On Oct 21, 2014, at 9:23 AM, Jared Mauch <ja...@puck.nether.net> wrote:

> Breaking tons of things is an interesting opinion of "why not”.

Eh.  Off the top of my head, I see two categories of breakage:

   1) things that hard-code a list of “real” TLDs, and break when their
expectations aren’t met, and

   2) things that went ahead and trumped up their own non-canonical TLDs for
their own purposes.

Neither of those seem like practices worth defending, to me.  Not worth going
out of one’s way to break, either, but…

And in the latter case, like “alternate roots,” that’s not an argument against
creating more TLDs…  They’ve already been created.  It’s an argument against
doing so in an uncoordinated manner, which is the source of the breakage.

                                -Bill