That is why the command line used to compile the assembly should be
saved and checked.  If you changed the build file and it causes a
command line setting to be changed the build will get executed.  This
gives you exactly what you are getting by depending on the build file
except that if you also change something unrelated to the build (like
add a comment) the build will not get executed.