Hi Gert, all,

> > ... Also, it's currently impossible to tell which entries are
> > links and which are just "holders" for child items, without waving the
> > mouse over each item... eg, Documentation and Contributing aren't
> > links, but Releases and Nightly Builds are.  Modifying the styles so
> > links are more obvious is definitely (again imho) a must.
>
> Feel free to provide a proposal. GUI/Web design isn't really my cup of tea.

I won't manage time tonight, but I'll try to send something through
tomorrow night.

> > Also, the default size of the menu on the left is taller than the page
> > itself!  If using a similar menu system to this, it might be worth
> > collapsing the user manual section by default, and also to combine
> > Releases and Nightly Builds into a single Downloads section, also
> > collapsed by default.
>
> The Release and Nightly Builds section do not just provide downloads. They
> also contain links to the docs matching each release/nightly build.
>
> > For the non-javascript people, the Downloads
> > link would replace the Releases and Nightly Builds links, since they
> > go to the same page anyway.
>
> That was a mistake in my proposal. The Nightly Builds item should have no
> link, or have the same links as the Archive section.

Does the tree script support adding "Collapse all" and "Expand all"
links to the bottom of the menu?  Useful for those times you just want
to get it out of the way, or when you want to see everything so you
can find what you're after... it also tends to make the "default"
state (expanded, partially expanded, etc) of the menu less critical.

> > Then again, it might just be an excuse to
> > put more content in the front page.
>
> Guess I'd prefer a good menu and more content ;-)

Doesn't really sound like a bad thing, does it? :-)

> > As a first cut, it certainly feels more functional (and professional
> > :-) than the current page.  I think it's certainly worth ironing out
> > any issues and updating the site with a trendy new look.
>
> For now, I'm only updating the home page itself. We'll need to look into
> modifying the other pages, while keeping it maintainable.

Definitely get it right before making changes everywhere :-)

Does sourceforge support server-side includes?  That could be a simple
way to get a common menu (and even the header) into every page in a
consistent fashion.

Alternatively, (and I'm reluctant to suggest this, mostly because of
the people expected to access the site, as Orion suggested) you could
modify the site to use a frameset... the menu could be moved into the
left-hand frame, with the option for the header to be in a top frame,
or in-line with the content.
The benefits are that navigation is consistent for all pages, plus the
download size for each page is much smaller, and the menu "remembers"
its own state between pages (since it is never reloaded).  The
drawbacks are of course that it is very hard to make a frames-based
website friendly to non-frames-enabled browsers, without providing a
second copy of the website that doesn't use frames... but does mean
twice the website maintenance!

At the same time as I look at the styles for the menu links, I'll look
at the site "web", and see how inter-linked everything is, see how
feasible it might be to create a site that's made for frames but still
usable without frames... unless you (or Nant's users) really don't
_want_ frames, of course.

> > Let me know if you want a hand with the script behind the hierarchical
> > menus, I'm not exactly a web designer, but I've done my dash with
> > javascript (including *shiver* cross-browser support) and would be
> > willing to look at any issues.
>
> Have a look at the "update" I sent as reply to Orion's feedback.

Excellent!  Works consistently under IE and FireFox... I don't use any
other browsers, so can't say how it works in anything else :-)

--
Troy