http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/1dTolB/TM

Dear Friends:

The Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues at the UN in
New York is over for this year.

As reported on our website, www.akha.org the statement
on behalf of the Akha people was registered.

The Thai Consul to Thailand's Permanent Mission to the
UN was surprised at the appearance of this statement
and that the Akha should have representation at such a
place.

The Thai consul denied that they had ever heard of any
problems with the hill tribe, let alone the Akha, in
Thailand. I was not amused. The Thai Consul said that
he was "interested in dialogue". Whether he will come
through with specifics remains to be seen, such as a
policy structure that will allow the Akha in Thailand
to have a dialogue without fear. Can he influence
this? That is the question he must answer.

However, from what was observable at the Forum, only
in its third year, the protest of the indigenous,
having their lands, their resources, their very
genetics, oil, minerals and lumber exploited is no
longer acceptable. The indigenous are increasingly
coming to the UN and making their voices heard.

In July the Working Group on Indigenous Issues will
meet in Geneva to continue to improve the effort to
pass the Draft Charter on Indigenous Rights. The main
difficulty with the draft is that of its many parts,
only two have gotten the agreement of the nation
states regarding the protection to natural and
cultural resources on indigenous lands. If everyone
has the same rights, some people will have to be a
little more creative about how they live the good
life.

Ultimately, it becomes an issue of knowing and
standing up for indigenous rights. The Akha will
increasingly be in the game. We will be funding Akha
people to go to the UN and Geneva in order to make
their case known.

The work with the Akha in Thailand continues, with the
establishment of numerous networks to continue the
reporting of abuses of the Akha people by security
forces. One of the priority items I discussed with the
Thai Consul was the seizure of Hooh Yoh rice lands and
of the general practice of seizing Akha rice lands by
Thai forestry, army and other projects. I also asked
him if he could identify under what law, I was
deported, for what offense against the country or
people of Thailand, apart from battling for civil
society, democracy and human rights. I am waiting for
the answer.

We continue to build lists of Akha prisoners and
numerous letters have started to come in from
prisoners whom we started mailings to, telling us of
life in prison, without the most basic necessities,
forced to work long hours, eat bad food, and seldom if
ever see anyone they love.

Please check out the link for prisons on the web site
and help support Akha prisoners.
We can supply you with names, addresses and other
assistance if you want to send letters or care
packages.
Basic toiletries, vitamins, and food can be sent to
the prisoners.

Prisoners recently released from Bangkok long term
prisons such as Bangkwang and Lard Yao told me that
they knew Akha prisoners in the prison and that they
were treated the worst of all the prisoners there.

I will be traveling to Germany and other parts of
Europe at the earliest opportunity to present the Akha
case to groups of people and politicians in those
countries.

>From contacts in New York, I have also started
communicating with a group of Pygmees in the Congo,
who face an extreme situation at the hands of Hutu
rebels who have fled Rwanda after the genocide there
and are now hiding in the forest on lands that the
Pygmee live on. Estimates are that as many as 70% of
the Pygmee women and girls have been raped by Hutu
forces and that HIV is as high as 50% in the Pygmee
population as a result. There is no current census due
to the crisis, but Pygmee populations may run as high
as 400,000 or much less, based on current numbers
supplied by a Pygmee run NGO in the Democratic
Republic of the Congo.

There is a new list for this effort.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I would also like to remind people, though I am out of
Thailand, the support of Akha projects is not over,
but on the contrary has gotten larger, spreading the
word internationally.

The first priority for donors is continued support of
the Akha projects that are still running in Thailand.
1. Human rights network. 2. Akha books and literacy.
3. Water systems.  4. A fish hatchery that we are
still working on. 5. Vitamins and first aid. 6. Seeds.
7. Prisoner support.

Thank you for your support in the past years. And we
more urgently need your continued financial support at
this time. If you can make a donation, no matter how
small, take this opportunity to make a difference in
the lives of the Akha people and help financially
support this work.

For many years I have had to work in Thailand with my
hands tied, working on old computers, broken
equipment, not enough money for fuel, but always
keeping on site to be able to respond some how to the
needs of the Akha.  Now with freedom of movement I
hope to be able to work that much more on behalf of
the Akha, but on an international level, working full
time to bring their plight to the world, and find
resources for investment in their communities, like so
many other communities in the world enjoy.  Like so
many other humans enjoy, a thing called freedom, a
thing called choice, control of their own communities
without fear of guns in the night or road side
detentions. Finding investment, not investment for
development, but investment to protect food security,
and to protect choices.

And now a happy story.
Just days before I was deported I stopped by the hut
of a widow in an Akha village. She had been arrested
many months before, over a year, on no substantial
charges other than going to get rice from a hut the
army said had drugs in it.  (drugs on a level that
might compare to a young person being found with a
joint of marijuana) She went to the Chiangrai prison
where I had also gone to visit her.

She was a widow, and had four children. Wondering if
there was any news of her release I went to her hut.
And low and behold, there she sat on the porch, with
all her family gathered around, just out of prison. I
was delighted to say the least. But then she told how
the judge held up a copy of the Akha Journal number
two and said that her case was stated there, and there
was not basis for her arrest or detention and she
should be released. The power of publishing. One happy
story out of so many which aren't. You can see her
case and picture on page 134 of the second journal.
Ms. Booh Saw May Yurh.

I will be getting the other sections of the journal
put in pdf form in the download section soon so that
you can see the whole thing there.

Thank you for your continued support of the Akha
projects and the great quantity of work and travel
that must now be done.

Matthew McDaniel
Akha Nation

=====