And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

sent by Dawn..thanks..:)

Hot Metal May Find Its Way To Your Dinner Table
http://www.progressive.org/cusac9810.htm
BY ANNE-MARIE CUSAC

  The Department of Energy has a problem: what to do with millions of tons
of radioactive metal. So the DOE has come up with an ingenious plan to
dispose of its troublesome tons of nickel, copper, steel, and aluminum. It
wants to let scrap companies collect the metal, try to take the
radioactivity out, and sell the metal to foundries, which would in turn
sell it to manufacturers who could use it for everyday household products:
pots, pans, forks, spoons, even your eyeglasses.

You may not know this, but the government already permits some companies,
under special licenses, to buy, reprocess, and sell radioactive metal:
7,500 tons in 1996, by one industry estimate. But the amount of this
reprocessing could increase drastically if the DOE, the Nuclear Regulatory
Commission (NRC), and the burgeoning radioactive metal processing industry
get their way. They are pressing for a new, lax standard that would do away
with the special permits and allow companies to buy and resell millions of
tons of low-level radioactive metal.

If the rules change, the metal companies could increase their output a
hundredfold. And the standard the companies seek could cause nearly 100,000
cancer fatalities in the United States, by the NRC's own estimate.

''We're looking at an exponential increase,'' says Diane D'Arrigo, a staff
member at the Nuclear Information and Resource Service, which is fighting
the push to recycle radioactive metal. ''Think about the metal you come
into contact with every day. Your IUD, and your bracelets, your silverware,
the zipper on your crotch, the coins in your pocket, frying pans, belt
buckles, that chair you're sitting on, the batteries that are in your car
and motorbike, the batteries in your computer.''

  A June 30 memorandum from John Hoyle, NRC Secretary, announces the
Commission's decision to establish a new, legal dose of radiation for
metals released from nuclear facilities.

''This level should be based on realistic scenarios of health effects from
low doses that still allows quantities of materials to be released,'' says
the letter. ''The rule should be comprehensive and apply to all metals,
equipment, and materials, including soil.''

  Metal companies want that standard to be in the vicinity of 10 millirems
per year. A millirem is a unit of measure, based on the standard man, that
estimates the damage radiation does to human tissue. The NRC studied the
health effects of such a standard back in 1990. It found: ''A radiation
dose of 10 mrem per year . . . received continuously over a lifetime
corresponds to a risk of about 4 chances in 10,000'' of fatal cancer. That
translates to 92,755 additional cancer deaths in the United States alone.

  Many scientists argue that any release of hot metals into the product
stream is a serious health hazard.

  John Gofman is a former associate director of Livermore National
Laboratory, one of the scientists who worked on the atomic bomb, and
co-discoverer of uranium-233. ''There is no safe dose or dose rate below
which dangers disappear. No threshold-dose,'' said Gofman. ''Serious,
lethal effects from minimal radiation doses are not 'hypothetical,' 'just
theoretical,' or 'imaginary.' They are real.''

  Karl Morgan, known as the father of health physics, shudders at the idea
of more and more radioactive metal entering people's homes. He is
particularly worried about dental fillings. ''You certainly don't want
people going around with radioactive teeth,'' he says.

  Some of the most dangerous radioactivity around the home, says Morgan,
will be the metals people unintentionally ingest. ''Some of these find
their way directly into the human body, especially copper and iron,
stainless steel [from] knives and forks,'' he says. ''It doesn't help any
cell in the human body if you send an alpha particle through it.''

  Richard Clapp, associate professor in the department of environmental
health at the Boston University Schools of Public Health, says you may soon
need to fear household products you have most contact with: ''If you're
sitting on it, or if it's part of your desk, or in the frame of your
bed--where you have constant exposure and for several hours,'' you will be
in most danger.

  Clapp, who published a study on the increases in leukemia and thyroid
cancers associated with low-level radiation exposure among people living
near a Massachusetts nuclear power plant, says radioactive metal recycling
will raise overall radiation levels. ''Who in their right mind would want
to do that?'' he asks. ''This is the legacy of an industry gone mad.''

  It's early August, and I'm attending the ''Beneficial Reuse'' conference
of the Association of Radioactive Metal Recyclers, in Knoxville, Tennessee.

  ''We were not always called Beneficial Reuse,'' says Val Loiselle,
chairman of the association, during his opening speech. ''In our first
year, we were called the Radioactive Scrap Metal Conference.''

  This is the sixth annual gathering of radioactive metal recyclers. There
is a special session for those interested in recycling depleted uranium and
a presentation on recycling radioactive concrete.

  ''I got my start in the commercial nuclear power business,'' says Leo
Hill, the general manager and president of GTS Duratek. ''Nowadays, when I
go by a scrap yard or an automobile wrecking place, I think, 'This stuff is
beautiful.' I'm in the garbage business, and I love it.''

  ''I was born a Hindu, and a central feature of the Hindu religion is
reincarnation,'' says Shankar Menon of Menon Consulting in Sweden. ''And
being trained as an engineer, it's just a short step to the recycling of
metals. I'm actually thinking of the soul in them.''

  But this conference is not so much about the soul of the metal as its
sale. ''In the scrap business, there's probably about $3 billion in the
region, if you count Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana,'' says Frederick Gardner,
who is in charge of business development for Decontamination and Recovery
Services of Oak Ridge, Tennessee. ''The cheaper we can handle this stuff,
the bigger business this will be.''

  Still, there are a few kinks to be worked out in the plan to reprocess
radioactive scrap: for instance, public opinion. ''What's it going to take
to get the public swung around to say, 'OK, I don't like it, but I guess
you've proven it's safe'?'' asks Gardner, who is making a presentation. He
answers his own question with an overhead that reads, The Main Point: It
All Starts With the Salesman.

  ''We can tackle the public on the notion that radioactivity is an
effluent, not a waste,'' says Loiselle, comparing radioactivity to car
exhaust. ''This industry has a right to effluence just like any other
industry. And it cannot be zero. No industry has zero effluence.''

  Peter Yerace, waste coordinator for the Department of Energy's Fernald
project in Ohio, displays an overhead slide: Public Perception Problems:
Fears of Radiation, Suspicion of DOE.

  Fernald has ''lots of copper,'' 120 tons of ingots, says Yerace. He
proposed releasing copper that was slightly contaminated with uranium.
''When I went in front of the public, I got the crap beat out of me,'' he
says. People asked, ''Are my kid's braces going to be made out of that
copper?'' Yerace told them the metal could enter consumer products. ''I
went as far as a copper IUD. That's what it's made of,'' he says. But he
tried to reassure them the metal would be of such low levels of
radioactivity that it wouldn't be dangerous.

   But while CO-2 sterilizes some surfaces, not all the ''hot spots'' on
radioactive metal can be scrubbed off. This is particularly true for metals
that are radioactive inside and out, which is one reason why companies
cannot legally reprocess them. The DOE and the private firms want to be
able to recycle these ''volumetrically contaminated'' metals, too.

  Loiselle explains that the government is getting away from measuring
exactly how much radiation it will allow in any given product. Instead, it
is making more general target assessments based on risk and is considering
setting an allowable dose standard. Many industry members advocate a
standard that would allow for the release of all metal estimated to give
off doses of radiation at 10 to 15 millirems per year. ''The dose shouldn't
be ridiculously low,'' Loiselle says. ''We've gone too far toward making it
zero. That's really not fair to the industry. Nothing is zero. Pick a
number, and you'll have a lot of friends here. We'd rather be regulated at
10 millirems or thereabouts.''

  As Loiselle explains it, the public has no idea what doses it encounters
in household products and car parts because the current release standards
for those who get special permits are set so close to zero that the
radiation is not measurable. ''The public health is better served by
something measurable,'' he says. ''In a sense, that means a looser or a
less stringent standard. Wouldn't it be better if it were something we
could measure?''

  Not all industry people agree with that. Steven Stansberry, business
development manager for Manufacturing Sciences Corporation, doesn't buy the
argument that the public needs a measurable standard. ''Personally, I'm not
an advocate against it because I work in the industry, and it doesn't scare
me,'' he tells me at his plant in Oak Ridge. ''But raising it just so you
know it's out there in the public seems a little backwards. If you can't
measure it, at the worst case it's minimal. At the best case, it's not
there,'' he says. ''If it's dose-based, you know it's there all the time.''

  Some scientists argue that exposure to continual low-dose radiation is
potentially more dangerous than a one-time high-level dose. ''The cancer
curve rises more steeply at low doses than high doses,'' says Steve Wing,
an epidemiologist at the University of North Carolina­Chapel Hill.

                                             ILLUSTRATION ©1998 RICHARD
DOWNS

  In the gravel lot outside U.S. Ecology in Oak Ridge, I am looking at
drums labeled radioactive and sludge and metal boxes (called B-25s or
Sea-Lands) identified by millirem dose rates--.4 mr/hr, .8 mr/hr, 2 mr/hr,
5 mr/hr. ''This is not a glamorous industry,'' says Tom Gilman, the
company's government accounts manager. In addition to handling low-level
radioactive wastes, says Gilman, U.S. Ecology recycles metals contaminated
with low-level radioactivity. Most come from commercial sites, but he says
some are from the DOE.

Companies pay U.S. Ecology to remove the radioactive metal from their
property. If the metal is not highly radioactive and is contaminated only
on the surface, the plant scrubs it, then sells it as clean scrap. From
there, the metal travels to a steel mill and enters the consumer market.
U.S. Ecology is ''turning waste into assets,'' says Gilman.

But Gilman is careful to say the assets his company is recycling into the
metal stream aren't completely clean. '''Acceptable' levels is the word to
use,'' he explains. ''There's always going to be some level of radioactivity.''

We enter what Gilman calls the survey building. Here, he says, workers
search bags with a Geiger counter to find hot pieces of trash.

''So the bags could have radioactive stuff in them?'' I ask.

  ''Anything in this room could have radioactive stuff in it,'' says
Gilman. ''Except us.'' He laughs.

  We leave the building. Nearby, sits a chirping Geiger counter. From the
pine woods, comes the long drone of locusts. ''This is the year for them,''
says Gilman.

In the next building, we pause near a large pile of bent and perforated
radioactive metal beams. ''This is structural steel,'' says Gilman.
''They're going to blast this, cutting out the hot spots to make new
products to keep America great.'' Gilman points toward my notebook,
gesturing with each word. ''Write that,'' he says. ''To keep America great.''

  Early in the 1980s, gold jewelry in Buffalo, New York, was a hot item.
When a local television station offered to survey gold jewelry, it turned
up three radioactive pieces in the first two days. ''As a result of this
finding, the New York State Health Department began a comprehensive
campaign in 1981 to find radioactive, contaminated jewelry,'' reported the
journal Health Physics in 1986. ''More than 160,000 pieces were surveyed,
and, of these, about 170 pieces turned out to be radioactive--mostly from
western New York and nearby Pennsylvania.'' News accounts from the early
eighties reported that at least fourteen people had developed finger cancer
and several people had suffered amputations of their fingers and even parts
of their hands as a result of the hot jewelry.

  The reports alleged that the radioactive gold came from the state-owned
Roswell Park Institute, a center for cancer research and treatment. The
rings contained small amounts of radon that had originally been used to
treat tumors. Most of the jewelry dated from the 1940s.

Two attempts to sue the state of New York over the occurrence--one by a
woman whose husband died after skin cancer metastasized throughout his
body, another by a woman whose finger had to be amputated--failed.
According to a May 14, 1983, A.P. report, the judge in one of the cases
''ruled that the clock on the statute of limitations begins running at the
time of injury.'' The court also ruled that Roswell Park could not be held
responsible because it was ''merely a hypothesis'' that the gold had come
from there.

The hot gold rings--and the cancer associated with them--may be a sign of
things to come.

While radioactive metal reprocessing may pose health threats to consumers,
it's the scrap metal workers and foundry workers who are likely to receive
the most exposure.

A 1987 NRC bulletin describes tiny, extremely hot particles less than one
millimeter in any direction (called radioactive fleas) that can cause
serious damage to people who accidentally touch them. Such minute but
extremely radioactive bits of metal could easily hide away in loads of
otherwise low-level metal.

Michael Wright, director of health, safety, and environment for the United
Steelworkers of America, claims there is also serious danger to workers
from low-level radioactivity in steel. ''You can't inhale a piece of
steel,'' says Wright. ''But if you melt it, there's a substantial risk of
breathing it in. That's orders of magnitude more dangerous.''

Ordinary precautions like wearing respirators won't be enough to protect
workers, says Wright. ''There isn't anything that protects people.''

In addition to cancers, ''these exposures also can cause neurological
problems,'' says Jackie Kittrell, a lawyer with the American Environmental
Health Studies Project, an Oak Ridge organization that represents workers
who have suffered heavy metal exposure and radiation poisoning while on the
job. Radioactive metal exposure can ''interfere with immune system
function,'' she says.

Even the Steel Manufacturers Association takes a dim view of radioactive
metal. Christina Bechak, vice president of the association, expresses a
concern that radiation will accumulate on the machines used for shredding
and smelting the metal. ''Scrap metal is valuable, but we don't want
radioactive scrap,'' she says. Nor is she happy with the proposal to let
companies release this metal freely. ''The detectors [in the factories] are
set very sensitive,'' says Bechak. She fears that extremely hot scrap will
be able to enter the plants in loads of low-level metal, since the
detectors do not distinguish between levels of radioactivity. If the
detectors sound an alarm for every shipment of low-level metal, the workers
may be tempted to ignore the warning or to set the detectors to a less
sensitive, and potentially more dangerous, reading. ''All the radioactive
metal is going to set off the detectors,'' she says.

The DOE is so eager to get radioactive metal off its hands that it has
hired an arm of British Nuclear Fuels, called BNFL, to do the job. The
British-government-owned company has already started work at several large
buildings on the K-25 site in Oak Ridge that were originally used to
manufacture highly enriched uranium for nuclear warheads as part of the
Manhattan Project. The $238 million contract stipulates that the company
may recycle for profit all the metals it recovers, including a large amount
of formerly classified nickel.

When British Nuclear Fuels released 7,000 metric tons of metal contaminated
with low-level radioactivity for recycling into consumer goods in Britain
earlier this year, it caused an uproar. A spokesman for British Nuclear
Fuels explained his philosophy to the London paper The Independent. ''It's
recycling,'' he said. ''If you have a cup of coffee, you don't throw the
cup away, you reuse it.''

BNFL's U.S. project has run into a roadblock. A coalition of environmental
groups and unions--including the Natural Re-sources Defense Council, the
Nuclear Information and Resource Service, and the Oil, Chemical, and Atomic
Workers Union--recently won a suit that claimed the Department of Energy
had neglected to consider the environmental impact of all the metal it
planned to release for recycling. The court ordered the DOE to perform an
Environmental Impact Statement. The Department of Energy acknowledges
100,000 pounds of metal have been shipped out already, but this metal, the
DOE claims, is clean.

Meanwhile, at the K-25 site in Oak Ridge, there have been problems this
summer that have nothing to do with BNFL. The DOE accidentally released two
hot metal items and claimed they had been thoroughly checked for radiation
contamination. In both cases, the state of Tennessee caught the hot
releases and returned them to the DOE. ''Unfortunately or fortunately,
however you look at it, the only pieces of metal the state looked at were
the ones found to be radioactive,'' says John Owsley, assistant director of
the DOE's oversight division.

''In years past, a lot of material went out of these facilities that
wouldn't meet commercial-world standards,'' says Michael Mobley, the
director of the division of radiological health in the Tennessee Department
of Energy and Conservation. And the cavalier attitude at the DOE is no
help, he says. ''There's been some issue about this: 'Well, if we miss one
or two spots it's no big deal because the standard is so strict.' If every
once in a while stuff is going out that's hotter than standard, how much is
going out that's hotter than standard? Their survey processes are just
going to evolve into nothing.''