Subject: Response from National Chief Phil Fontaine re Gustafsen Lake and
Ipperwash
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 15:11:14 -0500

The following is National Chief Fontaine's response to your concerns
expressed regarding the above-mentioned issues:

"This is in response to your e-mails to my office in which you relate to me
some of your concerns regarding the situation and issues at Gustafsen Lake
in British Columbia and Ipperwash Provincial park in Ontario.

I wish to thank you for your interest and support for First Nations rights
and issues. It is very encouraging to hear your views and to know that
Canadians are concerned about the need to expeditiously address the many
outstanding issues faced by First Nations.

You are quite correct in pointing out that the Assembly of First Nations
has been directed by the Chiefs of the First Nations to assist them in
bringing about a resolution for dealing with the many difficult issues that
threaten to lead us into conflict with Canada. For my part, it is a matter
of deeply-held personal belief that all of the problems and issues facing
Canada and the First Nations can be settled and resolved if all parties
commit themselves to an open, principled and constructive dialogue.

Clearly, however, there is much that needs to be done to ensure that a fair
and just process is in place to diffuse the frustration and lack of
opportunity for dialogue and shared understanding that has served to force
our communities into the kind of unfortunate situations we have seen at
Oka, Ipperwash and Gustafsen Lake.

You are, however, incorrect, to assume that nothing is being done to deal
with the Resolution 19/97. In fact, quite the opposite is the case. It
might be helpful for you to know that the AFN does not currently have
either the staff of the resources to pursue the full implementation of this
very important resolution.

discussions with the Department of Justice Canada to establish a Justice
Unit at the AFN that will be able to respond to the many incidents of
injustices that arise, as well as implementing justice-related resolutions
like the one you have written me about.

Furthermore, as National Chief, I have been very involved in and concerned
directly with Justice issues. My involvement, both publicly and behind the
scenes and at the request of the people directly involved, has resulted in
an independent investigation in the very sad circumstances whereby an RCMP
constable shot and killed Connie and Ty Jacobs at the Tsuu T'ina Nation in
March of this year. Also, with regard to this incident, the AFN has been
asked to conduct an independent review into the circumstances that led up
to this incident, including factors that may have played a role - such as
race and gender. We are pursuing this as vigourously as possible.

In addition, when Harley Timmers was shot and killed by an RCMP officer in
Whitehorse this past summer, Grand Chief Shirley Adamson asked for my
intervention to support their call for a public inquiry. That support was
immediately forthcoming.

In the overall view, the fundamental issue behind many confrontations is
land rights. To address this issue, my office has been diligently pursuing
a joint policy development process with the federal government to bring
about fundamental reform of the existing federal specific claims policy and
process. The approach of the AFN, at the national level, has been to
attempt to rectify the policy environment that is supposed to facilitate
the peaceful settlement and resolution of exactly these kinds of issues
before they progress into circumstances involving dangerous confrontation.

I can truly appreciate your frustration at the amount of time it is taking
to seek proper investigations and reviews with regard to police aggression
towards First Nations peoples, as I am directly involved with my staff to
make progress on these issues. However, I wish to assure that all that can
possibly be done, given limited staff and resources, is being done and more
will continue to be done.

In protection of First Nations Aboriginal and Treaty Rights,
Phil Fontaine
National Chief

Melissa McKelvey
Assembly of First Nations
10th Floor
1 Nicholas Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1N 7B7
Telephone: (613) 241-6789
Fax: (613) 241-5808
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

TELL THE AFN TO IMPLEMENT ITS OWN RESOLUTION NOW!
 Phil Fontaine, AFN Grand Chief - mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 cc: Chief Stewart Philip,Union of BC Indian Chiefs -
     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]