And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: "Robert Quiver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Fwd: Hi!
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 10:07:30 PDT

Here is a letter from "Jake" Kaufman, one of the CPT observers,
requested to be in presence at the camp on Laframboise Island in
Pierre SD by the SDPeace&Justice Ctr. She forwarded me a ltr from one
of her friends. Check this out.
Robert
----------------------------
>Subject: Hi!
>Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 00:57:04
>
>Wierd, huh:  These are my pastors at the Lutheran Church in
Jerusalem...go figure!  They went to Wounded Knee as observers in '73;
we'll be
in their and he churches prayers and thoughts i'm sure...  just a note
of encouragement. Jake

>>Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 03:24:28 -0400
>>
>>Dear Jake,
>>
>>Just got your "explanation" of what you're doing these days and it
reminded me that nothing changes very much or very fast.  The reference in
the article to confrontations with the American Indian Movement in the
1970's brought right to the fore the memory of having packed up our car
with foodstuffs while living in Northfield, Minnesota, and driving
through the night for Wounded Knee with a friend.  We had no organization
behind us, no CPT or church group -- we just thought we needed to go!  Wounded
Knee was effectively under siege; food had been cut off from the
demonstrators; we knew that it was unlikely we could get through, but felt
called to
go anyway.

>>It was our first experience of being in a combat zone, and my first
>>experience of Reservation poverty.  It was an important time for
us.  .........

>>Once there, the NCC welcomed us as official observers.  We put on
our NCC armbands and waited out the next few days amidst flares and sporadic
>>gunshots.  We talked with the collected military/police force,
read, wrote, watched, ate the food we couldn't get into Wounded Knee, and
before
long there was an easing of the tensions.  I can't even remember exactly
what brought that about, but it was somehow seen as a victory at the
time for AIM.  We entered Wounded Knee jubilantly amidst drumming and
dancing.
>>Later, more violence erupted and the symbolic white prairie
Episcopal church which appears in many of our photos was burned.

>>So, Jake, we're connected to you -- from Hebron to South Dakota, in
reverse order, a generation removed!!