And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 00:20:26 -0400
From: Landis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

         THE INDIAN HELPER
                ~%^%~
          A WEEKLY LETTER
             -FROM THE-
 Indian Industrial School, Carlisle, Pa.
 VOL. XIV. FRIDAY, May 26, 1899  NUMBER 31
  MY WISH.
         -------
  I do not ask to see the goal
    Whereto my spirit tends.
  For well I know 'tis not my soul
    That in death's shadow ends.
  I only wish that earth may be,
    Through some small aid of mine,
  Less steeped in self-complacency,
    More filled with what's divine.

  I only trust that man may dwell
    In selfless heavens, now here;
  Knowing that all that is, is well.
    And all that shall appear!
  When this my earthly life is o'er;
    Then from the vast Unseen,
  If 'tis thy will, O God, withdraw
    The veils that now do screen.
  ARTHUR E. LOCKE
             In Every Other Sunday.
 ==================
    THE SOCIETY YEAR OVER.
   ---------
   The Standard and Invincible Societies combined gave a very enjoyable
evening to the school last Friday night.
  A debate upon the question:
  Resolved, That the United States should adopt the expansion policy,
was the chief part of the entertainment, but excellent music was
provided by the orchestra under the charge of James Wheelock, and there
were declamations by Wesson Murdock, and Artie Miller, besides a most
laughable dialogue in which Isaac Seneca, Jesse Palmer and Charles
Roberts were the actors.
  Martin Wheelock, Ex-President of Invincibles, made a few opening
remarks of welcome and introduced Mr. Dennison Wheelock, to preside for
the evening.  Mr. Wheelock's remarks were appropriate for the occasion,
saying in part that having been at the school for 14 years and taken
part in every society from the beginning he could say without hesitation
that there is no part of the school curriculum that is more helpful and
entertaining than these literary events.  He referred to the early days
of debate, and to some of the first students who make their mark then as
orators, mentioning especially the name of the lamented Howard Logan,
whose brilliant intellect was

  recognized.  He spoke of the question to be taken up for the evening
as one which was being discussed by the leading men of our day at
present, and concluded with the remark that there is nothing that proves
more conclusively the capability of the Indian for education, than the
strides he has taken in the last few years toward the highest manhood,
physically, morally and spiritually.
  The principal speakers of the debate were James Johnson and Frank
Beale on the affirmative, and John Warren and Frank Beaver on the
negative.  Each speaker was thoughtful in his arguments and brought out
such reasoning and logic on both sides that the judges - Mr. Mason, of
Jamestown, N.Y., Mr. Snyder and Mr. Sowerby - complimented them saying
that they arrived at a decision with some difficulty, but after weighing
every point finally concluded that the affirmative had won the debate.
  At the close, Major Pratt was called upon to give his sentiments upon
expansion and quite warmed to the subject.  we must not pass over this
account of the evening without special mention of the excellent solos
rendered by Robert Bruce, on his euphonium.  He thrilled his audience
with the sweetness and accuracy of tones produced.  Mr. Harkness
presided at the bass viol, which helped the orchestra greatly, as the
instrument owned by the organization is a poor one, and we have not as
yet an expert at handling the big bow.  The glee club received an
encore, and the tableau was much enjoyed.
 =================
            Enigma.
  I am made of 9 letters.
  My 9, 5, 7 is found in trees.
  My 2, 8, 6 some birds do when they fly.
  My 4, 2, 3, 5, 1, some croquet players do when not seen.
  My whole is something at Carlisle that is just now more beautiful than
it will probably be again this year.
 ---------------
  ANSWER TO LAST WEEK'S ENIGMA:  Strawberry patch.
(page 2)
         THE INDIAN HELPER
         PRINTED EVERY FRIDAY
                --AT THE--
Indian Industrial School, Carlisle, Pa.,
          BY INDIAN BOYS.
---> THE INDIAN HELPER is PRINTED by Indian
boys, but EDITED by The Man-on-the-band-stand
         who is NOT an Indian.
    P r i c e -- 10  c e n t s  p e r  y e a r
Entered in the P.O. at Carlisle as second
        class mail matter.
Address INDIAN HELPER, Carlisle, Pa.
       Miss Marianna Burgess, Supt. of Printing.
Do not hesitate to take the HELPER from the
Post Office for if you have not paid for it
some one else has.  It is paid for in advance.
  Rachel Long says that she likes her new country home very much, at Mt.
Holly, N.J.
  Miss Rebecca Girton, of Newtown, says in her letter of renewal, that
she has taken the HELPER for ten years, and cannot do without it."
  Jacob Cobmoosa orders change of address which shows that he is going
to leave Vandecar, and take up his abode at Mt. Pleasant, Michigan.
  Ben Hardison, who has been in the cattle business since he went to his
Colorado home a year or two ago thinks of giving up cattle as it is so
exposing, and taking up farming.
  We are sorry to learn of the death of little Fannie Jackson who went
to her home in North Carolina, before Christmas.  It will be remember4ed
that Miss Campbell went as far as Washington with her.
  Laura Ammon is spending her fourth summer at Bethayres, and she says
she likes it more and more.  She thinks she has a lovely country home
and her health is good and she is happy.  Laura expresses a hope that
her little brother will come to Carlisle.
  The concerts given by the band on Saturday evenings these days are
much appreciated.  The programme for tomorrow evening will be: 1. March,
Charlatan-Sousa; 2. Overture, Rienzi-Wagner; 3. Chant de Espana-Ripley;
4. The Trumpeter's Dream-Wilson; 5. Gems of Stephen Foster-Tobani; 6.
Sacred Song, Calvary-Rodney; 7. Medley Schottische-Schetter; 8. Star
Spangled Banner.
  Charles Antoinne is farming for himself in Nebraska and has 215 head
of cattle.  He says "I am trying to make use of what little education I
have received from dear old Carlisle.  I am very thankful to Major
Pratt. I am getting pretty good wages and have my farm besides, but I
never expect to strike a place like Carlisle in my life, and I am sorry
for it."  Through the kindness of Mr. Morrett, we get the above.

  Miss Lillian Complainville, '98, who is now at Grand Junction, Colo.,
has missed the HELPER for three weeks, and says we "cannot realize what
comfort it gives to one so far away from home."  Miss Lillian's home is
in Idaho, but we reckon she thinks of Carlisle as one of her homes.
  Invitations are out for Metzger College and Dickinson College
Commencements, the former to come next week beginning with Sunday's
Baccalaureate Sermon and ending with Thursday evening's lawn reception;
the latter beginning June 3, and ending Wednesday, with President and
Mrs. reed's reception June 7th.  Both events will be attended with the
usual festivities and literary treats.
  Miss Nettie Buckles, '99, has arrived at her destination, the Puyallup
School, Tacoma, Washington, and her first impressions are very
pleasant.  The school is delightfully located overlooking Puget Sound.
She has a nice room and has found charming people who have not allowed
her to get homesick.  She saw many things along the way that interested
her, but the prairie dogs in Wyoming and Nebraska made her laugh.  The
horses that were running wild brought wishes for one of them.  She sends
love and greetings to her friends at Carlisle.  We get this through the
kindness of Miss Seonia, into whose letter we were allowed to steal a
peep.
  Our baseball boys, owing in various reasons, have not played what
might be called ball this season until Tuesday afternoon, when Dickinson
came out to "practice" a little with them.  Although our pitcher had a
lame arm and the boys were far from good condition owing to vaccinated
arms they made the Dickinsonians breathe a little rapidly.  Dickinson
had first bat, and received no mark on the score sheet except a round
little naught, then the Indians to keep things even did the same thing.
For four innings the Dickinsonians labored hard to score, but could not
make it, while the Indians scored one in the third and one in the fourth
inning.  Then by a costly error, our boys allowed them a run while in
the same innings we won nothing.  Then in the seventh each made another
cipher; so at the beginning of the eighth the score was exactly tie and
playing seemed about even while excitement on the bleachers was at the
high-water mark.  Our pitcher, Louis LeRoy, gave out, and we had no man
to take his place who had had practice, so the Dickinsonians were given
bases on balls, which told against us.  They got another run in the
eighth inning while we received no more, which made the score 3 to 2 in
favor of Dickinson.  We will given them another "practice" game on
Decoration Day on the College field.  Our boy's arms are still sore, but
they will do their best.
 TUESDAY'S SCORE:
Dickinson . . . . . . 000011010 . . . 3
Indian  . . . . . . . 001100000 . . . 2
 ---------------------------
    Schedule for Future Ball Games.

 May 27, Gettysburg, at Gettysburg.
   " 30, Dickinson, here.
 June 3, Albright, at Myerstown.
   " 10, Harrisburg Country Club, at Harrisburg.
(page 3)
  Mr. Kensler spent Sunday in Philadelphia.
  The roofs are taking on a new dress of paint.
  Nettie Horne has come back from the county.
  Miss Barclay taught in No. 10 during Mrs. Cook's absence.
  Assistant Disciplinarian Ralston is off on a few days' leave.
  Miss Lida Standing has gone to Washington to visit Miss Cummins.
  Rev. R.B. Moore, D.D., of Vineland, N.J., spent Thursday evening with
Miss Paull.
  "The ground is not damp," saith the idiot who is sitting in the grass
too soon after a rain.
  Blackchief made the two runs that were scored on Tuesday, no wonder he
was called "the mascot"
  Mrs. Culbertson who wen with us was Miss Sharp, was out paying calls
on friends Saturday evening.
  Ursinus at Norristown, came off victorious on Saturday in a game of
ball with our boys, by a score of 18 to 8.
  Major and Mrs. Pratt, Miss Nana, and Mr. and Mrs. Mason, of Jamestown,
N.Y., went to Philadelphia on Tuesday.
  Mrs. Cook returned on Sunday evening from her home in Connecticut,
having had a delightful little rest, she claims.
  This week the school has been inspected pretty thoroughly by our
Colored Brethren who have been in Convention in Carlisle.
  Mr. and Mrs. Mason Pratt and children - Master Dick and Misses Sarah,
Marion and Roxanna came over to spend Sunday at the school.
  Miss Forster and Miss Seonia have gone to New York City to attend the
Eastern Drawing Teachers' Association, to be gone a few days.
  Miss Carter took a little trip to Philadelphia on Friday returning
Saturday.  while there she was the guest of Mr. and Mrs. A.N. Burgess.
  Miss Wilson, assistant tat the girls' quarters, is taking a vacation
at her home in Washington.  She will not return to Carlisle, but has not
left the service.
  Koklilook and Coogidlore, the Alaskan girls who have been staying with
Miss Edge of Downingtown, for a few weeks have returned looking in fine
condition, well and happy.
  Christin Redstone has returned from her country home quite ill.  Miss
Elizabeth Hunter, of Philadelphia, a friend of the Russels, with whom
Christine has lived, brought her.
  So many girls having gone out to country homes the sewing department
is not now overcrowded.  All the country boys and girls have been
supplied with needful garments for the summer.  There is always plenty
to do in this busy department, and to keep up the demand for clothing
means work and management.
  Charles Roberts did fine catching on Tuesday.  Captain Miller played a
star game.  Caleb Sickles took LeRoy's place, and it being his first
effort in the box with the first team he threw a little wildly at the
beginning, but Sickles bids fair of making a fine left-handed pitcher.

  Miss Jackson, Miss Higman and Miss Heiks, of Metzger College,
Carlisle, and Miss Forster, of Harrisburg, were guests of Misses Cutter
and Forster at dinner on Saturday evening.
  How would you like to drink the water you wash in?  To sleep with your
head under the covers and breathe over and over again the foul air that
comes from your lungs, is just about as bad, for your health.
  Ray Funk has taken up his summer abode with Mrs. Howe in the South
Mountain.  It always does Ray good to go to the mountains.  Mrs. Howe's
home at Hunter's Run has become quite famous as a health resort for our
school.
  Bert Charles has gone to his home in Jackson, Alaska.  Bert has not
been well for a few weeks.  We hope he will get entirely well, for he is
one of our faithful boys, of good, honest character, and deserving of
health and happiness.
  Our neighbor, Judge Henderson, was over on Monday making a business
call, and proposes that next time he comes to wear a different hat,
something like one he saw which he complimented as becoming to the
person.  Let us keep a watch out for the Judge and his new hat.
  The sociable on Saturday evening was given that all might take a look
at Professor Schurr's collection by electric light.  By some the affair
was called a bug sociable, and a wag suggested, "better that than
sociable bugs."  The Man-on-the-band-stand immediately called for a fan.

  It was a little difficult for Dickinson representatives on the
bleachers to give the college yell on Tuesday, for every time they
started up our small fry began a general hooting.  We are not noted for
"rooting" but on Tuesday we gave the players more than usual
encouragement in that line, and it helped.
  On Tuesday, the Dickinson College baseball men showed themselves to be
gentle, and they deserve the name they have son this season for their
excellent playing.  Umpire Hare is a cool-headed man for the place,
rendering fair decisions and wise judgments at critical times.
  Another of our school force married: On May 17th, Miss McCommon of the
sewing department was wedded to Mr. Harry T. Rambo, of Philadelphia.
The ceremony took place at the home of the bride's sister, Mrs. A.B.
Beisel, on North College street.  The newly wedded couple are living in
Philadelphia.
  Professor Schurr says that a single fly in one season under favorable
conditions propagates 150,000,000 flies, but they have enemies which
feed upon them and keep the numbers down.  In the stomach of one bird
her found 3000 flies and mosquitoes.  For this reason alone we should
not kill the birds. They save us from being eaten up by insects, and
save the farmers' crops.  We hope the little fellows who have to give up
their slings, will not feel sorry any more because they are not
permitted to shoot at the birds in the trees about the school.  The
robins and other birds are very friendly with us as a school this year,
and we must try to keep them so.
(page 4)
       UNUSUAL INTEREST.
 ------------
  Not for many a day has the school as a school and as individuals
become so absorbed in a subject as it has this week in the collection
placed in the gymnasium by Professor Schurr, the eminent naturalist.
  Note books were out on all occasions and although the Professor is a
little difficult to understand on account of his German accent, he was
listened to with rapt attention whenever he spoke or wherever he
appeared as the center of a group explaining the life and habits of the
curious birds, butterflies, beetles, snakes, etc, he has in his
collection.
  The Professor's talks and exhibition have been an inspiration.  We
will view nature and animal life through wiser eyes now than heretofore.

  Professor Schurr gave but one regular lecture before the student body,
in Assembly Hall, and although his talk was an hour and a half long,
rarely have we seen the students keep so quiet in close attention.
  Indians are certainly natural naturalists, eagerly taking such lessons
as the Professor gave through story and illustration, and profiting by
them.
  The repulsive worm which one feels like killing on sight is changed
into a thing of beauty and interest.
  The Professor would have us watch the worm; watch the birds and the
animals and learn lessons from them.  Each little insect is doing its
duty quietly.  We are all made by the same Creator and get our food from
the same table, and the works of the little creatures around us are most
wonderful.
  The busy bee and the little ant were held up as examples on industry.
We are ignorant of their ways and the habits of insect and bird life in
general because we go about our work in such a noisy manner scaring
everything away from us.
  We need education, but we need wisdom more; we need to get acquainted
with the laws of nature, and thus learn of God's great creation.
  So many of us have eyes but see not, and have ears but hear not.
There is no greater joy than to be brought close to nature.
  There is no empire on the whole globe which shows so much law, order
and discipline as the ant in his little kingdom.
  The speaker asked if we could get better exercise than by going out
into the fields and climbing hills and mountains seeking for butterflies
and specimens and studying nature.
  He would have us leave our bicycles behind and depend upon our legs if
we would get the

best exercise, and grow in health and vigor.
  The stories of the silk worm were intensely interesting, and when he
said that the process of manufacturing silk was known 2700 years before
Christ, we could but feel insignificant in our boasted civilization.
  There are 395 varieties of silk worm, and after his story of the
little caterpillar that weaves the threads around his own body, making
350,000 elliptical motions in spinning a thread never less than 300
yards long and sometimes 1800 yards in length, making a tomb so strong
that man is not able to pull it apart, we felt still more insignificant
as individuals and workers.
  The Professor is a great friend of the sparrow, and refuted in strong
terms the popular notion that the sparrow drives all other birds away.
He gave illustrations of the friendliness of the sparrow to other birds,
but his heart went out in great bitterness against the industries that
catch our birds by the millions in nets two and three miles long, all
for the hats of women and for the markets of the world.
  The Professor became so interested in the interest manifested by his
Indian audience that the Man-on-the-band-stand believes he would be
talking yet, had not the Major reminded him that the hour was late.  The
hypnotic spell exercised by pupil and speaker one over the other was
broken; the end came, and there was such a round of applause as is not
often given here in honor of a scientific lecturer.
 ==================
   SICKLES RECEIVES HONORABLE MENTION.
 --------------
  The Dickinsonian in a report of the Spring Sports which came off May
10 at Dickinson College has this to say of Caleb Sickles, '98, who is
not a "prep" at Dickinson:
  The first event on the program was one of the most exciting.  This was
a relay race between our preparatory school and Mercersburg Academy.
Mercersburg evidently had a faster team than Dickinson preparatory and
the first four-fifths of the mile were marked by a continually
increasing gap between the two runners, in favor of Mercersburg.  But
when the crowd saw young Sickles of Dickinson take his place at the line
and wait on tiptoes to touch the hand of his panting colleague, and then
dash off on the last lap with an astonishingly increasing speed, the
chances of our preps became suddenly bright, but the distance was too
great to be made up, and Mercersburg came in first, although their lead
was quite perceptibly decreased by Sickles who was heartily cheered.
 Transcribed every week from the Carlisle Indian School newspaper
collection of the Cumberland County Historical Society by Barbara
Landis, Carlisle Indian School Research - http://www.epix.net/~landis.

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html