And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] (S.I.S.I.S.) writes:

JUDGE RESERVES DECISION ON SHOOTING DEATH
Canadian Press, June 8, 1999, by Nanda Tieri

[S.I.S.I.S. note:  The following mainstream news article may contain biased
or distorted information and may be missing pertinent facts and/or context.
It is provided for reference only.]

TORONTO (CP) - A judge will decide Wednesday whether lawyers for Ontario
Premier Mike Harris can hold off on the delivery of documents related to
the shooting death of a native protester in 1995. Justice Gloria Epstein
reserved her decision after hearing the lawyers' request Tuesday in the
wrongful death lawsuit brought by George's family. Defence lawyer Dennis
Brown said if the stay is not granted, the allegations could cause
"irreparable harm" to the premier's image and to the public interest.

George was shot and killed by acting Sgt. Kenneth Deane on Sept. 6, 1995,
when police confronted natives protesting the alleged desecration of their
ancestors' burial grounds at the Ipperwash park on Lake Huron.

Harris has denied any involvement in the death.

George's family believes police were acting under order from Harris and
other senior government ministers. The family has been pressuring the
premier to comply with disclosure rules and file an affidavit of any
documents relating to orders his government gave police.

Brown argued for a hold on the release of documents at least until June 15,
when the court will be asked to remove Harris, Solicitor-General Bob
Runciman and Attorney- General Charles Harnick from the lawsuit. "It's not
just for Mr. Harris it is for the office that he holds," said Brown about
the request.

But the judge asked why the premier should be treated differently than the
anyone else named in a lawsuit. "We have to apply the laws equally," said
the judge, who noted that Harris' resistance could also be deemed to be
harmful to his image.

Just prior to last Thursday's election that re-elected Harris for his
second term as premier, Harris told reporters that he thought his lawyers
were co-operating and providing all the documents necessary. "I see a very
large contradiction between what Mr. Harris has said in public and what his
lawyers are doing in court," Murray Klippenstein, one of the Georges'
family lawyers, said in an interview Tuesday. Klippenstein has said the
affidavit of documents, originally due in November of 1998, should have
been handed over no later than March 3, 1999. He said a stay in the short
term would be a minor setback, but a lengthy stay could delay the case for
years. "I think, regardless, the George family will continue their fight,"
he said.

Since the shooting, George's family have demanded a public inquiry in light
of documents that suggested Harris had directed police to use force in
removing the protesters from the park.

Acting-Sgt. Kenneth Deane was convicted of criminal negligence causing
death in the shooting but is appealing.

The Ontario government has said repeatedly that no inquiry would be
contemplated while aspects of the case are still before the courts.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:

More information on Aazhoodena (aka Ipperwash):
   http://kafka.uvic.ca/~vipirg/SISIS/Ipperwash/arch01.html

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is
distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed
a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit
research and educational purposes only.

:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
    S.I.S.I.S.   Settlers In Support of Indigenous Sovereignty
        P.O. Box 8673, Victoria, "B.C." "Canada" V8X 3S2

        EMAIL : <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        WWW: http://kafka.uvic.ca/~vipirg/SISIS/SISmain.html

    SOVERNET-L is a news-only listserv concerned with indigenous
    sovereigntist struggles around the world.  To subscribe, send
    "subscribe sovernet-l" in the body of an email message to
                     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
          For more information on sovernet-l, contact S.I.S.I.S.