And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 08:29:54 -0400
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: Lynne Moss-Sharman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CSIS: Dudley George and others unarmed

London Free Press  June 12, 1999
June 12, 1999

Police told natives unarmed, 'spy' claims

                                Canadian Press
  ST. CATHARINES -- A government spy agency and the Ontario Provincial
Police were
continually informed that Indians occupying a provincial park were unarmed,
says a man who says
he spied for both government groups.
 Native protester Dudley George was shot and killed by provincial police
officer Kenneth Deane on
Sept. 6, 1995, when police confronted natives demonstrating against the
alleged desecration of their
ancestors' burial grounds at Ipperwash Provincial Park.
 "I never saw a gun," Jim Moses, a native from the St. Catharines area,
said yesterday.
 Moses, 55, a Delaware Indian, said he was sickened to hear George was shot
dead by a member
of the heavily-armed OPP tactical squad after Indians occupied the empty
park near Sarnia in a land
claims dispute.
 "I was sick," Moses said. "I felt empty . . . It was totally unnecessary."
 Moses said he never saw George with a gun or any other weapon, and he
considered George a
joker, not a fighter.
 Moses said he was telephoned in 1994 by an officer from the Canadian
Security Intelligence
Service.
 "They had not a clue about the situation on the Indian reserves," Moses
told the paper. "That's why
they latched onto me."
 Spokespeople for CSIS and the provincial police declined comment yesterday.
 Moses said he made three trips to Ipperwash, beginning in the spring of
1995 and ending a week
before the fatal shooting, and also spied on other reserves. He told people
there he was a journalist
working on a story about the Mohawk Warriors, he said.
 Moses said he spied because he wanted to fight an attempt by Mohawk
Warriors to expand their
influence from eastern Ontario to other reserves.
 He said he was paid between $400 and $800 monthly from CSIS for expenses
over a 30-month
period beginning in 1994. He also said he was an provincial police
informant from 1988 to 1997.
 Moses said he discussed violence with leaders at Ipperwash, but was told
they wouldn't have a
chance in any fight with the military, and that non-violence was the
preferred route.
 Since the shooting, George's family has demanded a public inquiry in light
of documents that suggest
Ontario Premier Mike Harris directed police to use force. The family has
also filed a wrongful death
suit against the government and police.
 Acting-Sgt. Kenneth Deane was convicted of criminal negligence causing
death in the shooting but is
appealing.

              "Let Us Consider The Human Brain As
               A Very Complex Photographic Plate"