And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: Robert Eurich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/WPlate/1999-06/20/163l-062099-idx.html

<clipped excerpt>

Activists Team Up Against 'Redskins'
Protesters at Rally Call For Name Change

By Daniel A. Grech
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, June 20, 1999; Page C05

Suzan Shown Harjo, a Cheyenne, can barely bring herself to say it. The
word that is the name of a beloved football team to thousands is, to
her, a hideous racial slur.

Yesterday, she and several dozen others gathered to rally support in the
fight against the word: Redskins.

"Change the Name! An Interfaith Gathering to End Racism in Sports," held
at the National City Christian Church in Northwest Washington yesterday,
featured emotionally charged testimonials, poems, songs and prayer.

"Redskin" is the single most insulting word a Native American can be
called in the English language, said Harjo, the event's organizer and a
District resident. "By using the name, people don't even know they are
engaging in a tradition of racism."

The speakers were surrounded by Native American drums and wool blankets.
A handmade satin quilt of the Morning Star, a symbol for crop fertility
to Native Americans, hung behind them. The event also included video
clips of movies that present stereotypical images of Native Americans,
such as Disney's 1953 animated version of "Peter Pan," and pictures of
fans at college and professional sporting events imitating Native
Americans.

"We're mascots; we're not humans," Keith Harper, a member of the Native
American Rights Fund, told the audience. "If you dehumanize us, then you
can enslave us, then you can commit genocide against us."

About 60 people attended the gathering, which had 35 sponsors, including
the 14 top national Native American groups and a number of religious and
ethnic associations.

<end excerpt>
--
American Indian Sports Team Mascots
http://www.geocities.com/~earnestman/1indexpage.htm

"Little drops of rain wear away the greatest of stones."

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html