From: "Monroe Gilmour" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Friends,
The United Methodist Church in western North Carolina has come out urging its 1146 churches in the area to work toward the elimination of American Indian mascots.  Attached is the lead editorial from the Asheville Citizen-Times (as it appears on our web page).  Please let the Buncombe Co. Supt. of Schools know how important you think this action is and whether he will personally work to bring about change at Erwin High School.  If he replies, please let us know.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Thanks for all your support!!
Monroe Gilmour, Coordinator
WNCCEIB
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.main.nc.us/wncceib/IndianMascotIssue.htm

[excerpt]
ASHEVILLE CITIZEN-TIMES Friday, June 18, 1999 EDITORIAL

 Methodists take a stand for dignity
                   of humanity

Methodists representing 1,146 churches throughout Western North
Carolina went on record at Lake Junaluska last week affirming the the
dignity of Native Americans. They asked local churches to work to
eliminate demeaning mascots or nicknames in schools, colleges and
universities.

Their action should have a direct effect on Methodists-related schools
that might have symbols that demean American Indians--and a
far-reaching effect, given the influence that members of the church wield
in the society at large.

The church had earlier stated its position on the issue by asking the
Buncombe County Board of Education to discontinue the use of the
words "squaw" and "warriors" as sports teams mascots and nicknames
at Erwin High School. The school did abandon the controversial name
for the girls' athletic team in favor of "Lady Warriors."................

<<<<=-=-=                                  =-=-=>>>>
"We simply chose an Indian as the emblem.
 We could have just as easily chosen any
uncivilized animal."
  Eighth Grade student writing about his school's
  mascot, 1997

<<<<=-=http://www.tdi.net/ishgooda/ =-=>>>>

IF it says:
"PASS THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW...."
Please Check it before you send it at:

<<<<=-=-=FREE LEONARD PELTIER!!!=-=-=>>>>