And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 14:32:23 -0400 (EDT)
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: "Sulian S.E.Herney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Enviro's sell-out forests

>Dear Friends and Colleagues,
>
>Below you will find a press releases from Sulian Stone Eagle Herney and
Steve Lawson of the First Nations Environmental Network regarding the
signing of an agreement between Greenpeace and MacMillian Bloedel.  Oddly, a
short while after the environmentalists signed an agreement which included
that they would promote Bloedel as an "Eco-foresters" in European countries,
Bloedel was bought out by Wysenhouser.  Did the support of the
'environmental groups' up clinch the deal?   Time will tell.

>       But we do know that the environmental groups signed the deal without
consulting with local community members who have stood on the front lines
for many years protecting the old growth forest of Clayoquot Sounds which
includes Meares Island.   We know that the Sierra Club raised money to
protect the very forest they now sold out.  It is a sad day indeed.

>Please read and distribute to media in your area. Let Greenpeace and the
Sierra Club know your thoughts.

>Sacred Mountain Society
>195 Shore Rd,
>Eskasoni, NS B0A 1H0
>
>**************Press Release*******************
>
>       Long time First Nations environmental activist, Sulian Stone Eagle Herney,
was deeply disappointed when he learned of the actions of Greenpeace, the
Sierra Club and other environmental organizations who signed an agreement
with MacMillian Bloedel which would lead to the cutting of old growth in
Clayoquot Sound.  "My interpretation of selective cutting is that it is just
another form of ethnic cleansing of all my relations, " stated Stone Eagle.

>       Greenpeace and the Sierra Club signed a deal that would set aside a few
protected areas but log the rest of the eco-system.  Local people were
convinced that they were  close to having the whole of Clayoquot Sound
designated as a protected area as it is one of the last remaining intact old
growths forests.

>       Stone Eagle headed the First Nations Environmental Network for five years.
The FNEN is a national organization of individuals and groups who work to
protect the Mother Earth.   From low level flights over Labrador to old
growth in Temegami, Ont. to Canoe Narrows, Sask to Clayoquot Sound -  FNEN
members have stood up to protect what little is left of the originality of
this land.    And they have sought to create alliances with non-native
environmentalists.  " I have tried to maintain an optimistic view that we
can indeed work together as people of the four Sacred directions," explained
Stone Eagle, " I did this because I have always been convinced that the
environmental community had some genuine, sincere and devoted people."

>       After five years of trying to create honest working relationships with
non-natives, Stone Eagle stepped down to return to the campaign of
protecting the Mi'Kmaq Sacred Kluscap Mountain in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.

>       Stone Eagle wishes to notify Greenpeace and the Sierra Club to please
withhold or refrain from offering their support, assistance or capitalizing
on their struggle to protect their Sacred Mountain - just in case there is
still a bounty on Mi'Kmaq First Nations scalps.

>**************************
>PRESS RELEASE
>
>FNEN Challenges Environmental Sellout
>of Ancient Forest in Clayoquot Sound
>
>       "It's  a sad day for the Earth when environmentalists sign agreements with
MacMillian Bloedel promoting the logging of the old growth forests in B.C.'s
Clayoquot Sound,"  states Steve Lawson, a First Nations Environmental
Network (FNEN) representative from Clayoquot.

>       Greenpeace, Sierra Club, Western Wilderness Committee and the National
Resources Defense Council (U.S. based) have signed a Memorandum of
Understanding with MacMillian Bloedel promising to help market the old
growth lumber overseas in exchange for protection of some pristine areas.

>       This is the second time this has occurred in Clayoquot. In 1989, Sierra
Club's Vicki Husband signed away Torino Creek to MacMillian Bloedel's "state
of the art" logging.  Today the area is devastated with clear-cut.

>       While it is good to establish more protected areas, it is unacceptable
that these are created by sacrificing other old growth forests. Local
residents are upset by this development, most of whom were never consulted
nor informed of this development.   FNEN members are also offended by the
actions of these environmental groups.

>       The First Nations Environmental Network is a national organization of
grassroots First Nations groups and individuals who work to preserve Mother
Earth.  A number of FNEN members have been on the frontlines in Clayoquot
for over two decades and were involved in the drafting of the original
telegram that sparked the controversy and they also served prison terms for
peacefully blockading the logging of old growth.  They are outraged with
these outside groups "selling-out" what people have fought so long to protect.

>"It is well known that timber giants MacBlo and Interfor hold nothing but
money sacred. They want a foot in the closing door of Clayoquot and
old-growth forests," explains Lawson who feels they were close to protecting
all of Clayoquot Sound.    It is an effort to get old-growth eco-certified
for world-wide markets and these environmental groups have now become
multinational marketing tools.  As the international pulp markets are being
replaced by alternatives, MacBlo wants to high-grade the ancient cedar.
70% of Vancouver island's original forest has already been cut and the
largest area left is in Clayoquot.  It is also the second largest area left
in North America.

>"The environmental movement needs to take a good hard look at itself and
stop rationalizing the logging of this precious heritage. It needs to
remember it's heart and put it in the right place. It is unacceptable to use
Clayoquot in this way... this is a microcosm of a bigger crisis in the
forest globally...what happens here will affect forests all over the world,"
concluded Lawson.

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html