And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Good Morning,

I am sending links to four articles that may well be of interest.
(thanks, Mary M...:) Ish)

Johanns, Lakota leader urge calm
                   BY MARTHA STODDARD Lincoln Journal Star
http://www.journalstar.com/stories/top/stox

Whiteclay unrest won't halt Clinton visit
                   BY STEVE MILLER Rapid City Journal
http://www.journalstar.com/stories/top/sto2

Pine Ridge police are talking walkout
                   BY HUGH O'GARA Rapid City Journal
http://www.journalstar.com/stories/top/sto1
RAPID CITY, S.D. -- A majority of Pine Ridge Reservation police officers
appeared ready to walk away from their jobs on the eve of a protest rally
and with a visit by President Clinton scheduled next week.

The protest began forming Friday morning, following the reinstatement of
former Public Safety Director Everett Little Whiteman as the tribe's top
law enforcement officer. About 50 officers protested Little Whiteman's
reappointment, and Police Chief Stanley Star Comes Out said he
"wholeheartedly" supports the planned walkout.

"We're not happy with the arrangement," Star Comes Out said of Little
Whiteman's reinstatement.

By a 6-5 vote Thursday with one abstention, the Oglala Tribal Council
returned Little Whiteman to the post from which he was dismissed March 26.

Little Whiteman took office as the tribe's public safety director on Feb.
18. He brought with him a new tribal police chief, Glenn Gibbons, who also
was ousted in March.

When he took office, Little Whiteman said his "primary goal" as public
safety director was more training for tribal law enforcement officers.

"In due time, we will have a professionally trained police department with
personnel standards and policies and procedures," Little Whiteman said.
"It's a professional organization and will act accordingly." Following his
dismissal, tribal officials said Little Whiteman and his top officers were
hired temporarily and knew their positions would be open for permanent
appointments.

Little Whiteman could not be reached Friday to comment. The man who
replaced him as public safety director, William Brewer, and Tribal
President Harold Salway were also unavailable to comment.

The most recent upheaval in reservation law enforcement comes as
demonstrators were scheduled to march on Whiteclay today to protest
perceived racism in the border town and the lack of progress in the
investigations of the deaths of two Pine Ridge men murdered near the border
in early June.

The first demonstration, a march from Pine Ridge Village to Whiteclay, drew
about 2,000 protesters last Saturday.<<end excerpt

 Kerrey Shares His Concerns
http://www.journalstar.com/stories/top/sto3

Kerrey shares his concerns

Sen. Bob Kerrey reiterated his concern about the situation in Whiteclay in
a statement released Friday.

"I am confident the FBI will put forth a maximum effort to solve the two
shocking murders that took place near Whiteclay last month," the Nebraska
Democrat said. "So I strongly urge all parties to show restraint during
this weekend's scheduled march from the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation to
Whiteclay, Nebraska.

"An opportunity to do the right thing is before all of us. I ask Nebraskans
to join me in demonstrating that we truly care about solving these crimes
and about the welfare of others, especially our neighbors.

"Nebraskans have become unwitting partners in an endeavor which allows
certain businesses to enrich themselves at the expense of our Pine Ridge
neighbors," Kerrey continued.

He said it is alarming that the community of Whiteclay, with 22 residents,
has been issued four Class E licenses to sell beer for off-site
consumption. He said the prolific sales and alcohol consumption related to
these four licenses have lead to millions of dollars being spent on health
and accident treatments on the reservation.<<end excerpt

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html