And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Visit viewed as step toward restitution
BY GORDON WINTERS
 Lincoln Journal Star
http://www.journalstar.com/stories/top/sto1

For Gerald One Feather, Wednesday's presidential visit to the Pine Ridge
Reservation had implications extending beyond the reservation's borders, or
even the borders of the United States.

One Feather, among a group of Lakota tribal leaders who met President
Clinton as his helicopter landed on the reservation, is active in the
United Nation's effort to create a statement on the rights of indigenous
people worldwide.

As One Feather spoke, a strong wind blew across the broad, grass-covered
plain surrounding the reservation airport, whipping the bison tail tied to
the staff he carried that signifies a meeting is taking place.

"I think it's going to have a big impact," he said of Clinton's visit. "We
will have follow-up meetings in the months to come. That's where the
substance will come." One Feather said that work on the U.N. statement on
indigenous rights has been under way since the early 1990s. The goal, he
said, is to finish the document by 2002, then send it to the U.N. General
Assembly.

The issues, One Feather said, are similar on every continent. They involve
territorial rights and language.

"We had colonists come in and negate the aboriginal rights of people." He
said representatives of more than 100 indigenous people have met several
times in Geneva, Switzerland, to continue their push to win respect for the
issue.

Canada, One Feather said, is more advanced than the United States in its
treatment of aboriginal people. He pointed to the recent referendum there
creating a new province for the Inuit. Meanwhile, he said, the Lakota
remain at an impasse with the U.S. government over the Black Hills.

In June 1980 the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the federal government had
illegally confiscated the Black Hills from the Lakota. The high court's
decree upheld an earlier federal claims decision that "a more ripe and rank
case of dishonorable dealings will never, in all probability, be found in
our history. ..." The courts awarded the Lakota $17.5 million in damages,
plus interest dating from 1877 -- a sum currently amounting to more than
$300 million.

Among the nation's poorest people, the Lakota nonetheless have refused to
accept the money and continue to press their claim for the return of their
sacred lands.

"We want title to the Black Hills," One Feather said.

In One Feather's eyes, the president's visit was a step toward that goal,
distant though it may be.

Reprinted under the fair use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html