And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: Marilyn Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Transcript: Albright Remarks to Native American Groups, July (fwd)
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:23:52 -0700 (PDT)

Forwarded message:
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 19:15:40 -0700
From: Commandante Null <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Transcript: Albright Remarks to Native American Groups, July

U.S. Information Agency

Transcript: Albright Remarks to Native American Groups, July 14, 1999

(SecState cites role of minority rights issues in foreign policy)  (2010)

Washington - Issues relating to the treatment and rights of minorities and
indigenous peoples are increasingly influencing mainstream U.S. foreign
policy, according to Secretary of State Albright.

The Secretary underscored this point during her July 14 remarks at the
State Department's Fourth Annual Meeting with representatives of American
Indian and Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian and other indigenous Americans.

She said these questions are increasingly recognized as affecting such
important foreign policy issues as fair trade, sustainable development and
global climate change.

Albright noted that the United States has vigorously pressed other
countries to improve treatment of their own indigenous minorities, from
Central and South American Indian peoples to tribal groups in Indonesia and
Southeast Asia and the people of Tibet.

She also pointed out that the State Department has played a key role in
negotiating international agreements that protect Native American
subsistence hunting and fishing practices vital to their cultural identities.

Following is the State Department transcript, as prepared for delivery:

(begin transcript)

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Office of the Spokesman

As Prepared for Delivery

July 14, 1999

Remarks by Secretary of State Madeleine K. Albright before the State
Department's Fourth Annual Meeting with American Indians and Alaska
Natives, Native Hawaiians and Other Indigenous Americans

July 14, 1999

Washington, DC

Thank you, Frank. I'm pleased to welcome everyone on the second day of
these consultations. I know that many of you came a long way to be here --
in more ways than one.

This is the State Department's fourth annual meeting with American Indians
and Alaska Natives, Native Hawaiians and other indigenous Americans. And
I'm very happy to be able to speak to you for the second year in a row.

Since last year's consultations, the international community has devoted
enormous energy to the issue of what constitutes fair treatment of minority
populations and indigenous peoples worldwide -- and to deciding, by
contrast, what treatment simply cannot be tolerated.

Not too long ago, such questions were mainly the province of academics and
human rights lawyers. But lately, they have demanded the attention of heads
of state, foreign ministers -- and generals, as well.

I have heard about President Clinton's meeting this spring with
representatives of the North Plains tribes. I know about the petition they
presented him expressing support for his stand against ethnic cleansing in
Kosovo.

And I was especially moved when I found out about the moment in that
meeting when one particular tribal leader stood up to say that both his
uncles had served America with distinction in wartime; that his great
great-grandfather had been slaughtered by the 7th Cavalry at Wounded Knee;
and that he now had only one son, whom he loved very much -- but that if
his son was needed to go fight against ethnic cleansing and murder based on
race or religion, he would be proud for him to go stand for the United
States and for the humanity of every human being. The tribal leaders made
an unforgettable point with the President that day. And they reminded us in
Washington why we need these consultations to do a vital part of our job.

Some of the most shameful episodes in American history have involved the
treatment of your ancestors. Thankfully, the worst is behind us. But much
more has to improve before economic and educational opportunities,
healthcare and housing are as abundant in Indian country as they should be.
That's why the President traveled to Pine Ridge Reservation last week, to
spur that process along.

Now, there's not a great deal the State Department can do to improve the
situation of America's indigenous peoples in those direct ways. We're not
the Interior Department or Justice or HHS; and Lord knows, we're not the
Congress.

What we are is diplomats; what we can do is represent this country
effectively abroad.

That means shaping a foreign policy that represents not just some
Americans, but all of them -- including the first Americans.

It means taking into account your concerns on matters such as natural
resources and cultural and tribal issues.

And it means acknowledging that international human rights standards are
not just tools for hammering away at other countries, but also mirrors we
can hold up to our own shortcomings and challenge ourselves, in the words
of the Framers, "to form a more perfect Union."

Twenty years ago, the plight of indigenous peoples was relegated tothe
margins of international diplomacy.

Today, the treatment and rights of these peoples are increasingly
recognized as affecting such mainstream foreign policy issues as fair
trade, sustainable development and global climate change.

In recent years, the sessions on the UN Draft Declaration on the Rights of
Indigenous Peoples have become the best-attended human rights meetings at
the UN.

And the corresponding declaration at the Organization of American States is
moving -- in diplomatic terms -- at the speed of light.

I'm pleased to report that the State Department led the successful effort
to persuade the OAS to open up the latest phase of its negotiations to
indigenous representatives. Now we are working with that body to define a
specific means for obtaining indigenous input in the next phase as well. I
invite you to share your views on this with Ambassador Marrero, if not
today, then within the next month or two.

Does any of this mean we can relax because success is at hand? Far from it.
You and I both know that even as to these two declarations, much remains to
be done -- including changing attitudes in this country. And as we surmount
these obstacles, we will also have to confront gross human rights abuses in
our own Hemisphere, and the flat denials of many countries in Asia and
Africa that any of their peoples can even be recognized as indigenous.

This evolution in attitudes and laws and practices will be measured in
years, not months. But I'm convinced that it will happen.

And I am grateful to you for keeping our feet to the fire. BecauseAmerica
has set some high standards and principles to live up to. And when it comes
to the rights of indigenous peoples -- as with all human rights issues --
we should be out front pulling, not in the rear, dragging our heels.

That is why we've taken such a strong interest in the plight of the
indigenous throughout this Hemisphere, including the situation in Chiapas;
the treatment of the Yanomamo Indians on the Brazil-Venezuela border; and
the longstanding discrimination and violence against the Mayan people in
Guatemala.

And it is why we've pressed countries elsewhere to improve their treatment
of indigenous peoples and minorities, including those of East Timor and
Irian Jaya in Indonesia; the Hill Tribes of Southeast Asia; and the people
of Tibet.

In each of these situations, and others, the Department has put real muscle
behind its efforts. We've sent high officials -- including myself -- to
investigate, prod and publicize. We've used our human rights reporting to
shine a spotlight on abuses. And we've exercised our influence in bilateral
relationships, multilateral bodies, and even international financial
institutions to raise our voices on behalf of those who cannot be heard.

Of course, bad habits die hard, and progress in such matters rarely comes
in great leaps forward. But I consider this among the most important work
we do -- and it does make a difference. Leslie Gerson and other human
rights officials here can update you in more detail. And please make this a
two-way street, by giving us the benefit of your views in this area as well.

In the few minutes that remain, I'd like to turn to some of the natural
resource-related issues I talked about last year, and briefly update you on
progress.

Probably our biggest stride forward came in the international agreement we
completed last month to manage North America's Pacific Salmon fishery.
Here, years of painstaking negotiations got the right result: a sound and
sustainable treaty. And we got there in the right way: by putting the
Indian tribes at the bargaining table, right where they belonged.

The Pacific Salmon treaty will allow both salmon stocks and salmon fishers
to thrive for generations to come. It replaces fixed harvest quotas with an
abundance-based regime. And it is fair to both the United States and
Canada, and to the Indian tribes as well.

This treaty will stand the test of time because it reflects a key Native
American insight. We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow
it from our children.

Last year I noted this Department's support in the International Whaling
Commission for the Makah Tribe's efforts to revive a practice central to
its cultural identity. This year, at long last, those controversial whale
hunts took place.

But a terrible phenomenon took place alongside them. Zealots expressed
their opposition through acts of violence and cowardice, such as bomb
threats against the Makah Reservation's elementary school, of all places.

My friends, that is simply not acceptable. Opponents like that have to ask
whether they truly are expressing love for whales -- or hostility toward
Indians.

On a related front, the Department has been working closely with the Inuit
to conclude an agreement with Russia over subsistence hunting of polar
bears in the Bering Sea area. This will protect the bears' habitat and
allow subsistence quotas to be shared.

We've been at work on another northern hunting issue, involving the United
States Migratory Bird Treaties with Canada and Mexico. As a result, under
the new Protocols to those Treaties, subsistence hunting by indigenous
communities is clearly permitted. And Alaska Natives gain the role they
deserve in recommending how to manage this precious resource.

Last year I noted the Department's success in supporting the inclusion of
the Aleuts as permanent participants in the Arctic Council. We remain
committed to promoting participation in the Council by other U.S.
indigenous groups as well.

As Chair of the Council, the U.S. is focusing its efforts on sustainable
development and native health issues such as keeping traditional foods free
of toxins. We are learning the importance of native knowledge in these
areas. And we are working on a "Tele-medicine" project that will enhance
health care in remote Alaskan communities.

Finally, on the biodiversity front, the Department has learned a great deal
from our consultations with you about the importance of protecting
indigenous knowledge. So we have continued to exercise vigilance in
ensuring that the Biodiversity Convention and its protocols will not
compromise your treaty rights in any way.

There are other matters that I only have time to suggest you raise with us
later. One potentially rewarding one involves foreign trade, and whether
the Department might be able to do more to help open up new markets for
your products abroad -- as Canada has done.

It would take a crystal ball to reveal exactly how all these issues will
unfold. Unfortunately, I think my grandson borrowed mine.

But even without it, some things I already know.

I'm proud to serve a President who has demonstrated his commitment to
improving the lives of your people.

I'm proud to be part of an Administration that is enhancing the United
States government-to-government relationship with the Indian nations.

And I'm delighted to see our courts acting on the principle that when it
comes to U.S. treaties with the Indian tribes, great nations, like great
people, ought to honor their word.

As Secretary of State, my commitment is to ensure that this Department
consults and works in good faith with you, just as I know you want to do
with us. Because my mission is a foreign policy for America that reflects
the aspirations of all the peoples in our midst.

To that great task I pledge my own best efforts, and respectfully solicit
both your counsel and support.

Thank you very much.

(end transcript)

NPC Information Associates