And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 00:58:23 EDT

Red Alert * Red Alert * Red Alert * Red Alert * Red Alert * Red Alert * Red
Alert * Red Alert

Today, July 20th, 1999 at 10:10a.m., ranking officers from the Minnesota
State Troopers and Minneapolis Police Department came the the Minnehaha
Spiritual Encampment.  Camp Member, Thunder, approached the ranking State
Trooper and asked him why they had come here today.  He was told that they
were at camp to "take a look around."  Thunder asked if they were here to
take any action today against the camp.  The officer informed him that they
were not here to take any action today, against the camp, but to take a
look around to see when they do take action what type of action they need
to take.  The officer asked him  if the camp has a sweat lodge, and Thunder
pointed to the lodge. The officer  asked him if this was the same lodge
that we had at the last camp.  Thunder said that yes it was, and that he
should know that because he was the officer that dismantled the sweat lodge
during the last raid on December 20th of 1998.  He said that if they need
to dismantle the lodge again, they would make sure that it was returned.

The Police and State Troopers also had with them a MnDoT official and a
representative of Thommes and Thomas, a land clearing firm based out of
Stillwater, Minnesota.  The land destroyer from Thommes and Thomas  had a
clip-board and was taking notes on the trees in the area, including the
FOUR SACRED TREES, that have been at the center of the struggle to protect
this land for the last year.  This is the calm before the storm, and now is
the time that we must act before they bring their machines to desecrate
this sacred gound.

We need you, and we need you now.  If you have ever felt moved by this
struggle, and would be willing to come down and camp with us, now is the
time.  THE RIGHT OF WAY CLEARING FOR THE REROUTE OF HIGHWAY 55 IS SCHEDULED
TO BEGIN BY AUGUST 2ND OF THIS YEAR. BECAUSE OF THIS ENCOUNTER WITH THE
POLICE AND STATE TROOPERS,  WE BELIEVE THAT THEY WILL RAID THE CAMP BEFORE
THAT DATE.  We need wave upon wave of people to form a human ring around
the four sacred trees and stand with us in prayer and resistance around the
sacred fire that has burned since August 10th of 1998.  This is a place of
prayer and its sacredness has been testified to by spiritual elders from
six different First Nations.  We need people willing to risk arrest to
stand up for the sacredness of this land, to protect the trees, Camp
Coldwater Spring, and for the human rights of Native Americans to freedom
of religion.  This place is a church to all Native Americans, what would
you do if this was your church facing the bulldozers?

Our spirit is not crushed.  MnDoT will never pave over our prayers, and if
we stand united and strong we still can save this land for the future
generations.

We ask all people of conscience to call the Mayor's office, the Governor's
Office and even the President of the United States and demand that this
re-route of Highway 55 be Stopped immediately, and that this land between
Minnehaha Falls and Camp Coldwater Spring  be protected for all time.

We also ask that you call and fax these two companies that have been
awarded the contract for the destruction of the trees and land:

C.S McCrossan Inc.
7865 Jefferson Highway
Maple Grove, MN

phone (612) 425-4167
fax  (612) 425-0520
fax (612) 425-1255

Thommes and Thomas
15457 Jeffrey N.
Hugo, MN  55038

phone (651) 430-2535

Please ask them to think long and hard about the injustices of this road.
That it violates human rights, makes little sense and will destroy beloved
Minnehaha Park.  Then tell them that they may be opening themselves up to
lawsuits.  Then let them know that they have been warned, in a non-violent
and spiritual way.  We must let them know that this is not just a "job",
and that we are not against the workers. Remind them that we are
non-violent.   Let them know that MnDoT does have alternatives available
that will still provide work.  Unions and workers should not be envolved in
projects that have strong community opposition, and that violate
fundamental human and constitutional rights.

Also:

On August 10th, 1999 join us for our one year anniversary of standing up to
the bulldozers and of protecting the sacred sites that lie in the path of
the reroute of Highway 55.

were:  at the spiritual encampment.  Take Highway 55 (Hiawatha Ave.)  south
to 54th Street and go left at the light.  Go past one driveway and take the
second driveway on the right that goes down to a stop light and the Bureau
of Mines buildings.  The Camp is on the left, and you will see the parked
cars.

when:  Starting at 4:00pm and going till sundown.

what:  feast/potluck, Thunder Nation Drum Group, stories shared from the
last year, a video and photo presentation, and music.

August 8th, 1999, Join us for our Second Annual Pow Wow Down at the Mendota
Spiritual Encampment ( Same Address as Above)

3:00 p.m. onwards.

for more information Contact:

Jim Anderson:  Cultural Chairman of the Mendota Mdewakanton Dakota
Community  (612) 910-0730

Pidamaya.

live simply

Reprinted under the Fair Use http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.html