And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: Robert Dorman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

The article referred to below is currently at
http://www.newtimesla.com/1999/080599/feature1-1.html, but in case it goes
away, I am posting it after Mauro's message, and for the benifit of those
of you without web access.

To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 20:17:05 -0700
From: "mauro deoliveira" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: newtimes article

Please post:

THE LA NEW TIMES article at http://www.newtimesla.com
about Black Mesa IS A MUST TO DOWNLOAD AND ADD TO MEDIA KITS.

To make the most out of this big break in the story, each and everyone who
supports the struggle should e-mail the editor of the New Times and ask
that the magazine CONTINUE WITH THE LEAD and FOLLOW THE STORY beyond the
deadline date (better yet...until resolution). The e-mail address is
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Congradulations Victor Mejia for the best news story in years.

-Mauro
SOL Communications

Pauline Whitesinger climbed out of bed in the predawn cold. She put a coat
over her long cotton dress, stepped outside into the darkness, and turned
to the starry east to say her morning prayers, as her ancestors had done
for hundreds of years. She welcomed the sun, thanked the Creator for this
life, and asked for a prosperous day.

  Whitesinger has a sun-wrinkled face and long graying hair. She's probably
in her late 70s or early 80s; her exact age is unknown because she has no
birth certificate. Her posture is slightly bent; years of living a frontier
lifestyle on the Big Mountain Navajo Indian Reservation, a mostly barren,
Rhode Island-size swath of land in the northeastern corner of Arizona, have
left their mark on her body. Whitesinger herds sheep for a living, carries
a .22-caliber rifle to ward off coyotes, and lives alone in a one-room
cement-block shack with no electricity or running water. She speaks no
English.

  After tending to her animals that morning last spring, Whitesinger climbed
on her horse and galloped five miles across the rugged, semiarid terrain to
a neighbor's home. There she joined other Navajos for a community meeting
to discuss the loss of their land and their precarious future.

  That was when they came, in the late morning after she had left, to
impound part of her livelihood. She knew who they were, too. The tire
tracks they left behind betrayed them.

  Whitesinger's bull calf was gone. It had been loaded onto a trailer and
hauled off to Keams Canyon 35 miles away, where it was auctioned off by the
Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA), the federal agency that oversees life on
Indian reservations. The one-year-old bull was unbranded -- a violation of
Whitesinger's grazing permit -- so the BIA took it. But the animal was
suffering from a dislocated hip and Whitesinger didn't want to harm it
further by burning hot steel into its flesh.

  "I decided to leave it alone and let it heal first," she says through an
interpreter. "That's why I had not branded it yet."

Losing her calf was only the beginning. That same day, as she traveled to
Keams Canyon with a friend in hopes of getting her bull back, Whitesinger's
horse was shot to death not far from her home. Her 14-year-old grandson
found it while herding Whitesinger's sheep. "At first I thought it was the
BIA rangers," she says. "But I now suspect it was my neighbors. They
support relocation, and I don't think they want me living here anymore."

Like other Navajos who've had their only source of food and clothing
impounded for seemingly mundane reasons, Whitesinger believes the BIA's
program of animal confiscation is a "pressure tactic to starve us," she
says. "It's all because of the coal that is in our land."

Whitesinger is one of about 3,000 mostly elderly Navajos who live in abject
poverty in the high desert of northeastern Arizona and are being forced to
move from land that is rich in coal. About 13,000 Navajos have already been
relocated under a 25-year-old congressional act that some say violate the
tribe's human rights. Coal dug from the Big Mountain reservation yields
electricity for more than 1.2 million homes in L.A. County.

"Every time you flip a switch, you are helping eradicate Navajo people,"
says Marsha Monestersky, consultant for the Sovereign Dineh [Navajo] Nation
and cochair of the Human Rights Caucus for the United Nations Commission on
Sustainable Development. "The United States likes to point its finger to
human rights violations in other countries, but never to itself."

Federal authorities, however, say the relocation has nothing to do with
coal. Navajos are being moved out simply because the land they occupy now
belongs to the Hopi tribe, under the terms of the congressional order. The
energy industry, including Southern California Edison, which transmits
electricity to L.A. from a Nevada power plant fueled by coal from the
reservation, also denies any responsibility for what's happening to the
Navajos.

Some scholars view the relocation as the latest manifestation in the U.S.
government's century-long campaign against the Navajos. "This is the
largest forced relocation since the forced removal of Japanese Americans in
World War II," says Dr. Thayer Scudder, a Caltech anthropology professor
and expert on forced removal programs. "We realized that internment was
unjust, and we tried to make amends. Navajo relocation is equally unjust,
and all three branches of government are responsible."

Caught in the middle are Whitesinger and other Navajos who must vacate Big
Mountain by February 1, 2000. And as the federal deadline approaches, there
is growing fear of a potential clash between government agents and Navajos
who refuse to leave. "I think there will be some kind of showdown," says
Kerry Begay, a 30-year-old sheepherder. "I'm prepared to fight for my land.
But I don't know for sure what's going to happen."

The tense situation at Big Mountain has roots that go back decades. In
1974, Congress passed the Navajo-Hopi Settlement Act to resolve a purported
"range war" between the two tribes. Land surrounding the Hopi reservation
that had been used by both tribes became strictly Hopi territory under the
act, and Navajos were forced to move out. But critics say the supposed
range war was largely a fabrication designed to open the land for coal
mining and more cattle grazing by wealthy Hopis.

The Hopis began lobbying Congress to partition the joint-use zone so they'd
have exclusive use of it, according to Gabor Rona, an attorney with the
Center for Constitutional Rights, a New York-based public-interest legal
organization that in 1988 sued the U.S. government, charging that the
relocation act was unconstitutional. The Hopis were joined by the Peabody
Western Coal Company, which liked the partition scheme since it would be
easier for the firm to expand its strip-mining operations in the area, adds
Rona. "There is evidence that Peabody hired a public relations firm to
promote the range-war story," he says.

  Congress, convinced that the two tribes were at each others' throats over
land and desperate to solve the energy crisis created by the Arab oil
embargo in the early 1970s, passed the relocation act with little
hesitation. "There was tension between some Hopi and Navajos who were
competing for land, but it never got too serious," says David Brugge, an
anthropologist and author of the The Navajo-Hopi Land Dispute: An American
Tragedy. "The [coal company] came in and exploited this tension for their
benefit. They wanted to get at the mineral wealth. So Peabody supported the
Hopi. They wanted the tribe to get the surface and subsurface rights to the
land."

Since the settlement act's passage, more than 13,000 Navajos have been
relocated to towns outside the Big Mountain reservation, like Flagstaff and
Holbrook, Arizona, and Gallup, New Mexico. The total cost of moving them:
$350 million and counting. The act also imposed a building freeze and
reduced livestock in Big Mountain by up to 90 percent; Navajos are
prohibited from renovating their dilapidated homes, and most of their
animals have been confiscated. The government denies that displacing the
Navajos has anything to do with coal. "We are concerned with overgrazing on
the reservation," says Heather Sibbison, a special assistant to U.S.
Interior Secretary Kevin Gover. "It's really that simple."

But critics charge that the relocation has caused cultural and social
disruption as well as physical and psychological shock to a sheepherding,
matriarchal society whose identity is closely tied to the land. Caltech's
Scudder, who has studied forced relocations in Asia and Africa and
testified before Congress against the Navajo resettlement act, has
estimated that during its first phase in the late '70s, 25 percent of the
relocatees died within six years from illnesses brought on by stress and
depression. He describes the Navajo removal program as "a magnificent
20th-century example of one of the worst relocation programs that I have
seen anywhere in the world" and a "real human tragedy."

Although there is no recent study measuring the impact of relocation on the
Navajos' health, the Navajo Area Indian Health Service and the U.S. Public
Health Service in 1978 looked at 80 patients in the first wave of
relocation and found that at least 85 percent of them suffered from
depression and severe stress. In 1985, UCLA anthropology professor Jenny
Joe examined 300 Navajos and concluded that "people facing relocation are
more likely to have people die in their families." Alcoholism and suicide
were also found to be more widespread compared with Navajo families who
were not being pushed off their land. Moreover, Navajos today continue to
complain about illness and depression that they attribute to relocation.

Scudder has seen the same pattern throughout the world among forcibly
transplanted peoples. "Relocation creates what I call multidimensional
stress," he says. "There's psychological stress, where people grieve for
the lost homeland and have anxiety about the future; there's physiological
stress that leads to death and illness; there's emotional stress and
cultural stress, where the religion and ideology of a people is undermined
when they are taken away from a land that has strong meaning to them. For
the Navajo, relocation is about the worst thing you can do to them, short
of killing them."

Bob Dorman, KD7FIZ
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
The Activist Page
http://www.theofficenet.com/%7Eredorman/welcome.html
Also, for great internet tools please visit:
http://www.msw.com.au/cgi-bin/msw/entry?id=1271