And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Monday, August 9, 1999

By PHUONG LE
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

Ralph W. Johnson, 75, professor emeritus at the University of Washington
School of Law and a leading expert in Indian law, died of respiratory
failure Tuesday in Seattle.

An imminent scholar and influential teacher, Mr. Johnson helped shaped
several decades of court decisions and policies on natural resources and
Indian rights.

His teachings and commitment motivated thousands of law students and
greatly influenced the nation's understanding of Indian law, colleagues said.

"Ralph was one of the giants of our faculty," said Roland Hjorth, dean of
the university's law school.

A forceful and passionate advocate of Indian rights, Mr. Johnson also was a
pioneer in establishing Indian law as a field of study.

His articles were directly cited in several important U.S. Supreme Court
decisions, including one that granted the Puyallup Tribe fishing rights.

"He was the expert in Indian law," a colleague, Charles Wilkinson, law
professor emeritus at the University of Colorado, said last night. "He
brought such integrity to his work."

Mr. Johnson took the lead in setting up seminars and courses for tribal
judges with the National American Indian Court Judges Association. He
co-founded Seattle's Center for Environmental Law and Policy.

Billy Frank, a leading Indian activist in Olympia, said, "I lost a great
friend and a great person who was so good at trying to find what's right
and what's wrong."

Mr. Johnson took up the cause of Indian treaty rights for fishermen in
Washington during the 1960s and '70s when it was controversial to do so.

He was motivated by his sense of justice and honor, his son, Brady Johnson,
said.

"When he saw something that he thought was wrong, he'd do something about
it," his son said. "He'd do it because it was right, without regard to
whether it was politically correct."

A tall, striking man with a quiet sense of dignity, Mr. Johnson had a keen
ability to avoid arguments and work toward resolutions.

Born in Barberton, Ohio, he grew up in Eugene, Ore., and enlisted in the
U.S. Army during World War II. He completed his undergraduate and law
school education at the University of Oregon in Eugene, where he also
edited the Law Review.

Mr. Johnson practiced law for several years with his father and two
brothers before he was asked to serve with the Army's Judge Advocate
General Corps during the Korean War. In 1955, he was appointed to the
faculty at the UW.

He also served as visiting professor at Harvard University and the
University of California at Los Angeles. He retired last year after 44 years.

An ardent mountain climber, Mr. Johnson co-founded the Washington State
Mountain Rescue Team. He was also an avid outdoorsman and skier.

His son recalled how he took his family on camping trips and taught them to
love and respect the environment. He even picked up other people's garbage,
his son said.

Besides his son, Mr. Johnson also is survived by his wife, Anne Johnson, of
Seattle; children Jill Johnson of Seattle and Grant Johnson of Seattle; a
brother, Art, of Oregon; a sister, Juanita, of Oregon; and a grandson.

Memorial services will be held at a later date.
      "My heart is moved by all I cannot save, so much has
              been lost.... so much has been destroyed.
           I must cast my lot with those who, age after age,
                perversely, with no extraordinary power...
                        reconstitute the world."