And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Building A Foundation of Honor, Esteem
By Kevin Abourezk -- Lincoln Journal Star -- Photo [see link]
http://www.journalstar.com/stories/loc/sto3

If there's one thing Mary Lee Johns knows, it's that nothing comes cheap when you
enter the world as an American Indian.

"If you're born an Indian, you're at risk," Johns said. "All we're trying to do is
give these children a chance." As director of the Lincoln Indian Center youth
programs, Johns works to help 25 Indian kids -- ages 12 to 17 -- become successful
adults. Those youth often face substantial obstacles, as reflected in the following
statistics compiled by the Lincoln-Lancaster Health Department and the Nebraska Crime
Commission:

More than half of American Indians in Lancaster County live below the poverty line,
compared with 17 percent of the white population.

The third-leading cause of death for American Indians in Lancaster County from 1987 to
1995 was homicide -- followed by cirrhosis.

 From 1978 to 1997, the number of American Indian juvenile arrests in Nebraska
increased by 145 percent, compared with a 60 percent increase in white juvenile
arrests during the same period. Despite such grim statistics, Johns said she's still
hopeful her kids can "buck" the trend. By teaching them American Indian cultural
values such as respect and obedience, she hopes to build a foundation upon which
successful habits can be fostered. Those habits, she hopes, will prevent delinquency.

"We're just that extra layer of support that these kids need so we don't lose them,"
the Lakota woman said.

The participants are taught how to shake hands "the Indian way" (a less rigid version
of the typically firm, American handshake) and prepare "spirit plates" during meals.
The preparation of a spirit plate includes a ceremony in which food is set aside to
show respect for those who have passed on.

The Indian Center youth program operates mostly on grants from organizations and
foundations such as the Nebraska Crime Commission, Nebraska Health and Human Services,
Woods Foundation and the Nebraska Arts Council. With the funds, the center provides
salaries for three staff members, including Johns. The rest of the money goes toward
devising programs to benefit participants.

So far this summer, the program participants worked together on a ropes course in
Mahoney State Park, created a 60-minute documentary about their families and attended
several plays in Lincoln. There is no shortage of activities, Johns said.

"You're a special person when you come to this program," she said. "Not one of them
has quit on us." Sherita Two Strike, a descendant of the Sicangu Lakota Chief Two
Strike, is a program participant and employee. She enjoys spending time with friends
and participating in activities. These activities take up summer hours that might
otherwise be spent in less constructive ways.

"It keeps me busy," Two Strike said. "We learn about our culture, and we've become
more proud."