And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[NOTE: some addresses are blind copied]

From:         Pat Morris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

http://dawn.com/daily/text/int13.htm

American Indian tribe are marching on the prairies again

By Ed Vulliamy

WHITECLAY (Nebraska, US): It is the "Moon of the Drying Grass", time of the Sun Dance,
but the season is unquiet - the Oglala Sioux are marching on the prairies again.

This time the face of their legendary chief, Crazy Horse, looks out from a flag in the
wind, carried through the heat by a man called Wolf wearing the black paramilitary
beret of the American Indian Movement, back in action on the Pine Ridge reservation
for the first time since the famous Wounded Knee occupation of 1973.

Wolf did three tours with the Marines in Vietnam and was, of course, here in '73. He
draws on a pipe: "I fought in 'Nam, I fought on the reservation and I'd fight again
now."

The destination of the march is the scrappy town of Whiteclay, outside the
reservation, over the Nebraska state line, but set in land conceded to, and claimed
by, the Oglala Sioux and other tribes under the treaty of 1868, which remains
America's great unhealed wound.

Today an eviction order served by the protesters from a tepee encampment called Camp
Justice expires. The order was served on eight white businesses in town, including a
bar which the protesters accuse of destroying their people in a wash of alcohol sold
for vast profits. The camp was established for a second reason: the torture and murder
of two Oglala last month, their bodies dumped in a ditch just over the state line
inside the reservation. On Monday several thousand were expected to march into
Whiteclay.

"I don't like force," said a man called Eagle Hawk, who gave up a job worth $2,000 a
month in Kansas to join Camp Justice. "But whatever it takes - whatever it takes. On
Sunday, we make peace by whatever means."

The battle between Whiteclay and the Sioux is a convergence of anger, outrage,
desperation and resistance - it is the focus for a sudden surge of militancy in
America's poorest county.

Unemployment on Pine Ridge reservation runs at 90 per cent - Bill Clinton came through
last month making promises but impressed few.

Whiteclay, meanwhile, is a town of 22 white people which net $4.2 million a year from
three shops and five bars or liquor stores to which hundreds of Oglalas make their way
to drink themselves stupid and then stagger home - if they are lucky. But this is also
the town in which Wilson Black Elk and Ron Hard Heart last month became the latest and
most villainously killed victims in a string of murders by what those encamped at the
cluster of tepees beside the ditch in which they were dumped insist are the work of
"the Ku Klux Klan, the cops or both".

Meanwhile, five American Indian bodies have been recovered from the river at Rapid
Creek to the north. The coroner says they had alcohol in their blood - there are
rumours on the reservation of stabbing and beating. Whiteclay cuts also to the heart
of the issue of land, and the treaty of 1868.

It is but one touchstone in a sudden flurry of activity over the treaty. Over the
other side of the reservation, on an island in the Missouri called La Framboise,
another array of tepees, banners and campfires has been established in protest against
a law passed in Congress recently assigning federal land not to the tribes to whom it
was guaranteed under the treaty but to the state of South Dakota. But this weekend,
the flashpoint is Whiteclay.

The demonstrators on last Thursday's march out of the reservation stopped four times
to pray before arriving in town to face the watchful barrels of the state troopers'
guns and the confident smiles of the bar and liquor store owners.

"This is our land," thundered Tom Poor Bear, organizer of the march and brother of one
of the murdered men. "Instead, it's a place where our people are not safe to walk the
streets. My patience is running out. If this place is not shut down on Sunday, Camp
Justice moves to town" - that means across the state line, into Nebraska and "enemy
territory".

"Leaving?", says Jeff, a barman in the Arrowhead Inn, "of course I ain't leaving. This
is our town, this is Nebraska, not a reservation. I ain't heard of no treaty."

At Camp Justice, preparing for the march, the mosquitoes bite and the grasshoppers
thwack into the hurricane lamps. The tepee poles reach into a star-spangled sky, their
banners flying and the campfires crack. The campers are from a new generation of
militants, impatient with degradation and seeking to return to what they regard as
their stolen culture.

Lauren Black Elk gestures towards the ditch where his brother's mutilated body was
found. "We were close as brothers could be," he says.

Bull Hard Heart was brother to the other dead man. "He was the baby in the family," he
says. "I can't believe he went just like that."

Both families have been told the autopsy results cannot be made public for evidential
purposes. There are gruesome details, they are told, "known only to the killers".

The tribal authorities are ambivalent over the war being waged by Camp Justice, and
the looming crisis over Whiteclay. The chief and elders are wary of the return of AIM
to the reservation.

However, the camp was blessed by the cantankerous but clear-sighted elderly man who
lives in a green house on a hill outside the town of Pine Ridge. He is the chairman of
the tribes of the Sioux nation and his name is Oliver Red Cloud. His great-grandfather
was the chief who, side by side with Crazy Horse, fought Custer's army in the Black
Hills and then the deportations to Pine Ridge. "God has placed us on this land and we
must remain, and survive," he says with a deliberation that quakes with anger. "The
people need to take action."

A few miles west of Red Cloud's home, a group of teenagers are lassoing and saddling a
convoy of horses. John Little Thunder, 17, said of the protest: "They say that this is
just anti-drink, anti-drugs, and it is, when we watch our grandparents, and our
parents and even our friends staggering home, can't even see in front of their faces.

"But it's not just that. It's for things too. It's for a way of life. It's for saying
who we are and surviving."-Dawn/Observer News Service (c) London Observer.