And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: Pat Morris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Salmon Savages - High school mascot draws criticism
http://www.idahonews.com/081199/A_SECTIO/44150.htm
By Candace Burns

SALMON - The Salmon Savages may soon be looking for a new name and a new
mascot.

Members of The National Coalition on Racism in Sports and Media have threatened to
file suit against the Salmon School District if it doesn't replace its Native American
mascot, coupled with the team name of Savages.

"I don't believe there's a judge in the country that wouldn't find this logo offensive
and disparaging to native people," said Cyd Crue, the group's coordinator. "We're
moving here, and it's extremely offensive to my family."

Following a meeting Monday with the school board, the group has limited its
focus to only the mascot.

Salmon is one of more than a dozen Idaho high schools that use Native American imagery
for their mascots and names. In addition, Orofino athletes call themselves "The
Maniacs" in honor of a state mental facility in the area.

According to Crue, more than 1,000 schools have forsaken their Native American team
names in the past 10 years.

She advised Salmon District Superintendent Candis Donicht by letter last month that
she would take legal action in 45 days if the board hadn't made substantial progress
toward elimination of the mascot.

But Chairman Steve Lish said it was unrealistic, if not impossible, for the district
to address the issue before students return to school later this month.

"This isn't something you go to the board with and five people are going to make a
hasty decision, then take action just like that," said Lish. "This is something the
whole school and community is going to be involved in."

Crue lives and teaches in Urbana, Ill., but recently bought property in Lemhi County.
She and her 12-year-old adopted son, a Shoshone-Bannock, have spent the last two
summers living at Fort Hall. Crue said her son may some day go to school in Salmon,
and she doesn't want him to be degraded by the present negative, stereotypical imagery
of his people.

Crue and Michael Haney, executive director of the Illinois-based NCRSM, addressed the
school board at Monday night's meeting. Haney arrived late, well after the discussion
with Crue had begun.

About the time Crue and board members had agreed that students would benefit from
researching the issue before reaching a decision about their mascot, Haney came into
the meeting threatening a lawsuit. He said there would be an investigation by the
Justice Department, and told Salmon school board members the law was on his side and
court battles would be costly.

Board members urged Haney to set aside his threats so that students and the community
could research the issue without resentment, then reach their own conclusions.

Board member Gary Goodman said he had talked to his son about the demanded change and,
based on that conversation, felt it would be better for both cultures if Haney gave
the community time to work through the issue.

"I'm real concerned this is going to backfire and you're going to turn people against
the Indian nations," Goodman said. "If my son sees this logo being changed because of
a law being forced on him, he's going to resent the people who forced that law on him."

Haney responded that his people know about having things forced on them.

"They called it eminent domain," said Haney. "We didn't like it either."

By the end of the meeting, Haney had agreed to write the school board telling them it
was OK for them to use their team name of "Savages" but that the mascot must go.
Included in Haney's letter, he said, would be an agreement to help the district find
money for changing the district's signs, uniforms and other equipment if students
agreed to change their mascot. He also said he liked the idea of students learning
with their teachers about the issue.

Crue said she threatened legal action because community members told her the issue had
been raised many times to no avail. On at least two occasions, members of the
Shoshone-Bannock Tribe have addressed the student body and/or a community group
regarding the school's mascot, once following a performance of the Shoshone-Bannock
dancers and another time at a high school assembly on Human Rights. A Salmon High
School student also wrote on the topic in an issue of last year's school newspaper,
The Smoke Signal.

But in his five-year tenure on the board, no one has approached the board about a name
change, said Lish.

Salmon elementary teacher Dorrie Prange said the issue may not have been brought to
the school board, but it has been raised for many years.

"I think it's an issue we were unable to hear; for 19 years I have heard Native
Americans who were offended and wanted this changed," she said. "I think it's way past
time for a change."

Salmon High School athletes most likely became "The Savages" in the 1930s when Irman
Gott, now 82, won a contest aimed at naming their team and mascot. Gott, who graduated
in 1937, said he doesn't remember exactly what year he won the contest and Salmon
District archives don't date back that far.

Superintendent Donicht issued a press release Tuesday saying many in the community
feel a fierce sense of loyalty to the mascot. "The community needs to work through the
issue as well, and they will want the opportunity to give advisory opinion to the
Board through the public forum process."

While few are taking the issue lightly, some are maintaining typical Salmon sense of
humor, according to Donicht. She said one woman has even offered a new image to use
for the school's Savage logo: her ex-husband.

Lemhi and Custer counties correspondent Candace Burns can be reached
through the Post Register at 542-6757, or
via e-mail at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<<<<=-=-=                                  =-=-=>>>>
"We simply chose an Indian as the emblem.
  We could have just as easily chosen any
uncivilized animal."
   Eighth Grade student writing about his school's
   mascot, 1997

<<<<=-=  http://www.tdi.net/ishgooda/racial/  =-=>>>>

IF it says:
"PASS THIS TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW...."
Please Check it before you send it at:

http://urbanlegends.miningco.com/library/blhoax.htm

<<<<=-=-=FREE LEONARD PELTIER!!!=-=-=>>>>