And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 21:49:30 -0500
To: (Recipient list suppressed)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Mayor stands fast on `Spanish-only' ordinance

http://www.tampabayonline.net/news/news102j.htm
8/12/99 -- 10:08 PM

Mayor stands fast on `Spanish-only' ordinance

EL CENIZO, Texas (AP) - A community on the Mexican border has declared
itself a ``safe haven'' for undocumented immigrants and passed an ordinance
making Spanish the town's official language.

Any city worker who helps the U.S. Border Patrol uncover undocumented
immigrants will be fired, Mayor Rafael Rodriguez said.

El Cenizo, incorporated in 1989, is an impoverished town with a high
population of first-generation immigrants, both documented and
undocumented. It sits alongside the Rio Grande about 10 miles south of
Laredo.

Rodriguez himself does not speak English and says it's discrimination in
City Council meetings ``not to speak Spanish and explain what is going on.''

``We have a right to share our opinions and know what is happening,'' the
mayor said.

The ordinances, adopted last week, stipulate that local governmental
transactions be conducted in Spanish, with an English translation provided
with 48 hours' notice.

In compliance with state and federal laws, written ordinances will be
adopted in English and translated into Spanish.

The safe haven ordinance bars city employees from inquiring about anyone's
immigration status.

``I would treat anyone the same, whether they're here illegally or not,''
Rodriguez said.