And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 12:40:38 EDT
Subject: Re: [DE] Whaling and the Makah Culture
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Allow me to suggest as reading the article "I Dont Like Green Eggs and Ham!"
by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., in the April 26, 1999 issue of Newsweek.  It is
available through the Newsweek web page, archives.  Here are some quotes:

"In North Carolina, the festering effluent that escapes from industrial swine
pens has given birth to Pfiesteria piscicida, a toxic microbe that thrives in
the fecal marinade of North Carolina rivers.  This tiny predator, which can
morph into 24 forms depending on its prey species, inflicts pustulating
lesions on fish whose flesh it dissolves with excreted toxins.  The `cell
from hell' has killed so many fish - a billion in one 1991 incident - that
North Carolina used bulldozers to bury them beneath the rancid shores of the
Neuse River and Pamlico Sound.  Scientists strongly suspect that Pfiesteria
causes brain damage and respiratory illness in humans who touch infected fish
or water.  Two years ago Pfiesteria sickened dozens of people, including
fishermen, swimmers, and state workers. .. Some corporate poultry farms crowd
a million beakless chickens in crampeddark cages,soaking up antibiotics and
laying their guts out for the duration of their miserable lives. . . "

Now go read the rest of it.  Then let us address the question what is
sutainable meat.  An animal's life has to be sacrificed to bring me a meal of
meat.  But industrial meat production raises the karmic, moral, ethical, and
biotic costs beyond any acceptable accounting.

Now what?  The Makah have a tradition.  It is of hunting a whale.

Too bad the traditions of the native people can't feed the rest of Americans.

But we can make a new tradition, with the rest of the thinking people.  And
it doesn't include racist and ignorant criticism of the Makah for killing a
sacred cow.  Er, whale.  There is a fathoms-deep malice, ignorance, and envy
inbedded in much of the mob outcry against the Makah.

There are not only too many people, but the least number of us, Americans,
consume the greatest quantity of resources, in the worst way.  Not only must
we stop the damned breeding, we must stop the damned torture of animals to
feed us.

What to do?  Don't buy that industrially-produced meat, poultry, eggs,
cheese, veggiesand fruits - it's all garbage.  Eat organic.  Don't whine
about how hard it is to afford, find, do, unless you think it's easy to kill
a whale.  And by the way, many Indian people lack the enzymatic equipment
necessary to properly digest the Amurrican diet of carbohydrates, and so blow
up like balloons, get diabetes, hypertension, high blood pressure, and a
myriad of other ailments.  It would not surprise me to learn that the diet of
glut death is killing anglos also, but differently.

Martha E. Ture

  > >  The Makah Nation is just following their culture with the whale hunts.
  > >
  > >Using motorboats and high-powered harpoons is part of your culture?
  >
  > You would rather they took the traditional approach with sharpened sticks,
  > prolonging the death of the animal?  There was much argument against using
  > harpoons or high powered rifles, because it was untraditional, but it was
  > deemed that a humane kill was of greater weight than the use of
traditional
  > tools.  I highly admire the Makah for that choice, indeed most all
  > indigenous cultures who are wise enough not to mistake the symbol for the
  > act.  The death of the whale was far more humane using the modern tools.

  I wish I knew more about this; I suppose I'd have to be there and see it to
  really get the feel for what the attitudes and intents of the Makah are.
  If, as Tully said, the Makah only kill one or two whales a year, and they
  use it for food, I have do not problem with it.  If they also have a
  feeling of gratitude and respect for the whales, then I applaud them.  How
  different things would be if would could do as much.  Tully makes a good
  point comparing what we eat and how we kill them.  Whales are no more
  important than chickens, shrimp and wheat.  If the whales are at risk of
  extinction, then it's another story.  Again I wish I had more information.

  On the other hand, if they are killing whales for money (selling meat, oil,
  bone, etc.), then I have a problem with it.  There are many ways to make
  money.  I am also assuming here that the whales in question are somewhat at
  risk, or that the number killed is significantly high enough to put the
  species at risk.

  One of the reasons I feel I'm not getting good information is that the
  wording shows great bias and huge generalizations on all sides.  "Whites"
  is a poor choice of words and very charged with meaning in the context of
  Native Americans.  "Native Americans", and its many synonyms, are equally
  over-generalized, too many various cultures to lump into one category,
  especially when discussing culture and hunting traditions.  I see the
  "Nobel Savage" ideas surfacing.  I also see the god-like "knowledge" of
  what is right and who should live surfacing.  There is also the dichotomy
  of wildlife verses domestic animals, as well as animals versus plants.

  Eric Storm