And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

<+>=<+>KOLA Newslist<+>=<+>

FROM UNIVERSAL PRESS SYNDICATE
FOR RELEASE: WEEK OF AUGUST 27, 1999

COLUMN OF THE AMERICAS
by Patrisia Gonzales and Roberto Rodriguez

THE 500TH BABOON AND OTHER MONKEY BUSINESS

An old American Indian adage says: "When the Europeans came, we had
the land and they had the Bible. Now we have the Bible and they have the
land." For the Cheyenne and Arapaho, it may have to be amended to read, "And
now, the baboons also have the land."

Last year, the University of Oklahoma was awarded $1.74 million in
federal grants to take 7,500 acres of Cheyenne and Arapaho
treaty/reservation lands in Oklahoma and make it into a research lab for 500
baboons. The land transfer didn't get anywhere then, but right before the
August recess, Republican Sen. Don Nickles attached a rider to an
agriculture bill that would allow for such monkey business.

"The rider was attached in the middle of the night," said Susan
Harjo of the civil rights Morning Star Institute in Washington D.C.

The Cheyenne and Arapaho signed their treaty with the U.S.
government in 1851, giving them 51.2 million acres. They're down to 10,000
acres, said Harjo, who is Cheyenne. The Fort Reno lands, which include the
7,500 acres in question, should have been returned in 1948 when the U.S.
Army abandoned the fort. Decades of double-dealing by the Oklahoma
congressional delegation has resulted in a failure to return the lands to
their rightful owners, she said. Her plea to the government: "Return the
lands now!"

In other monkey business, we have reports that police in Cambridge,
Mass., are being taught that pepper spray is less effective against
Mexican-Americans and other ethnic types because of their long exposure to
spicy foods. This is a "modern" police department teaching this in 1999,
purportedly presenting this information in a "professional manner."

What's next -- people of color are immune to riot sticks because
they've been exposed to the hard knocks of life?

So we enter the millennium just the way Europeans entered the
American continent some 500 years ago, wondering if the indigenous
populations were human. It took them 50 years for the Catholic Church to
answer that in the affirmative, yet it seems that the official answer has
yet to be publicized widely.

This, we believe, is what has historically led to injustices such as
racial profiling and the disproportionate incarceration of people of color
and the poor -- or by its real name, dehumanization. It is these kinds of
attitudes that have jump-started the anti-immigrant, anti-bilingual and
anti-affirmative action movements -- the belief by some that nonwhites are
less than human.

We thought we had turned a corner on the hate-radio-driven politics
of the '90s, yet that seems not to be the case. In New York, a community in
Queens -- with lots of immigrants -- is contending with anti-immigrant
billboards. In California, the Anaheim school district has just passed a
resolution calling on the U.S. government to bill immigrant-sending
countries (read Mexico) for the education of immigrant children in that
state.

The unambiguous message of the billboards in Queens is "Go Back to
Where You Came From!" Perhaps New York was chosen for the billboards because
boats would have to depart from that city in order to make their way back to
Europe. And in Anaheim, community organizer Lupe Lopez is getting
not-so-veiled e-mail threats for her role in opposing the mostly symbolic
resolution.

Well, the resolution wasn't actually so bad. At the suggestion of
Lopez, the school board attached a midnight rider that will also consider
what it owes in back rent for being part of a government that illegally took
half of Mexico and illegally took all of what is today the United States
from native peoples. It agreed that by its next meeting that they will also
have determined how much they owe for benefiting from use of hardworking
Mexican farm laborers.

Of course, the school district did not actually attach this midnight
rider (that was our joke). However, the district's call for what amounts to
reparations could indeed open up Pandora's box -- a box (containing the free
use of slave labor) that the U.S. government would no doubt rather keep
tightly shut.

What should instead happen is that the United States and Mexico
should convene to discuss how to treat immigrants like the hard-working
human beings they are, rather than as criminals or some form of subprimates.

COPYRIGHT 1999 UNIVERSAL PRESS SYNDICATE

Gonzales/Rodriguez can be reached at PO BOX 7905, Albq NM87194-7905,
505-242-7282, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<+>=<+>
http://users.skynet.be/kola/
http://kola-hq.hypermart.net
<+>=<+>
if you want to be removed from the KOLA
Email Newslist, just send us a message with
"unsub" in the subject or text body
<+>=<+>