And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 05:29:42 -0400
From: Lynne Martinez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MCIA: MICHIGAN COMMISSION ON INDIAN AFFAIRS

Catherine R. Davids, Michigan Representative
National Coalition on Racism in Sports and Media
954 N. Chevrolet Avenue
Flint, Michigan  48504
Dear Ms. Davids,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Governor's Executive Order 1999-9, which
eliminates the Michigan Commission on Indian Affairs.  I have been following this
Governor's treatment of Native Americans for all of my years in the Legislature.  My
conclusion is that he has no comprehension or caring for the issues that face Indians
in Michigan today.

I learned yesterday that the Governor is surprised that the Department of Civil Rights
will have to administer Community Services Block Grants.  He didn't know that was a
part of their work.

I will be introducing a Resulotion when the Legislature returns on September 21, to
urge the Governor to recind this Executive Order.  I don't expect it to get much
consideration under House Republican leadership.  Their interest is in protecting
their Governor.  I also met yesterday with two Natives and two editors and a writer
from the Lansing State Journal.  We are trying ot do some educuation.

I will continue to fight for rights and services for all Michigan's people.  I
appreciate your involvement.

Regards,
Lynne Martinez