And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 22:23:06 -0400
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED],[EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: Lynne Moss-Sharman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Trillium Award, family healing, Ohsweken

TRILLIUM AWARD FOR SIX NATIONS

      Brantford  Expositor 9/09/99

OHSWEKEN -- An innovative program that helps families heal together has earned the Six
Nations a Ontario Trillium Foundation Caring Community Award. The Six Nations is one
of five communities to receive the prestigious award. ``The Six Nations is an
exceptional community for many reasons,'' said Betty Lou Souter, chair of the
foundation's caring communities award advisory board. ``But the real jewel in this
community is the women's shelter. Its shelter brings women, men and their families
together so that they can heal together.''

The shelter, known as Ganohkwa Sra Family Assault Support Services, works so well that
it should serve as a model for other communities, Souter said. One goal of the Caring
Communities Awards program is to take the ``best of the best'' programs from
individual communities and share them with other communities throughout the province.
Six Nations has done a good job of integrating its social services to help both
reserve and non-reserve native people, Souter said. She added the community lives
together in harmony despite many differences.

Wellington Staats, chief of the elected band council at Six Nations, was pleased and
surprised by the honour. ``We were competing with a lot of other communities and for
us to even make it to the finals is really something,'' Staats said. ``We're really
quite pleased with this honour.'' A number of factors likely helped the Six Nations
stand out, he said, including the number of volunteers, the community's ability to get
along with its neighbours and its social services network. ``I think it has been a
whole community effort,'' Staats said. ``We have a lot of volunteers and we have good
health facilities, a nursing home and good recreation programs.''

Representatives of Six Nations have been invited to a ceremony honouring the Caring
Communities Award winners at the Glenn Gould Studio in Toronto on Oct. 21. Winning
communities receive $20,000 to invest in their community. ``We haven't had a chance to
decide what we'll do with it but I think council will likely want to do something that
will benefit the whole community,'' Staats said.

The other four winners are: La communaute theatrale franco-Ontarienne; Rayside
-Balfour near Sudbury; Rainy River First Nation in north-western Ontario and Roebuck
near Ottawa. The Trillium foundation is an agency of the Ministry of Citizenship,
Culture and Recreation. The caring communities award program recognizes communities as
a whole, not just individuals and organizations, for their efforts in making their
communities better places to live, grow, work and play.

               "Let Us Consider The Human Brain As
                A Very Complex Photographic Plate"
                     1957 G.H. Estabrooks
                 www.angelfire.com/mn/mcap/bc.html