And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 23:57:37 -0700
From: Barbara Landis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi.

I apologize for the interruption in the flow of weekly INDIAN HELPERS,
and ask you to make note of my new email address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Thanks for your patience.  I intend to continue with the weekly postings
again.  If you don't wish to be receiving these transcriptions, please
let me know.
Thanks,
-Barb Landis

 ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

           THE INDIAN HELPER
                 ~%^%~
           A WEEKLY LETTER
              -FROM THE-
  Indian Industrial School, Carlisle, Pa.
  VOL. XIV. FRIDAY, August 4, 1899  NUMBER 41
FOR THE INDIAN HELPER]
TO A WILD ROSE FROM THE BATTLE FIELD OF WOUNDED KNEE, SOUTH DAKOTA.
      ---------
   Thou dainty rose, close pressed with tender bud,
   Where thou wast plucked, has been the scene of blood,

   In brave array thy mates deck all the land,
   Wherein the long ago, roamed many an Indian band.

   The wild free life that once the Red Man knew,
   Was simple as thine own, 'neath sun and dew.

   Careless and free, no piteous shade of doom,
   Obscured their lives with fatal, fateful gloom.

   E'en as the plow lays low thy stalk and stem,
   Leaving thee withering, dead - so 'twas with them;

   Torn from their haunts, they knew not where to fly,
   Robbed of their own, they knew naught but to die.

   Hast all the warm rich blood shed near thy bed.
   Enriched and nourished thee, thou wild rose red?

   Both Red and White men's lives in thee have share,
   Changed but in form art they - and thou art fair.

   Art thou the token of a higher life,
   Art born to shadow forth the end of strife?

   May it be so!  Bloom, sweet wild roses, by the limpid stream!
   Proclaim with fragrant breath the glorious theme.

   Of brotherhood of Man!  The lives that blend in thee,
   Waft now this message o'er the miles to me.

      MARY ALICE HARRIMAN.
transmission in a very unique and interesting manner.
   MY DEAR HELPER:
     We enclose a sufficient sum for your fare, so please don your
traveling suit and start for the following destination - William F.
Sawyer, Sterling, Massachusetts, and you will soon find yourself in
the house, yes, in the very room, where "Mary, who had a little
lamb," was born and married, and on the farm where the lamb lived
its happy life, until it met its tragic fate on one Thanksgiving
morn by being tossed on an angry creature's horn.
   The lamb ran to Mary and died in her arms, and you can imagine
her deep grief after having loved and cared for it so tenderly.
   It is a pleasant place and you will meet with a cheery welcome
from the relatives of Mary Sawyer, who later became Mrs. Tyler, and
resided in Somerville, Mass.
   We once wrote a short sketch for you, and perhaps a few more words
may be of interest to tell you how the world wide incident came to
pass.
   Mary's brother Nathan, in a playful mood, proposed that she take
the lamb to school, and offered his aid to lift it over the stone
walls, across lots.
   It was a twin lamb disowned by its mother, and had not yet grown
very strong.
   Mary consented, not dreaming that the lamb would make any
disturbance, and it cuddled down under her desk, very quietly,
until she went to her class, when soon to her mortification, she
heard its little hoof taps.
   Of course, the scholars laughed, which increased her
discomfiture, so she turned it out and took it home at noon.
   A college student was present and the next morning handed her the
lines which have become so famous, or at least a part of them; it
is claimed they were added to by some one else.
   Mrs. Tyler was a very good and a very beautiful woman.
   We have seen her, and was well acquainted with a brother and his
family, and other relatives are very pleasant friends.
   The family were very musical, and would have appreciated the
singing of the song by your band.
   We little know how far the influence of even a trifling act may
extend.
   Surely a bit of fun, in this case, has been
(page 2)
           THE INDIAN HELPER
          PRINTED EVERY FRIDAY
                 --AT THE--
Indian Industrial School, Carlisle, Pa.,
           BY INDIAN BOYS.
---> THE INDIAN HELPER is PRINTED by Indian
boys, but EDITED by The man-on-the-band-stand
          who is NOT an Indian.
     P R I C E: --10  C E N T S  A  Y E A R
Entered in the PO at Carlisle as second
         class mail matter.
Address INDIAN HELPER, Carlisle, Pa.
                   Miss Marianna Burgess, Manager.
Do not hesitate to take the HELPER from the
Post Office for if you have not paid for it
some one else has.  It is paid for in advance.
   Mary Barada likes her home at Ocean City.
   Miss Botsford, Superintendent of the Pottawatomi School, Kansas,
was at Chautauqua at the same time that Mrs. Given and Miss Carter
were.
   The new arrivals - Mrs. DeLos, Mrs. Ewbanks and Miss McIntyre
seem to settle down to the Carlisle ways very comfortably and are
already a part of us.
   Genus Baird and Jacob Horne have joined the boys at
Beacon-by-the-sea, while Frank Beale has gone to take Louis LeRoy's
place in the country the latter having come back to the school.
   Edgar Rickard writes from Sanborn, N.Y. that he is getting plenty
of fruit to eat at home and that one of the things he enjoys most
is not having to begin to eat when the bell rings and stop when it
rings.
   "Patrick Henry" is himself again, now that Mrs. Given has
returned.  He is a wise cat, and has been known to go the nightly
round of inspection to see if all the small boys were in their
proper places.
   "I wish to give her special mention for her kindness with the
children," is what the Man-on-the-band-stand read on the monthly
report that came in about Minnie Finley, class '99, who is out
temporarily.
   Miss Bowersox sent blue-berries on tiny bushes by mail to Miss
Peter who was formerly a resident of the plains country, and never
saw the berries growing.  The former reports that Snyder county is
a great place for "blackberries and stones in the valleys and
huckleberries and stones on the mountains."
   From latest advices, Major and Mrs. Pratt and daughter Miss
Richenda spent Sunday at some hot springs on their way from San
Francisco to Klamath Agency, Oregon, where they will remain a few
days, thence to the largest Indian School on the Pacific Coast -
Chemawa, Oregon, then to Portland, Tacoma and other places of
interest on the Puget Sound; then east, to stop at several places
on the Great Northern.

   We have another nice letter from Mrs. Cook, who is at Pasadena,
California, with her little son.  She speaks in highest terms of
the Teachers' Institute at Los Angeles which closed on the 25th.
   She says that the "Carlisle school exhibit was greatly admired.
Levi Levering packed it up for shipment back to Carlisle.  When he
had driven the last nail, a gentleman came in and looked about with
a disappointed air.  He said he had hoped to get some of the school
work to take back to Stockton with him. 'It is better work than we
do in our school,' he said, 'and I thought a few specimens would
stimulate our pupils.'  This may be regarded as high praise, for I
heard several of the teachers say that the Stockton exhibit at the
N.E.A. was extremely good.
   The art work was looked over and over with doubts as to its
being done by Indians.  I had to assure more than one person very
emphatically that is was wholly the work of Indian pupils."  She
says the general verdict was that the Institute was the most
interesting of any held so far.
      ------------------
   Florence George and Emma Skye had a recent trip to Willow Grove,
through the kindness of Miss Kate Allen, so Florence writes, and
they all had a delightful time, as there are so many things of
interest at that near resort to Philadelphia.  Damrosch's famous
orchestra is one of the attractions, and a beautiful electric
fountain.  Oh, it is not ALL work and no enjoyment for our pupils
in country homes, and the authorities at the school wish to thank
the patrons of the school for the individual interest they take in
their Indian charges.
   Miss Seneca, of the Medico Chirurgical, Philadelphia, and class
'97, Carlisle , who has been visiting at the school, was taken by
surprise last Friday evening when a few of her friends were invited
over to the hospital to partake of refreshments with her about half
an hour before her departure for her New York home where she will
spend the rest of her vacation.  She said she enjoyed her visit at
the school for the short time she was here, and she thanks those
who so kindly remembered her.
   Miss Senseney just before she left Marblehead, Massaachusetts,
where she was attending summer school, says she has been very hard
at work in the school room, but after each days' duties were done
they frolicked like young lambs.  "There are so many interesting
old fashioned sights, that one could spend a long summer here and
not tire," she says.
   The Loysville Orphan School was represented at the Lutheran
picnic last week by their brass band.  Returning from Pen Mar they
stopped off to see the Indian School and played some very
creditable music on our band stand.  The band is composed of very
young boys, and the drummer was not much larger than the drum he
carried.
   Band practice these evenings is usually held in the shop court
where plenty of light and air prevail.  The group is quite
picturesque in appearance not to say grotesque, dressed in all
sorts of athletic and work apparel.
(p 3)
   Roasting ears!
   Delicious plums now in market.
   The Athletic field is taking a rest.
   Byron Wilde has gone to his home in the West.
   Mrs. Dorsett has not fallen in love with the Jersey mosquito.
   Miss Carter has gone to Stockbridge to spend the rest of her
vacation.
   Mr. Snyder is spending his vacation at his home in Lock Haven.
   Miss Hulme has gone to Atlantic City to spend her annual leave.
   Miss Forster will be at home in Harrisburg during most of her
vacation.
   Fancy, the pet dog of the Standing family has been quite ill, but
is better.
   The east and west additions to the school building are up to the
second floor.
   The grass on the campus is crying for drink, especially on the
croquet patches.
   A number of our boys are hiring out to near framers for a few
days at a time.
   Mr. and Mrs. Standing passed the 19th anniversary of their
wedding on Wednesday.
   Teachers' rooms are nearly all in an upside-down state getting
calsomined and cleaned.
   Miss Noble left yesterday to visit friends in the vicinity of
Philadelphia and Lancaster.
   Mrs. Bennett's niece, Miss Randall of Bucks county, came Tuesday
and will remain for a while.
   Miss Weekley left on Tuesday for South Carolina.  She goes by
steamer around Hatteras.
   Miss Jacobs, of the sewing department is off on her annual leave.
She will visit friends in Illinois.
   A new clarinetist - Allie Tourtillot - has arrived from Haskell
Institute, Lawrence, Kansas.
   Mrs. DeLos plays the piano for the mandolin and guitar girls.
Why not have  a girls' orchestra?
   Miss Wood is back to her home in Trenton, N.Y., from the summer
school at Martha's Vineyard.
   The ditch that is being dug in the flat for sewerage pipes is
assuming quite extensive proportions.
   When is a bed not a bed?  When it is a little buggy.  Of course
we do not sleep in vehicles at Carlisle.
   Miss Cutter has left the summer school at Cold Spring Harbor and
is now at her home in Amherst, Mass.
   There have been some spirited games of ball recently on the
grounds south of the school-building.
   Miss Miles gave her watch an accidental bath in a pan of water
the other day, and had to send it to town for repairs.
   The band is tackling some difficult pieces and by hard and
painstaking effort the boys are getting the finer and more
difficult parts down to perfection.  Some may think this is "play"
for the boys.  On the other hand it is WORK.

   Miss McIntyre, who has been teaching at Warm Springs, Oregon, is
now of our force of teachers, having been transferred.
   Miss Hill met Miss Ackerman, the all-around-the-world missionary,
on the Sound boat going to Boston, and enjoyed a social chat.
   Tommy Griffin has an invitation from Mrs. Joseph Taylor, West
Chester, where his sister Ida lives, to spend a few days, and left
yesterday.
   Mrs. Given and Miss Carter arrived from Chautauqua early Sunday
morning, having had a delightful time for three weeks among the
intellectualites of that famous resort.
   Edward Peters, class '99, arrived yesterday 10:30 P.M. from
Langhorne, where he has been spending some time.  He made the
entire distance of 150 miles on his wheel, after dinner.
   Mrs. Rumsport is back and at her old stand in the teachers' club
kitchen.  Mrs. Jordan who took her place for July did well and has
the appreciation of the teachers whom she served.
   A little party of friends on invitation of Misses Weekley and
Forster gathered at Mrs. Given's quarters on the eve of their
departure Tuesday for their vacation, and enjoyed ice cream and a
parting chat.
   Koklilook has gone to Mrs. Canfield's at the shore for a little
visit.  She had a good time at the shore last year and is always
benefitted.  The little traveller is one of the Esquimau girls, and
likes fish.
   Miss Nellie Robertson, teacher in No. 7, arrived on Monday with
six girls and one boy from Sisseton Agency, South Dakota, to enter
our school as pupils.  They are bright intelligent appearing young
people.
   Jose Ayarro, one of the boys from Porto Rico, had an experience
with some bees, and when Mr. Jordan asked him what was the matter
he said - "Fly scratch me," when the bees had stung him several
times on the neck.
   A sociable on Saturday night cut into the band concert, but they
gave several pieces, and there were a number of visitors from town,
among others, Dr. and Mrs. Himes of Dickinson College, Miss Beatty
and Mr. and Mrs. Bratton.
   Dr. Eastman tried his first "try" at bicycle riding one evening
this week, and it is strange what a magnetic influence the 2x3
sample cotton field and peanut plantation had for his wheel, but
the Doctor will accomplish the task, as he always does everything
he undertakes.
   The printing office had a close call from fire from the electric
motor, a ground wire at the end of the trolley having caused the
trouble.  Donald McIntosh saved the day by rushing in when it
seemed dangerous to do so and shutting off the connection.  He was
given a holiday next day for his bravery.
   Mrs. Dorsett, Manager of Girls' Department, is having experiences
among the girls in country homes, that seem rich, rare and racy to
her, it being her first visit.  She sees much to commend and shows
wise judgment in her criticisms.  From her letters we judge that
the girls have secured a new "mother" who will look well after
their best interests.
(page 4)
the means of happiness to thousands of little ones the world over.
   The little story is known in foreign lands.
   We once saw a pretty foreign class-picture in which was a little
girl and her lamb, its neck encircled in flowers.
   Her father had been induced to buy her pet, from hearing of
Mary's.

    ================
        WHITE BULL.
      ------
   The Indian is very slow to confess himself a Christian.
   He will come to church and attend the Y.M.C.A. meetings, but if
asked why he does not join himself with those who acknowledge
themselves Christians, he will probably say:
   "I do not understand; I must teach myself first.  When I
understand, I will come into the church."
   Then we often hear.
   "I am afraid to join the church.  I am afraid that I cannot keep
doing right.  Such a man is in the church and he is no better than
I."
   White Bull is a good example of a heathen Indian.  He became a
Christian.  Little by little he stopped wandering.
   He built a house and barn, put up hay for his horses and has been
faithful in attending church services.  He is a great talker, and
the Indians sometimes think him a fraud.  But he is good to his
wife, does not quarrel with his neighbors and is always ready to
help them.
   A year after he became a Christian he wrote in this way to a
friend:
   "Last May I joined the church.  It pleases me to be a Christian.
I am understanding more things so I have cut off my hair and now I
feel as if I were wholly a man."  -[Word Carrier.

      ==================
DO WE KNOW HOW TO OPEN THE BLADE?
      -----------
   The great Henry Ward Beecher once said:
   "Education is the knowledge of how to use the whole of one's
self.
   Men are often like knives with many blades; they know how to open
one and only one; all the rest are buried int eh handle, and they
are no better than they would have been if they had been made with
but one blade.
   Many men use but one or two faculties out of the score with which
they are endowed.
   A man is educated who knows how to make a tool of every faculty
- how to open it, how to keep it sharp, and how to apply it to all
practical purposed."

THE PEACE SIDE OF THE QUESTION.
          ---------
   From a very respected friend in New Jersey we have received the
following words with his letter of subscription transmission:
   "The planet Mars seems to be in the ascendant, and military
heroes who have slain their thousands receive the plaudits of the
multitude.
   Great benefactors of the human race would hardly be heard amid
the shouts and clamor of war times.
   the defenseless heathen barbarians in the far-off Philippine
Islands must be Christianized if powder and ball and swords and
bayonets of this Christian nation can accomplish the great task.
   But it is always best to keep one's OWN household in order and
not meddle with the management of others.
   The millennium seems far, distant, and the relics of the dark
ages - war, conquest, the gallows and other great evils seem still
to prevail."
   The writer in the same letter sent a few appropriate verses from
Whittier's "Reform," which will be printed in some future issue of
the HELPER.
   There are two sides to every question and the war people may
answer the above if the spirit moves them so to do.

   ======================
    AT THE SEA SHORE.
      ------
   Daisy Florence Doctor seems to be having a good time at the
shore.  She says by letter that she has a very nice country home,
and the ocean is so close to their house that she sometimes is
almost afraid when it storms.  She is afraid the high waves will
roll in over the little sand bank.
   Mary Wolf lives near at hand, and when their duties are done they
often take strolls upon the beach and gather shells as they walk.
They have been sea bathing several times and
   "Oh, what fun we did have.  The first time I went in was the most
fun for I got a dose of salt water, and I do not ever wish to have
another like it.  The wave was so strong that it knocked me over."

   ========================
       Enigma.
   I am made of 11 letters.
   My 4, 2, 7, 8 we get four times a day at the Carlisle School.
   My 1, 6, 10, 11 we have to pay when we ride on the trolley car.
   My 5, 9, 3 is the best kind of clothing on cold winter days.
   My whole is what we consider a disgrace at the Carlisle School.
   ANSWER TO LAST WEEK'S ENIGMA:  Kept cool.

  Transcribed weekly by Barbara Landis, http://www.epix.net/~landis.