    Date:
          Fri, 10 Sep 1999 13:40:40 -0400 (EDT)
   From:
          Pan-African News Wire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Distributed By: THE PAN-AFRICAN RESEARCH AND DOCUMENTATION CENTER
                 211 SCB BOX 47, WAYNE STATE UNIVERSITY
*********       DETROIT, MI 48202-- E MAIL: [EMAIL PROTECTED] *********

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 07:58:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: Paul Lefrak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 22:55:51 -0700
From: Michael Novick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [ARA] FBI revelations may justify new look at Peltier case
Published: Wednesday, September 8, 1999

FBI revelations may justify new look at Peltier case

Tim Giago

 >Syndicated Columnist Let's face it: The FBI was not very popular on the
 >Pine Ridge Reservation in the 1970s. Because they are the outside law
 >enforcement agency responsible for addressing federal crimes on Indian
 >lands, their lack of popularity is understandable.

 >On June 26, 1975, two FBI agents were shot to death near Oglala on the Pine
 >Ridge Reservation. Ronald Williams, 27, and Jack R. Coler, 28, lost their
 >lives in a shootout with the members of the American Indian Movement.

 >Eventually, Leonard Peltier, an Ojibwe, was charged with the crime and
 >convicted. He is still imprisoned at Fort Leavenworth Federal Prison in
Kansas.

> [...]
 >with their assailants before being wounded and eventually killed.
 >
 >Both had been executed with shots to the head. A large-caliber bullet
 >pierced one agent's hand as he apparently lifted it to protect his head.

 >It was this final, callous act against the wounded officers that brought
 >the ire of the FBI and federal justice system down on the heads of those
 >involved.

 >Everyone on the Pine Ridge Reservation was pretty fed up with the
 >strong-arm tactics of the FBI and federal marshals by then.

 >1975 had been a particularly tough year for residents of the reservation.
 >Caught between the violent actions of two opposing factions, most of the
 >people just wanted the reservation to return to the peace they had known
 >for years.

 >The FBI and other federal officers had not endeared themselves to the
 >people. More often than not they knew little or nothing about the culture,
 >traditions or spirituality of the people they were assigned to police.
 >They had been accused more than once of unlawfully breaking into the homes
 >of innocent people and terrorizing them. They flashed their badges and used
 >threats to intimidate.

 >Most Pine Ridge residents just wondered when this nightmare would end.

 >Does that excuse those who took it upon themselves to brutally murder
 >agents Williams and Coler? Of course not. But given the volatile situation
 >that existed on the reservation at the time, it was bound to happen.

 >It was almost as if a state of war existed between the feds, AIM and other
 >innocent Indian people living on the reservation. There was anger, hatred
 >and fear to be found in abundance everywhere on the reservation.

 >The latest revelations about the conduct and suppression of evidence by the
 >FBI in the Waco standoff with the Branch Davidians, when incendiary
 >tear-gas grenades were lobbed into the compound and may have caused the
 >horrible fire that killed so many innocent men, women and children, an
 >action kept secret by the agency for six years, does nothing to build on
 >its credibility.

 >Years ago I wrote that if, as many believe, Peltier was not given a fair
 >trial, then for goodness' sakes, give him another trial. In light of so
 >many discrepancies becoming evident in many cases and issues involving the
 >FBI, it is entirely possible that Peltier was a victim of an overzealous
 >FBI campaign to find and convict someone, anyone, for the death of their
 >comrades.

 >The Lakota people have tried to heal the wounds. Now it is time for the
 >justice system and the FBI also to heal the wounds. The war is over. Let
 >the people find peace and get on with their lives.

 >Giago is the publisher of Giago Book Publishing LLC in Sioux Falls, S.D.
 >Write to him at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or at 2218 Jackson Blvd., Suite 9,
 >Rapid City, S.D. 57702. Distributed by KRT (Knight-Ridder) News Service.

     In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material is
interest in receiving this      type of information for non-profit
research
and educational purposes only.

Join the "stop police abuse" list at http://www.egroups.com - subscribe
stop-polabuse

       People Against Racist Terror (PART) PO Box 1055 Culver City CA
90232
                Tel.: 310-288-5003   E-mail: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                     Order our quarterly print publication:
     "Turning the Tide: Journal of Anti-Racist Action, Research &
Education"

       End the racist death penalty! Free Mumia Abu-Jamal, Leonard
Peltier,
             and all political prisoners and P.O.W.'s in U.S. prisons!