And now:Ish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Nunavut teachers digging up history
WebPosted Tue Sep 14 16:29:07 1999
http://newsworld.cbc.ca/cgi-bin/go.pl?1999/09/14/northdig990914

IQALUIT - Archeologists have found more than 1,600 artifacts at a site in Iqaluit
that's believed to date from before 800 BC.

Archeology students from the Nunavut Teacher Education program at Arctic College have
been sifting the soil of a raised beach along Sylvia Grenell River in search of
artifacts.

They've found tools in the sand and gravel just outside of town that were made by some
of the first peoples to inhabit Baffin Island.

"What we're finding here today are the remains of primarily stone tools and the debris
from making stone tools," says instructor Doug Stenton. "It's been churned up on the
surface from about 40 years of vehicle traffic, and digging fire pits and barbecues.

The students spend the morning learning how to identify the ancient artifacts. Then
the afternoon is spent finding and classifying the tiny tools.

Nellie Kusugak is one of the teachers taking the course. She says the dig is teaching
her a vital part of Inuit history that she'll be able to pass on to her own students.

"I think all of us appreciate our ancestors that much more. No matter what kind of
weather we have fun, we have maybe an hour in class in the morning and then we can't
wait to get out here."

This isn't the only site along the Sylvia Grenell River. Doug Stenton says there are
several other points where artifacts are lying right on the surface.

When this dig is complete, Stenton says a catalogue of artifacts will be developed.

INDEPTH:Nunavut
http://newradio.cbc.ca/nunavut/
LINKS: Websites related to this story
http://newsworld.cbc.ca/cgi-bin/go.pl?1999/09/14/northdig990914#links
LINKS:
Canadian Arctic Prehistory from the National
Library of Canada
http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/north/nor-i/dorset/dors007e.htm