And now:Sonja Keohane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

        <http://www.syracuse.com/news/> This page has links to the aricles
below, including the one that I have excerpted:

                   Land claim group: Don't pay taxes
                   Group opposed to Indian land claims wants residents to
withhold
                   property taxes. Full Story
                     UCE: Judge denies citizens' group a role in land claim
                     LAND CLAIM: Background on land claim suits
                     FORUM: Discuss the issues of the land claims
                     MOHAWK: Mohawk land claim trails two others

        <http://www.syracuse.com/news/stwednesday/19990922_rpmtax.html>

© 1999
Syracuse Online

Don't pay the taxes, land claim group says Group opposed to Indian land
claims wants residents to withhold property taxes.

By Michelle Breidenbach and Hart Seely

Some Madison and Oneida county landowners are considering withholding their
real estate taxes until the counties resolve the Oneida land claim.

Scott Peterman, president of the 6,000-member group Upstate Citizens for
Equality, called on residents to join him in a "tax revolt" to force the
government into action.

"That is a plan to withhold our property taxes until such time that all
clouds are removed from our titles, and the land claim is settled,"
Peterman said to a group of about 150 UCE members who gathered Monday night
at Oneida High School. The group is researching how to proceed with the tax
protest.

The group is opposed to the Oneida Indian Nation's claim to 250,000 acres
in northern Madison and western Oneida counties. The group has organized
motor rallies in both counties and in Albany, and some members picket
Indian-owned businesses several times each week.
----end of excerpt-----