And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

American Indians gather on Alcatraz to commemorate occupation of The Rock
Sunday, October 24, 1999 Breaking News Sections
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/1999/10/24/state2210EDT0075.DTL

(10-24) 19:10 PDT SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- American Indians from the San Francisco Bay
Area gathered Saturday on Alcatraz Island to commemorate the historic Indian
occupation of ``The Rock'' 30 years ago.

During the 1950s and 60s, American Indians from reservations throughout the West were
relocated to the area under a controversial government plan to reduce reservation
populations and to assimilate Indians into urban culture. Relocation centers were set
up in Los Angeles, San Jose, San Francisco and Oakland.

In November 1969, a local group of American Indian students decided to claim Alcatraz
Island -- home of the infamous former prison -- as their own, as a protest. The
takeover lasted for 19 months and received nationwide media attention.

The anniversary celebration was worth the trip for Rebecca Duncan of Mendocino County,
who woke up at 3 a.m. to make it to San Francisco in time.

``Alcatraz was a big door that opened for us,'' said Duncan, who lives on the Round
Valley Reservation in Covelo. ``We are here today to remind people that our culture is
not dead. We are reeducating ourselves about our history.''

Historians say the 1969 takeover was a watershed event that launched a new generation
of American Indian civil rights activists.

``Alcatraz made it OK to be a native person,'' said Lee Davis, director of California
Studies at San Francisco State University. ``People came out of the woodwork to claim
that identity. It revived languages and cultural history. The consequences of Alcatraz
were quite remarkable.''

The takeover has been credited with persuading the government to end the relocation
program. For local American Indians, it was a galvanizing event that is woven into the
activist folklore of the San Francisco Bay area of the 1960s.

The parents of Berkeley's John Bellanger were relocated to Oakland from Minnesota and
Oklahoma. Bellanger was only 9 years old during the Alcatraz takeover, but he
remembers it fondly and proudly.

``It started the Red Power movement,'' he said. ``We went to Alcatraz every weekend.
There were thousands of Indians all over the place. I remember that every time I went
there, I felt like I was with friends.''

The original occupiers from the 1969 takeover were scheduled to speak at the
anniversary celebration, as was spoken-word artist John Trudell, who served as
national chairman of the American Indian Movement group from 1973 to 1979.

[Note: from all of us..to all of you..thank you..thank you..thank you]