And now:[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

  "Today's News" webpage:
  <http://www.public.asu.edu/~wendel/fyi/today.htm>

"American Indian College Fund Begins Celebration of 10-Year Anniversary With
Fundraising Gala in New York City; Lending Special Support, Village People
to Add Groove to Festivities Honoring Wilma Mankiller & Susan Simon
Tierney," PR Newswire, 1 November 1999.

["NEW YORK: Celebrating ten years as the leading force for Native American
higher education in the United States, the American Indian College Fund
will host its Flame of Hope Gala in New York City on Tuesday, November 9,
1999 ... Native American author and screenwriter Sherman Alexie will serve
as the master of ceremonies for the evening, which includes a silent
auction. The College Fund will present awards to Wilma Mankiller and Susan
Simon Tierney."]
http://www.prnewswire.com/

Augustine, Noah. "New Door Opens for Aboriginal People," The Toronto Star,
1 November 1999.

["The waters off the East Coast have been known to generate some big waves.
So big, in fact, that anyone living on or near its shores can relate some
story of how its fury has changed lives forever. Like other fishers, the
Mi'kmaq once shared these stories. Slapping against East Coast communities
today is a wave of a different sort - a wave of controversy fuelled by
sensationalist voices screaming ''equality for all'' and ''conservation.''
These cries are directed at aboriginal people exercising their newly
recognized right to harvest fish stocks ... But what are the issues behind
the headlines? Is it really about equality for all? Is conservation the
main concern of a lobster fishery that is suddenly being forced to share
this valuable resource? Listening to the debate in the House of Commons,
one might be fooled into believing the rhetoric of the Reform party that
''two sets of rules are going to apply to two sets of people.'' ... The
challenge for aboriginal leaders is to balance the traditional and
contemporary movements while representing the aboriginal community as a
whole. It is interesting that aboriginal peoples who were once criticized
for being lazy are now being criticized for working ... The public must
come to realize that aboriginal peoples, representing less than 2 per cent
of the regional population, are not looking to overhaul the fishery or
logging industries, but simply to participate in them."]
http://www.thestar.com/

Eggertson, Laura. "Wounds of Oka Heal for Powerful Mohawk Woman Analysis,"
The Toronto Star, 1 November 1999.

["Nine years after a bayonet wound that marked the end of the low point in
Canada's relationship with its original peoples, the scar on Waneek
Horn-Miller's chest has healed. But as tensions escalate for native and
non-native fishing communities in Atlantic Canada, they transport the
Mohawk woman back to Oka in Quebec - and the day a soldier's bayonet
inflicted the wound ... Now 23, Horn-Miller hopes she will never see
another Oka. Relations between aboriginals and other Canadians have a long
way to go but have progressed, she believes, since the siege over a land
claim that marred the country's human rights record in the eyes of the
world. So has Horn-Miller ... Horn-Miller explains that instead of erecting
barricades, more First Nations are choosing negotiations and litigation to
win rights and enforce treaties ... The federal and provincial governments'
lack of preparation for the impact of court decisions threatens to allow
angry confrontations like those over East Coast fishing to damage again the
aboriginal/non-native relationship ... Horn-Miller supports negotiations
and non-violent processes. She calls the recent victories in the Marshall
case and the Delgamuuk decision affirming aboriginal land title
''groundbreaking.'' ''I don't like violence. I've seen the worst of it,''
she says in an interview from Kahnawake. ''I wouldn't say: 'Go, go out, put
up a barricade, grab guns - without fully equipping yourself about your
rights, your history'." ... But Horn-Miller shares the frustration of many
younger peers who make up the overwhelming majority of aboriginal people in
provinces like Saskatchewan, for example."]

http://www.thestar.com/

"Evictions May Be Issued on Musqueam Lands," CBC Newsworld Online, 1
November 1999.

["VANCOUVER - The Musqueam Indian band says Ottawa will start proceedings
to evict non-native residents. Friday midnight was the deadline for 75
homeowners in a Vancouver neighbourhood to pay up or get kicked out of
their homes. The homeowners owe the Musqueam Nation millions of dollars in
outstanding lease payments. Band lawyer Lewis Harvey says the government
has decided to go to court to start repossessing the leased land."]

http://newsworld.cbc.ca/cgi-bin/go.pl?1999/10/31/musqueam991031

Frommer, Frederic J. "Hundreds Rally to Demand Release of Indian Activist
Leonard Peltier," The Associated Press State & Local Wire, 1 November 1999.

["WASHINGTON (AP) - "In the Spirit of Crazy Horse, Free Leonard Peltier,"
read one sign. "The Indian Wars are not over. Free Leonard Peltier," read
another. The couple of hundred people who showed up for a rally near the
White House Monday used signs, prayer and chants in their uphill battle to
free Leonard Peltier, who has been in prison since 1977 for the killing of
two FBI agents on an Indian reservation in South Dakota. Peltier, now 55,
himself addressed the crowd in a recorded message, telling supporters, "I
still cannot understand that with the millions of people around the world
demanding my freedom the government can still ignore it." ... Jennifer
Harbury, human rights coordinator for San Francisco-based Global Exchange,
one of the organizers of Monday's event, said she will meet with lawmakers
seeking to build support for Peltier's pardon ... Organizers said they plan
to drop off thousands of petitions at the White House on Tuesday, demanding
Peltier's pardon. According to Justice Department spokeswoman Chris Watney,
the department received a formal pardon application in 1993, which is still
pending. The president makes the final decision, and there is no specific
deadline for a decision. The White House declined to comment."]
http://www.ap.org/

Hanna, John. "Talks Between State, Tribe Futile, Federal Judge Says," The
Associated Press State & Local Wire, 1 November 1999.

["TOPEKA, Kan.: A federal judge has given up on forcing state officials and
the Prairie Band Potawatomi tribe to negotiate a settlement in their
dispute over tribal license plates. U.S. District Judge Dale Saffels
concluded that state officials have "shown no willingness" to enter talks
with the Potawatomi to settle a lawsuit the tribe filed ... In theory,
Saffels' latest decision clears the way for a trial of the tribe's lawsuit
and a decision on whether the judge's order preventing the state from
ticketing tribal members with Potawatomi tags should become permanent."]
http://www.ap.org/

"Judge Rules Jury in Lawsuit Over School Logos, Mascots Must be from
Outside the County," The Associated Press State & Local Wire, 1 November 1999.

["MENOMONIE, Wis.: A judge ruled Monday that a jury from outside Dunn
County should hear a civil lawsuit stemming from a meeting to discuss
eliminating Indian logos and mascots for schools. Karin M. Worthley filed
the lawsuit against Amy S. La Pean, claiming La Pean caused soft tissue
damage by shaking and squeezing Worthley's hand at a 1998 meeting on logos."]
http://www.ap.org/

Laberge, Mike. "Indian Advocate Pushes to Abolish Racist Mascots Coalition
Leader Brings Crusade to Colby Audience," Bangor Daily News (Bangor,
Maine), 1 November 1999.

["WATERVILLE: The movement to abolish American Indian images in athletics
began with a mother's simple, handwritten sign: "American Indians are human
beings, not mascots. " Charlene Teters, a Spokane Indian, began protesting
the use of a figure known as "Chief Illiniwek" at the University of
Illinois, after watching her teen-age children cringe as the mascot
performed at a basketball game. The protest drew threats and harassing
phone calls -- but it also caught the attention of leaders of the American
Indian Movement, who rushed to Teters' support. Ten years later, Teters has
become a leading advocate in the fight to end what she calls the "genocide"
of American Indian culture. "To those people who want to trivialize this
issue: Racism is never trivial," Teters, a founding member of the National
Coalition on Racism in Sports and the Media, told a Colby College audience
Saturday evening. To appreciate why gestures such as the tomahawk chop
performed by Atlanta Braves baseball fans outrage many American Indians,
you first must understand the racial and social injustices they have
endured, Teters said ... "I never wanted to be considered an activist
leader," she said. "Really, what I wanted to do was be a good community
member, be a good mother. " News reports of the controversy over the mascot
caught the attention of Vernon Bellecourt, a leader of the American Indian
Movement.  He quickly came to her aid and, in doing so, helped to launch a
crusade. The experience, she said, politicized her ... "I consider it a
continuation of the Indian wars," she said of her fight.  "It is happening
within classrooms, courtrooms and corporate boardrooms." ... "There is a
connection between our culture being held hostage and the hopelessness that
some of our young people feel," Teters said."]
http://www.bangornews.com/

"Natives Pulling Out Lobster Traps," The London Free Press, 1 November
1999, A11.

["BURNT CHURCH, N.B.:  Fishers from two East Coast aboriginal bands spent
the weekend removing lobster traps from Maritime waters as their first
commercial fishery prepared to close today. "They've been going out all
weekend," Alex Dedam, spokesperson for New Brunswick's Burnt Church
reserve, said of his band's lobster fishers. "(The chief) was advising
pretty much everybody to pull out their traps as of (yesterday). About 10
Burnt Church fishers had just under 200 traps in the water on Friday, Dedam
said."]
http://www.canoe.ca/LondonFreePress/home.html

SEE ALSO:

"Natives Haul in Traps," The Ottawa Sun, 1 November 1999, 17.
http://www.canoe.ca/OttawaSun/

"Navajo Nation to Focus on Domestic Violence Prevention," The Associated
Press State & Local Wire, 1 November 1999.

["SHIPROCK, N.M.: Domestic violence is not considered a crime on the Navajo
Nation but that could soon change. The Navajo Nation Council is reviewing a
measure that would make family violence a crime, spell out the rights of
victims and expand the Navajo Nation criminal code to include 24 new
offenses that involve family members.  Of the 600 total major crimes
reported on the reservation in 1999, 32 percent involved domestic violence,
said Dorothy Fulton, chief of the tribe's criminal investigations ... The
proposed Violence Against Family Act also would document the size of the
problem on the reservation, which in turn could help communities get the
funds they need to provide counseling and shelter services that are in
short supply, Fulton said."]
http://www.ap.org/

Richmond, Randy. "Native Hunger Striker Waiting for Response," The London
Free Press, 1 November 1999, A3.

["A 42-year-old Onyota'a:ka man in his 26th day of a hunger strike over
religious services for native inmates is still waiting for the province's
answer to his concerns. Paul Doxtator said he has lost about 17 1/2 pounds
(about eight kilograms), has cramps in his legs and abdomen, and can no
longer walk for long without tiring or getting pains shooting up his
calves. "I won't starve myself to death. There are limits," said Doxtator.
"But I really think the only time anything will happen is when I'm
hospitalized." ... Doxtator sent a letter to Correctional Services Minister
Rob Sampson Oct. 5 and began his hunger strike Oct. 6. He is demanding
provincial jails offer full religious services to natives, as they do for
other faiths. "Native people are not receiving the equal treatment they are
guaranteed under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms," he said."]
http://www.canoe.ca/LondonFreePress/home.html

Vallianatos, E.G. "The Indigenous People Should be Allowed to Rebuild Their
Land and Culture," St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 1 November 1999, D17.

["MEXICO:  I was listening to Mexico's indigenous people from the
Tarahumara Sierra in the state of Chihuahua. They spoke about their land
and those who threaten their lives, Mexican and North American timber
companies with the support of Mexican officials. These companies steal
their trees, pollute their rivers and perpetuate their impoverishment and
hunger. The social and ecological situation in the Tarahumara mountains is
verging on a manmade disaster with implications for Mexico and the United
States as well. The Tarahumara say they are losing most of their land in
the valleys. Now that they are forced to the mountains, they are powerless
to resist the robbers of their water and forests. They resent the Mexican
government's policies weakening and destroying their traditions,
particularly Mexico's industrializing agriculture that brought America's
hybrid corn to undermine their sacred corn, without which their culture
becomes empty and meaningless ... The Tarahumara people ought to be left
alone in their own land to rebuild their land and their culture. For
centuries, these courageous people that resisted colonialism. They still
do. They still worship the sun and draw strength from their ancient
traditions ... If only Mexico could listen to its indigenous people -- its
campesinos -- and learn the lessons of experience ... it might give a new
lease on life to its wounded nature and disintegrating culture. This would
also be good for the United States. Fewer desperate Mexicans would cross El
Paso for the North; and the dust bowl of Chihuahua and southwestern America
might be postponed, even canceled."]
http://www.postnet.com/

NOVEMBER IS LEONARD PELTIER FREEDOM MONTH
JOIN THE NOVEMBER PHONE TREE TO FREE LEONARD
Four calls for Freedom!
Call the Whitehouse every week
Nov 1st - UnThanksgiving!
Demand Clemency! (202)456-1111
MONDAY CALLS:  Northeast Region (North of Philadelphia)
TUESDAY CALLS:  Southeast Region (Philadelphia and south)
WEDNESDAY CALLS: Central Region
THRUSDAY CALLS:  Northwest Region
FRIDAY CALLS:  Southwest Region
you may also call Congress