Posted by [EMAIL PROTECTED] :

Subject: Indigenous Peoples at WTO Press Release
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 1999 02:22:41 +0000
From: Indigenous Environmental Network <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

INDIGENOUS ENVIRONMENTAL NETWORK
Contact: Tom Goldtooth in Seattle or Valerie Taliman at 206/296-2288,
2289
for more information or to schedule interviews. Visit our website at
www.alphacdc.com/ien

     ***Media Advisory***

Indigenous Peoples Protest WTO Policies

Forums to highlight impacts on Treaty Rights, Biodiversity, Intellectual Property
Rights, Forests, Agriculture, Border Justice & Human Rights

Date: Indigenous Peoples Forum, Wed, 12/01/99 - 6:00 pm to 11:00 pm Location:   Piggot
Auditorium, Seattle University, 900 Broadway Avenue

SEATTLE - Indigenous Peoples from the Arctic to the Amazon to Asian have gathered here
to join protests against the WTO and to call attention to the impacts of WTO policies
on Native communities that are at the forefront of environmental and cultural
destruction.

Organizers say that economic globalization policies endanger their cultures,
communities and traditional subsistence lifestyles by clear-cutting forests,
destroying fisheries, displacing populations and undermining Indigenous Peoples power
over their land and natural resources.

"The liberalization of trade policies and mining laws allows the free entry of
corporations to take over Indigenous lands, evict Indigenous peoples and claim the
rights over their resources," said Victoria Tauli-Corpuz of the Indigenous Peoples
Network for Policy Research & Education, based in the Philippines. Representatives
from Columbia and other South American countries say that the current WTO policies
have encouraged murder, genocide and the dislocation of Indigenous populations.

In the U.S. and Canada, Indian tribes fear WTO trade policies will trample
long-standing treaty rights and erode tribal sovereignty to protect Native land and
peoples. The Clinton Administration's position on advanced tariff liberalization will
increase forest destruction worldwide and destroy homelands and cultures of many
Native Nations.

"This isn't just about trade and economic development.  It goes beyond that," said Tom
Goldtooth, coordinator of the Minnesota-based Indigenous Environmental Network. "We
have grave concerns regarding free trade and its impacts on the environment, food
safety and our treaty rights. The rights of all people to have a say in their destiny
must be respected. We're concerned about the domination provided to corporations by
the WTO that commodifies our water, forests, our genes, and theft of our intellectual
property rights."

"We're issuing a call to action to all our tribal leaders to learn about these issues
and to assert our inherent rights to protect those things that are sacred to our
people," Goldtooth added.

On Wednesday evening, the Indigenous Environmental Network and the Seventh Generation
Fund are co-hosting an Indigenous Peoples Forum at Seattle University focusing on
Indigenous Peoples' rights to self-determination, cultural integrity and sovereignty.

Speakers include Chief Ed Moody, Nuxalt Nation, British Columbia; Priscilla Settee,
Nuclear Free Independent Pacific,Canada; Chris Peters, Seventh Generation Fund; Sharon
Venne, attorney, Cree First Nations; Debra Harry, Indigenous Peoples Council on
Bio-Colonialism; Victoria Tauli-Corpuz, Indigenous Peoples Network for Policy Research
and Education; Esther Nahgahnub, Anishinabeg Treaty Office; Taira Stanley, Movimiento
de la Juventud Kuna, Panama;  Cipriano Jurapo, Border Justice Campaign, Cuidad Juarez,
Mexico and Chief Stewart Phillip, President, Union of British Columbia Indian Chiefs.

On Thursday at Seattle University's Schaffer Auditorium, 900 Broadway Avenue, from
10:00 am to 2:00pm, traditional Indigenous elders from North America also will speak
about the importance of protecting Native cultures, lands and values.

The panel "North American Indigenous Elders" will include Janet McCloud of the Tulalip
Tribe in Washington; Chet Kiyou, Salish, Canada; Tom Sampson, Vancouver Island,
Canada; Lee Piper, Eastern Band of Cherokee; Vernon Lane, Lummi Nation; Chief Johnny
Jackson, Yakama Klickitat Band, and Jim Main, Sr., Gros VentreWhite Clay Society.

On Friday, a panel moderated by Chris Peters of the Seventh Generation Fund will
examine "Indigenous Peoples, Forests and the WTO."  Presenters include Chief Arthur
Manuel, Interior Alliance of First Nations, B.C.; Jeff Thomas, Puyallup Tribe,
Washington; Dune Lankard, Eyak Preservation Council, Alaska; and Chaz Wheelock, Great
Lakes Indigenous Environmental Network, Wisconsin.

Position statements from an array of Indigenous groups are available and several North
and South American Indigenous delegates are available for interviews.  The Indigenous
Peoples Networking Office has been established
at Seattle University, 900 Broadway, Lemieux Library, Room 108,
206/296-2288, 2289.

Leonard Peltier Freedom Month:
Snap Shot Updates of Events in Washington, D.C.
Opening | Victims of FBI Abuses | Women for Justice | Closing
Photos & Audio Clips
http://www.lisn.net
League of Indigenous Sovereign Nations of the Western Hemisphere
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
LISN Web Site: http://www.lisn.net