Posted by [EMAIL PROTECTED] :

Memorial Cost Has Tripled
<http://www.abqjournal.com/news/4news12-03-99.htm>
Friday, December 3, 1999

By Anthony DellaFlora Journal Staff Writer After two years of dissension, revision and
mediation, the cost of a proposed memorial to 400 years of Spanish presence in New
Mexico has more than tripled. As originally conceived, the Albuquerque monument was to
have cost about $180,000. The current estimate is $600,000. The price kept creeping up
after the project became embroiled in controversy over whether New Mexico founder Juan
de Oņate should be included. The focus of the first proposal was a bronze sculpture of
a pointing Oņate. A later proposal recommended a different version -- with more
elements and no Oņate. But city officials, at the urging of various members of the
community, ordered the artists to include Oņate in addition to other elements. The
current proposal, which will be unveiled before the City Council this month, includes
several individuals, livestock and landscaping. "I understand the original budget,"
said Gordon Church, coordinator of the city's Public Art !
!
!
!
Prog
ram, where the project originated. "But I think also we have to recognize the depths
at which this project and the issues involved with it have affected our community.
"It's obviously gained importance, and it's reflected in funding for this. It is an
important step in our history, and I think it certainly deserves an increased level of
funding." The City Council on Dec. 13 will get its first look at the latest design by
artists Reynaldo "Sonny" Rivera, who is Hispanic; Nora Naranjo-Morse, who is from
Santa Clara Pueblo; and Betty Sabo, who is Anglo. Models or sketches of the design are
not yet available, Sabo said, but the section of the memorial she and Rivera created
-- "La Jornada" (The Journey) -- will consist of several life-size bronze figures of
settlers and livestock in an area 10 feet wide by 60 feet long. Controversial New
Mexico colonizer Juan de Oņate will be among them, but won't be particularly
prominent, Sabo said. Naranjo-Morse's portion of the memorial will b!
!
!
!
e a
more conceptual "environmental" piece involving landscaping. The council will consider
design only and will not be asked to make any decisions on the funding at the Dec. 13
meeting, Church said. Under the latest proposal, approximately $550,000 would go to
the artists, but that still has to be negotiated, said Church. Improvements to Tiguex
Park would cost roughly $100,000. Pat Montoya, an official with the city's Capital
Implementation Program, said funding would come in part from $400,000 included in a
bond issue..... snipped

Oņate has been hailed by supporters as the founder in 1598 of New Mexico, the first
European-settled state in the United States. But he's hated by detractors for his
mistreatment of Native Americans, particularly at Acoma...