Posted by [EMAIL PROTECTED] :

via LISN
Subject: Post "dated" update
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 12:16:58 +0000
From: Indigenous Environmental Network <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CC: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

This report from one of our delegates just came in.  It is outdated but
provides some background on the work and particpation of the Indigenous
delegation at the WTO.  As you know, the networking of Indigenous
Peoples
at the WTO resulted in the drafting of a DECLARATION that is getting
support from all over the world.

Tom Goldtooth
Indigenous Environmental Network

 >Subject: thank yews
 >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 >From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Priscilla Settee)
 >
 >my report follows
 >please distribute wherever. P.S.
 >**************
 >
 >December 3, 1999
 >
 >Seattle and the World Trade Organization
 >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 > It is estimated that over fifty thousand of people
 >converged on
 >Seattle for the World Trade Organization meeting.
 >
 > "Established in 1995, the WTO is a powerful new global
 >commerce
 >agency, which transformed the General Agreement on Tariffs
 >and
 >Trade (GATT) into an enforceable global commercial code.
 >
 > The WTO is one of the main mechanisms of corporate
 >globalization.  The WTO's 700-plus pages of rules set out a
 >comprehensive system of corporate-managed trade.  Under the
 >WTO's
 >system of corporate-managed trade, economic efficiency,
 >reflected
 >in short-run corporate profits, dominates other values.
 >Decisions
 >affecting the economy are to be confined to the private
 >sector,
 >while social and environmental costs are borne by the
 >public".
 >
 > First Nations and Native Americans from Canada and United
 >States
 >through the sponsorship of the Indigenous Environmental
 >Network,
 >and the Seventh Generation, in partnership with the
 >Indigenous
 >Women's Network and other Indigenous organizations spent 5
 >days
 >in sessions educating their members and the  broader public
 >about
 >ways that the WTO and international trade agreements will
 >impact
 >the globe's Indigenous Peoples.
 >
 > While they were left out of formal
 >representation,Indigenous
 >peoples wasted no time in educating others present. They
 >were
 >also joined by Indigenous peoples from Central and South
 >America and Asian Pacific.
 >
 > Front and center of the Indigenous agenda are such issues
 >as
 >Forestry, Biodiversity and Biopiracy, Persistent Organic
 >Pollutants, Self-determination and Treaties, Militarization
 >of
 >Indigenous lands, Agriculture, Fisheries, Human
 >Rights/Indigenous
 >rights, and Lands and territories.
 > While some Chiefs of communities were present it is clear
 >that Indigenous
 >community
 >issues were not part of formal WTO talks. This is
 >particularly
 >disturbing as the majority of the  world's valuable natural
 >resources
 >exist on Indigenous lands.

> [...]

League of Indigenous Sovereign Nations of the Western Hemisphere
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
LISN Web Site: http://www.lisn.net