Posted by [EMAIL PROTECTED] :

From: "LPDC" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Plan of Action
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 19:30:27 -0600

Plan of Action-Free Leonard Peltier
December 99-February 2000

DECEMBER 10, ANNIVERSARY OF THE  INTERNATIONAL DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS
On December 10, 1948 the Universal Declaration of Human Rights was signed.
On this day we should remind President Clinton  that the U.S. signed the
International Declaration of Human Rights and the continued incarceration of
Leonard Peltier violates it.  On December 10, 1999 flood the White House
with phone calls and faxes.  During the weeks prior to this date you can
collect letters of support to be faxed. To maximize your efforts, arrange
phone trees so that the comments line will receive as many calls as possible
on this day.  This will be conducted and coordinated internationally. The
president traditionally grants clemencies in December making this effort
extremely important. Recruit as many people as possible to make this
important phone call!  This will help to build upon the progress made from
the November campaign.

FEBRUARY 6, 2000-ORGANIZE SIMULTANEOUS ACTIONS
Sunday, February 6, 1999 will mark Leonard Peltier’s 24th year in prison.
Last year over 50 cities internationally organized local protests calling
for Leonard Peltier’s release.  This year we are proposing similar
simultaneous actions, except that this time our ultimate focus will be on
March’s parole review hearing and community coalition building and outreach.
Organize local meetings, conferences, and planning sessions.  Invite the
general public, human rights organizations, church groups, activist groups,
unions, students, professors, etc. to participate.  Show videos, distribute
literature, collect letters for the upcoming parole review hearing. Collect
names, addresses, and phone numbers for a mailing lists and ask people to
pledge their support for the year 2000.  Establish working coalitions.  The
Senate and House can influence the Parole Commission.  Submit an open letter
from your community to your governmental representatives asking them to
support Leonard Peltier’s release through parole.  Fax this letter to your
local media sources along with press releases for your actions (Sample
letters and press releases will be posted). You can conclude your meetings
with marches, vigils, and/or by visiting your local senate and house reps
the following day. Leonard Peltier asks that we organize ourselves as
collectives and divide organizing tasks among all committed to carrying out
the campaign.  Please let us know if you are organizing something so that we
can help you publicize it and send you relevant materials.  The Leonard
Peltier Defense Committee Organizing Handbook is available and might be very
helpful to you (5.00 donation + 1.00 shipping and handling requested).
Remind everyone that this campaign is urgent.  The longer we wait to act,
the less chance we will have of being successful.  Leonard Peltier’s health
is deteriorating, don’t let him spend one more year in prison!  Work in
unity and stay focused!
NOTE:  If you are located in Canada, focus your campaign on Minister of
Justice Anne
Mc Lellan and the extradition review.

PAROLE REVIEW HEARING
Leonard Peltier has a parole review hearing scheduled for this March (the
date could be postponed).  He is long overdue for release through parole,
and it is one of his most viable options for freedom.  It is very important
that we be prepared to pressure the Parole Commission to release him this
March.  Indirectly, we can use the media and Congress to pressure the
commission.  Directly, we can collect letters from churches, unions, human
rights organizations, the general public, etc. and send them to the parole
commission.  Please use the LPDC’s sample letters to base your
communications on.  The parole commission has been extremely hostile toward
Leonard, so we must bring enough pressure from responsible human rights
organizations, the public, media, etc. to ensure that this time they follow
their own guidelines and let him go.  This campaign will begin this January,
at which point sample letters and sample press releases will be made
available.   Plan peaceful media events such as vigils in your community for
the night before the parole hearing (date TBA).

It's 1999, why is Leonard Peltier still in prison???

Leonard Peltier Defense Committee
PO Box 583
Lawrence, KS 66044
785-842-5774