Posted by [EMAIL PROTECTED] :

Indians not treated equally, civil rights committee told
BY JOE KAFKA The Associated Press
http://www.journalstar.com/stories/loc/sto1  -- PHOTO

RAPID CITY, S.D. -- Indians are not treated fairly by law officers,
prosecutors and courts in South Dakota, the state Advisory Committee to the
U.S. Civil Rights Commission was told Monday.

However, law officers and prosecutors insisted they do not discriminate
against Indians and have been diligent in investigating unsolved Indian
deaths.

Despite those assurances, the head of the Civil Rights Commission accused the
U.S. attorney and a top FBI official of being insensitive to Indians'
pervasive feelings of racism. Mary Frances Berry said she was disappointed in
the testimony of Ted McBride, U.S. attorney, and Chip Burrus Jr., assistant
special agent in charge of the FBI, Minneapolis.

"I've never heard such unawareness of how people distrust you, people you're
supposed to be serving," Berry said. "Everything isn't fine and dandy."
McBride had just told the panel that his office is restricted by federal
rules in what it can reveal about criminal investigations. And Burrus had
said the FBI has gone to great lengths to solve the murders of two Oglala
Sioux Tribe members near Whiteclay, Neb., at the edge of the Pine Ridge
Indian Reservation. <SNIP>  (entire article at above Link.)