Posted by [EMAIL PROTECTED] :

link provided by Robert Quiver..thanks!
USCRC hearing focuses on Native American injustice
http://www.msnbc.com/local/knbn/2404.asp
On Monday, the State Advisory Committee to the US Civil Rights Commission listened to
testimony concerning allegations of injustice against Native Americans in South Dakota.

Voice your opinion on the NewsCenter1 Billboard!
http://bbs.msnbc.com/bbs/local-knbn/index.asp

The discussions focused on the deaths of eight Native Americans along Rapid Creek, the
discovery of Robert Many Horses’ body in a trash can in Mobridge, and the slayings of
two men outside Pine Ridge last summer. But is racial prejudice to blame for the
deaths and for the lack of arrests in several cases? After twelve hours of testimony,
the Civil Rights Commission hopes to have those answers. The message is familiar.

“We always said this is one of the most racists states in the Union as far as Indian
people are concerned. It’s bad all over the place here in South Dakota. You can cut it
with a knife,” says Bellecourt. Native Americans say that racism is what caused the
deaths of the men near the reservation. Bellecourt says, “We were called into Mobrige
when Many horses was stuffed in a garbage can upside down, and we were called into
Sisseton when the young man was run over by a car.” Allegations of prejudice,
disparity, and discrimination were addressed by the panel. Attorney Charles Abourezk
spoke to the commission on behalf of the mother of Robert Many Horses.

“We are still hopeful that the federal authorities who are now investigating this will
come up with something and she will feel like she has been better served, but until
them I think she’s pretty discouraged in the justice system,” says Abourezk.

Bellecourt agrees, “We are calling for a federal inquiry into the misconduct of law
enforcement in handing these cases.” Bellecourt and others just may get what they ask
for.

“We are very much interested in the killings, the loss of life goes beyond any other
kind of abuse that people have to tolerate, and so we are very interested in making
sure the FBI and other law enforcement people act to resolve these cases. It has just
taken too long and doesn’t inspire confidence,” says Dr. Mary Frances Berry Many
individuals who attended the hearing on Monday said there is injustice in law
enforcement on both the local level and the Federal level. They feel that injustice
has allowed racial hatred and prejudice to continue for too long in South Dakota, and
has resulted in the unsolved deaths of Native Americans. Dr. Berry questioned the FBI
Assistant Special Agent in charge, James Burrus at length if he acknowledged that
there was a huge amount of distrust and and lack of confidence in law enforcement. He
said that they work to try and improve it every single day.

Vernon Bellecourt, American Indian Movement “We will not cooperate with the FBI until
there’s a thorough investigation to figure out their capability and wrongdoing. They
stand totally discredited on the Pine Ridge Reservation, on other reservations across
South Dakota, and across the country.” The American Indian Movement also alleged that
the FBI infiltrated the American Indian Movement and asked for a Federal inquiry in
the Wounded Knee Trial. Bellecourt states, “We have information that they furnished
guns, ammunition, and money to the Richard Wilson Government in 1971, 1972, and 1973,
and those of course were used to kill Indian people.” The goal of the Civil Rights
Commission is to enter a new millennium leaving the last centuries of hatred and
prejudice behind. The Civil Rights Commission has no power of law enforcement.
Instead, it will make recommendations to the US Attorney General, should there be a
recommendation for prosecution.