Posted by [EMAIL PROTECTED] :

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 12:44:31 EST
Subject: ACTION ALERT:  ANTI-INDIAN ART

Tonight, December 13, 1999, the Albuquerque City Council will meet to
consider and approve a memorial to be placed in Tiguex Park which will
include a statute of Juan de Onate.  Onate, the first Spanish territorial
governor of New Mexico, was convicted of atrocities against Indians under
Spanish law and banished to Spain.  The image of Onate is a form of race
harassment of Indians.

On top of that, can you imagine anyone putting up a statue of a convicted war
criminal?

This project is an insult to the Indians of New Mexico and it sets a
prececent to mock Indians everywhere.

Are you willing to tell the Albuquerque City Council that you will spend your
tourist dollars elsewhere if the monument goes forward?  Do you belong to an
organization that is willing to boycott Albuquerque and New Mexico if Onate
is part of it?

The Council meets at 5:00 p.m. tonight, so immediate action is needed.

CONTACTS:

E-mail:  Doreen Jaramillo, Clerk of the Council:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Fax:  (505) 768-3227

Telephone:  (505) 768-3100

SUGGESTED MESSAGE:

Do not approve the Cuarto Centenario Memorial so long as Juan de Onate is in
it.  He is a convicted war criminal.  If Albuquerque erects a monument which
includes a war criminal, I will not spend my tourist dollars in Albuquerque
or in New Mexico, and I will actively urge the organizations I belong to to
boycott Albuquerque and New Mexico.

Web site for the City of Albuquerque:  www.cabq.gov

Jim Zion
Navajo Working Group for Human Rights