Good afternoon

Please find the following news release from the Union of BC Indian Chiefs.

NEWS RELEASE
December 14, 2011

Union of BC Indian Chiefs Applauds UN Inquiry into Missing and Murdered
Aboriginal Women

(Coast Salish Territory/Vancouver BC, December 14, 2011)  An inquiry into the
missing and murdered Indigenous women in Canada is being launched by the United
Nations Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW).

"The Union of BC Indian Chiefs welcomes the inquiry undertaken by the CEDAW
into the murders and disappearances of Indigenous women and girls and believes
it will finally hold the Canadian government to account on the international
stage," said Grand Chief Stewart Phillip, President of the Union of BC Indian
Chiefs.  "To truly address and eliminate the tragic and devastating issues of
violence against Indigenous women and girls, the Harper Government must be
compelled and forced to examine the intersecting and deeply-rooted factors of
poverty, colonialism, and systemic racism.  We hope that the Harper Government
will not try to block the inquiry as we believe an open and inclusive inquiry
can be helpful in addressing this national tragedy."

"The Union of BC Indian Chiefs supports the efforts of Native Women's
Association of Canada, the Canadian Feminist Alliance for International Action,
Downtown Eastside Women's Centre and February 14th Women's Memorial March
Committee and we will fully cooperate with the CEDAW inquiry," said Grand Chief
Phillip.  "This is not only a 'women's issue', this is a fundamental and
universal human rights issue."

In conclusion, Grand Chief Phillip stated "Our hearts and prayers forever go
out to the families who lost their loved ones and to their many friends who
continue their commitment to ensure justice will be served.  The UBCIC joins
them and will never abandon the families who have lost a daughter, a sister, a
mother, an aunt and a grandmother."

Media inquires:
Grand Chief Stewart Phillip, Union of BC Indian Chiefs
Phone: (250) 490-5314

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: