Aboriginal communities to be big beneficiaries of pipeline

Opinion: Enbridge offering First Nations along the Northern Gateway project's
right of way hundreds of millions in economic benefits, plus jobs

By John Carruthers, Special to The Vancouver Sun
June 25, 2013 5:06 PM

http://www.vancouversun.com/business/bc2035/Aboriginal+communities+beneficiaries+pipeline/8578085/story.html

[cid:image001.jpg@01CE71C9.B0F9D010]

Douglas Channel at Kitimat is the proposed termination point for the proposed
Enbridge Northern Gateway oil pipeline.
Photograph by: DARRYL DYCK, THE CANADIAN PRESS
The Northern Gateway pipeline holds enormous economic potential for British
Columbians in every corner of the province. It will generate thousands of jobs,
offer new skills training opportunities, and help provide the revenue we need
to support vital public services like health care and education. And it's
important to note that Northern Gateway will also provide aboriginal
communities along the proposed right-of-way with hundreds of millions of
dollars in new economic development and opportunity.
>From the start, Northern Gateway has been committed to fully involving
>aboriginal communities at every level of project development. We support
>Premier Christy Clark's conditions and are working with aboriginal communities
>to ensure that Northern Gateway provides them with a lasting economic, social,
>and environmental legacy.
For example, Northern Gateway's Aboriginal Benefit Package includes a
10-per-cent equity ownership offer that will give aboriginal communities a
direct interest in the project's success and generate approximately $280
million to these communities over the next 30 years. This is approximately
$230,000 per year for most neighbouring communities over the first 30 years of
the project.
Furthermore, equity participation is risk-free. No funding is required from
aboriginal communities as their participation is financed through their direct
revenues from the project.
The benefit package also includes targeted investments to help aboriginal
business people develop new opportunities. It includes training programs to
give people the skills they need for in-demand jobs like heavy equipment
operation, pipefitting, ironworking, welding and surveying. And with the help
of local colleges in B.C. and Alberta, we're making sure aboriginal graduates
are linked to work in their fields.
At least 15 per cent of the workforce for Northern Gateway will be from
aboriginal communities, and we've already committed $3 million in training
funds to help people develop the skills and train for the types of jobs that
will be needed. All told, the aboriginal benefits will approach $1 billion over
the life of the project.
Through the use of detailed aboriginal traditional knowledge studies,
aboriginal people are helping to determine the pipeline's design and route. As
well, aboriginal representatives have joined us on strategic watercourse
assessment and reconnaissance fieldwork, and have provided input on the
selection of water crossing locations.
We are also asking coastal First Nations to work directly in helping us fulfil
our commitment to world-class programs in the area of marine transportation
safety and marine emergency preparedness and response.
In addition, communities along the right-of-way, including many aboriginal
representatives, have provided input at thousands of meetings, 43 open houses,
and 400-plus community presentations. Their input has helped lead to changes in
the proposed project route and a $500-million package of enhancements in the
areas of monitoring and analysis, in-line inspection surveys, and pipeline wall
thickness.
The partnership we're seeking with aboriginal people reflects our overall
vision for the project. It's about building a strong economy in a protected
environment. It's about giving their children the same opportunities we have
had to get good jobs, raise families and live in strong communities.
The Northern Gateway pipeline provides the potential to grow our economy and
secure a brighter future for aboriginals and for all British Columbians. We
believe that's a future worth striving for.
John Carruthers is president of Enbridge Northern Gateway Pipelines.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: