Isolated community scrambles after fire guts only grocery store

RCMP is investigating cause of fire, which it terms 'suspicious'

BY KEVIN GRIFFIN, VANCOUVER SUNJULY 13, 2013

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Isolated+community+scrambles+after+fire+guts+only+grocery/8656157/story.html

Bella Bella, B.C.'s third-largest First Nations community with a population of
2,500, has no road access to the mainland but does have a ferry and airport.
Photograph by: Les Bazso, PNG Files, Vancouver SunThe remote community of Bella
Bella on the central coast of B.C. is reeling after its main community
building, housing the only grocery store and post office, was destroyed in a
fire early Friday.

No one was injured in the fire that started some time around 3 a.m., said
Marilyn Slett, chief councillor for the Heiltsuk First Nation, which owns the
building.

"It's devastating to our community," Slett said in a phone interview from Bella
Bella. "It's the heart of our community. It's a bit surreal right now."

She said the province's thirdlargest First Nations community of 2,500 is
rallying to support the cleanup efforts. "Our primary concerns are restoring
the essential services to our community," she said.

Slett said the building is so severely damaged it isn't salvageable. She had no
estimate on the cost of the fire damage.

The building housed the Waglisla Band Store, post office, liquor store and
café. Slett said she's working on setting up a temporary grocery store in the
United Church in Bella Bella.

Bella Bella is on Campbell Island on Lama Passage in the Great Bear Rainforest.
It has no road access to the mainland. Described as the Gateway to the
Rainforest, the community has a BC Ferries terminal and an airport with regular
flights to Port Hardy on Vancouver Island, which is 181 kilometres to the south.

Slett said the Heiltsuk Nation building that burned down is about 35 years old.

The fire will have an economic impact on the community because of the 30 to 50
people who worked in the businesses and organizations in the

building, Slett said.

"We're trying to set up plans for our staff," she said. "It employs a lot of
people in our community. We have to look at people who were supporting their
families."

Sgt. Glen Caston, of the Bella Bella RCMP, said police are investigating the
cause of

the fire.

"It was a suspicious fire," he said. "We don't have a cause for the fire -
that's what I mean by suspicious."

He said that the fire was "absolutely devastating" for the community.

He called it an important meeting place in Bella Bella.

"This is a very resilient community," he said. "There are plans already to get
past this."

kevingrif...@vancouversun.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional