From: First Peoples Human Rights Coalition
[mailto:firstpeoplesrig...@earthlink.net]
Sent: July-22-13 6:08 AM
To: firstpeoplesrig...@earthlink.net
Subject: Statement by the Special Rapporteur on Panel on the Declaration on the
Rights of Indigenous Peoples. 6th session of the Expert Mechanism

>From the statement below: "But I have been alarmed to see that, beyond these
>initiatives that are specifically aimed at indigenous peoples' concerns, there
>remains a significant lack of awareness within the United Nations system about
>the Declaration and its implications for the various aspects of United Nations
>programming at the global and country levels."

_______________________________

Statement by the Special Rapporteur on
Panel on the Declaration on the
Mechanism<http://unsr.jamesanaya.org/statements/statement-by-the-special-rapporteur-on-panel-on-the-declaration-on-the-rights-of-indigenous-peoples-6th-session-of-the-expert-mechanism>

http://unsr.jamesanaya.org/statements/statement-by-the-special-rapporteur-on-panel-on-the-declaration-on-the-rights-of-indigenous-peoples-6th-session-of-the-expert-mechanism

[http://unsr.jamesanaya.org/images/stories/logos/unlogo_blue.jpg]

Statement by James Anaya,

Special Rapporteur on the rights of indigenous peoples

6th session of the Expert Mechanism on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples

Human Rights Council,  Geneva, Switzerland

Panel on  the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples

I am grateful for the opportunity to participate on this panel on the
Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.

The United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples stands as an
important impetus and guide for measures to address the concerns of indigenous
peoples around the world and to move toward reconciliation. An authoritative
instrument with broad support, the Declaration marks a path toward remedying
the injustices and inequitable conditions faced by indigenous peoples, calling
on determined action to secure their rights, within a model of respect for
their self-determination and distinctive cultural identities.

As I have stated in the past, the Declaration is fundamentally a remedial
instrument, aimed at overcoming the marginalization and discrimination that
indigenous peoples systematically have faced across the world as a result of
historical processes of colonization and dispossession. The Declaration is also
a reminder that these processes and their legacies shamefully persist and are
reproduced today in various forms. It thus calls upon States and the
international community as a whole to put an end to these processes, and to
take steps to bring about the effective enjoyment by indigenous peoples of the
human rights that they have been denied.

We can readily see that promoting respect for and full application of the
provisions of the Declaration is a complex process that requires sustained
efforts involving a myriad of State and other actors. However, in line with its
primarily remedial thrust, and consistent with other international human rights
instruments, the Declaration calls upon States to play a central role in
operationalizing the Declaration. In almost all of the Declaration's
provisions, States are called upon to adopt specific affirmative measures in
relation to the various rights. Thus, for example, article 27 requires States
to establish a process for recognizing indigenous peoples' laws, traditions,
customs and land tenure systems, and article 14 requires States to take
"effective measures" to ensure that indigenous peoples have access to a
culturally appropriate education in their own languages.

In my work as Special Rapporteur, I have been encouraged to see in many
countries the adoption of new constitutions, laws, and regulations and the
making of judicial decisions that to one degree or another incorporate the
standards of the Declaration. But for the most part there remains a wide gap
between the rights affirmed in the Declaration and their enjoyment by
indigenous peoples in everyday life. Greater efforts are required by States to
implement the standards of the Declaration and to harmonize existing laws
policies and programs with those standards. These efforts require raising
awareness among State officials about the content and meaning of the
Declarations, and the full and adequate consideration of the Declaration's
terms in all aspects of executive, legislative and judicial decision making
that are relevant to indigenous peoples.

Numerous other actors, of course, have a role to play in implementing the
Declaration. The Declaration specifically calls upon the United Nations system
to promote respect for and full application of the provisions of the
Declaration. We can see today a number of initiatives within the various
mechanisms and agencies of the United Nations to advance the rights of
indigenous peoples. But I have been alarmed to see that, beyond these
initiatives that are specifically aimed at indigenous peoples' concerns, there
remains a significant lack of awareness within the United Nations system about
the Declaration and its implications for the various aspects of United Nations
programming at the global and country levels. Much remains to be done to
mainstream the Declaration and to ensure action that is conducive to
implementing its provisions throughout United Nations system.

The private sector also has a role to play in implementing the Declaration,
especially business enterprises that develop or seek to develop natural
resources around indigenous territories, as explained in my report the Human
Rights Council last year, and as will be elaborated upon further in my upcoming
report to the Council. As reflected in the Guiding Principles on Business and
Human Rights that have been endorsed by the Human Rights Council, there is an
increasing awareness that transnational corporations and other business
enterprises have an independent responsibility to respect human rights. It
should be understood that this human rights responsibility includes the
responsibility of business enterprises, including extractive companies, to
respect the rights of indigenous peoples in accordance with the Declaration.

The implementation of the Declaration clearly also requires the active
involvement of indigenous peoples, their authorities and organizations, in a
spirit of cooperation with States and other relevant actors. The Declaration
will simply not work without this involvement.

Moreover, the kind of structural changes required to put into effect indigenous
peoples' rights in accordance with the Declaration will require a broader
involvement of a range of civil society actors, including NGOs, the media, and
educational institutions. Engagement of these actors is necessary to advance
broad public understanding about the issues confronting indigenous peoples, the
need for healing and reconciliation, and the role of the Declaration in
bringing about that healing and reconciliation. In my view, without such public
understanding, implementation of the Declaration will continue to be fraught
with obstacles.

I would like to conclude by reaffirming my own commitment as Special Rapporteur
to continuing to advocate for the full enjoyment of the human rights of
indigenous peoples in accordance with the Declaration. All of my work as
Special Rapporteur has been guided by the Declaration, and in all my
interactions with Governments, indigenous peoples, and the United Nations
system, I have pressed for its implementation.

Again, I am grateful for the opportunity to address the distinguished members
of the Expert Mechanism and the representatives of indigenous peoples and
States who are present.

Thank you and I look forward to our interactive dialogue.

* * *

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: