International human rights delegation to investigate treatment of First Nations
MARK HUME

VANCOUVER - The Globe and Mail

Published Friday, Aug. 09 2013, 8:00 AM EDT

Last updated Friday, Aug. 09 2013, 8:00 AM EDT

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/international-human-rights-delegation-in-prince-george-to-investigate-treatment-of-first-nations/article13677723/

The first of three international delegations coming to Canada this year to
investigate the treatment of First Nations people has been hearing harrowing
tales about women who vanished along British Columbia's infamous Highway of
Tears.

Native advocacy groups say 30 aboriginal women have vanished along the desolate
stretch of highway in northern B.C. since the 1970s, and they point to the
incidents as symptomatic of a larger national problem.

"Well, that's one of the reasons to come, to hear firsthand the experiences of
those who have been through this experience, who have lost their mothers, their
daughters, their aunts, their sisters," Dinah Shelton, of the Inter-American
Commission on Human Rights, said Thursday during a break in hearings in Prince
George.

"These are very difficult stories to hear. And we are taking this hearing
seriously. I know the government is as well," said Ms. Shelton, a U.S. law
professor who is one of seven commissioners elected to the IACHR by the general
assembly of the Organization of American States.

Ms. Shelton, who is investigating the issue along with another IACHR
commissioner, Tracy Robinson, a lawyer from Jamaica, said in addition to
speaking with the families of victims they have held meetings with federal and
provincial government officials, the RCMP and native organizations.

"There has been extraordinary co-operation. We've been able to go everywhere
and talk to everyone we have wanted to meet with," said Ms. Shelton, whose
organization last year sought and received permission from Ottawa to
investigate allegations of human-rights abuses in Canada.

"We were in Ottawa. We were in Vancouver yesterday. Today we are in Prince
George. We're going back to Vancouver tomorrow and then we will hold a final
conversation with the federal government," said Ms. Shelton, who promised a
report by November.

A recent study by the Native Women's Association of Canada found that more than
600 aboriginal women and girls have disappeared or been murdered in Canada in
the past 30 years. In a briefing paper to the IACHR last year, the association
and two other groups claimed the human rights of native people are being
violated because governments "have failed in their obligation to exercise due
diligence to adequately prevent violence against aboriginal women and girls."

Native leaders are hoping the visit by the IACHR, and upcoming investigations
by two United Nations groups (the special rapporteur on the right of indigenous
people and the UN Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women)
will lead to a national public inquiry.

"Up here, or in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside, Winnipeg, or Edmonton, the
common thread is there are a lot of aboriginal women who are the victims of
violence," said Tribal Chief Terry Teegee of the Carrier Sekani Tribal Council.
"What we'd like to see come out of this [flurry of international
investigations] is a national inquiry into the problem."

Claudette Dumont-Smith, executive director of the Native Women's Association of
Canada, agreed. "I think the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights is going
to shed new light on this," she said. "They are looking at it through a very
different lens and I think they may be able to convince the federal and
provincial governments, and the police, that there has to be a different
approach to address this issue."

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: