NEWS RELEASE
August 19, 2013

UBCIC Stands with Stswecem'c Xgat'tem and Esketemc
CEAA New Prosperity Panel Visits Little Dog Creek

(Coast Salish Territory/Vancouver - August 19, 2013) Today, Chief Bob
Chamberlin and Councillor Marilyn Baptiste will witness the formal
presentations of the Stswecem'c Xgat'tem and Esketemc Elders, Youth and
Leadership as part of New Prosperity Federal Review Panel's site visit to
Little Dog Creek, the proposed crossing for the high-voltage transmission line
for the New Prosperity mine.

Councillor Marilyn Baptiste, Secretary-Treasurer of the Union of B.C. Indian
Chiefs stated "The United Nations' Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous
Peoples is a vitally important and extremely relevant international legal
instrument for the New Prosperity Federal Review Panel. The Declaration
provides a principled framework for Nations states, Provincial governments and
companies like Taseko Mines Limited to understand and work with Indigenous
Peoples, as we have our duties and responsibilities to our grandchildren. In
these hearings, Article 25 rings especially true:
Indigenous peoples have the right to maintain and strengthen their distinctive
spiritual relationship with their traditionally owned or otherwise occupied and
used lands, territories, waters and coastal seas and other resources and to
uphold their responsibilities to future generations in this regard."

Chief Bob Chamberlin, Vice-President of the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs said,
"The Review Panel will once more behold the true value of the land and waters
for the Stswecem'c Xgat'tem and Esketemc. The Cohen Commission named their
final report 'The Uncertain Future of Fraser River Sockeye' to warn of the
damaging, collective and long-term effects on the wild sockeye salmon stocks of
large-scale industrial developments like Taseko's New Prosperity Mine. The
sockeye runs of the Chilko, Chilcotin and Taseko Rivers are major runs of the
Fraser. The waters and salmon are the lifeblood of Indigenous Peoples that
weave together virtually all of the Indigenous Nations in B.C. and are part of
our inheritance which we will bequeath to our children yet unborn."

"The Cohen Commission specifically reminded the Harper Government of their
responsibility to conserve wild sockeye salmon stocks and of its statutory
powers to protect the environment in which wild stocks live," remarked Grand
Chief Stewart Phillip, President of the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs. "As
Indigenous Peoples we are obliged by strict Indigenous laws, deeply rooted
beliefs and cultural values to act as stewards of our territories so that our
future generations may enjoy and benefit from the environmental richness of the
lands and waters. Our obligations are paramount to all else. The UBCIC fully
supports the Stswecem'c Xgat'tem, Esketemc and the Tsilhqot'in Nation as they
exercise their Title and Rights obligations in their territories, court rooms
and panel hearings."

Media inquiries:
Grand Chief Stewart Phillip      (604) 684-0231

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: