Bobby Jack Fowler Highway of Tears investigation stalled
Deceased U.S. convict linked to 3 B.C. deaths in Highway of Tears investigation
in B.C.
CBC News Posted: Sep 25, 2013 6:57 AM PT Last Updated: Sep 25, 2013 6:57 AM PT

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bobby-jack-fowler-highway-of-tears-investigation-stalled-1.1867647

An RCMP investigation into a U.S. man suspected in several killings along the
so-called Highway of Tears in northern B.C. appears to have stalled.

Police said Bobby Jack Fowler, who was arrested in Newport, Ore., in 1995 and
died in prison in 2006, is linked to the deaths more than three decades ago of
three B.C. women. (Lincoln County, Ore.)

Last year, police revealed Bobby Jack Fowler's DNA had tied him to the killing
of ColleenMacMillen, 16, who was found dead near 100 Mile House in 1974.

Police said Fowler, who died in an Oregon prison in 2006, was also a strong
suspect in the 1973 deaths of at least two other young women, Gale Weys and
Pamela Darlington.

Staff Sgt. Wayne Clary, who heads the investigation into 18 murdered or missing
women along B.C. highways, says hundreds of tips received since police went
public have gone nowhere.

"We talked to, I think, every one of his family members that is still alive,
including ex-wives. We got quite an interesting background as to his activities
- like, he was a very bad guy. Mind you, he's one of many that roam around this
country and inflict this damage on women," Clary said.

"Unfortunately nothing panned out that would sort of further any of our
investigations."

  a.. U.S. convict linked to B.C. highway cold case

  b.. B.C. cold case breakthrough stirs memories

Clary says Fowler remains a strong suspect in the deaths of Darlington and
Weys, but nothing more.

In Oregon - where Fowler was convicted of kidnapping, assault and attempted
rape in 1996 - Det. Ron Benson says Fowler has been all but eliminated as a
suspect from the two 1995 killings he was believed to have been involved in.

"We're stalled right now until we find something new."

The DNA of 16-year-old Colleen MacMillen, who was found dead in B.C. in 1974,
has been linked to Bobby Jack Fowler. (RCMP) (RCMP)

Fowler was also charged with two counts of murder in Texas in 1969, but was
only convicted of discharging a firearm in city limits.

Clary says it may never be known if Fowler was involved in any other deaths.

"I think, unfortunately, he may have taken this information to the grave with
him."

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: