----- Original Message -----
From: my CNW
To: Portfolio E-Mail
Sent: Tuesday, October 08, 2013 10:32 AM
Subject: Member of Parliament Daryl Kramp Announces Support for Mohawk Language

my CNW

      Government of Canada

Transmitted by CNW Group on : October 8, 2013 13:30

Member of Parliament Daryl Kramp Announces Support for Mohawk Language
TYENDINAGA TERRITORY, ON, Oct. 8, 2013 /CNW/ - Daryl Kramp, Member of
Parliament (Prince Edward-Hastings), on behalf of the Honourable Shelly Glover,
Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages, today announced support
for the Tsi Kionhnheht Ne Onkwawenna Language Circle (TKNOLC) to develop Mohawk
language-learning tools.

"Community-based learning initiatives are important, as they contribute greatly
to the preservation and revitalization of Aboriginal languages," said Mr.
Kramp. "With this support, we are helping develop invaluable learning tools
that will benefit Mohawk communities today and for generations to come."

This investment will allow the TKNOLC to hold two sessions with 12 fluent
elders and 20 second-language speakers from seven Mohawk communities. During
the sessions, various cultural topics will be discussed and recorded, including
family roles, health, and wellness. An audio CD covering idioms, phrases, and
frequently used words in the Mohawk language, as well as a lexicon, will be
created from these recordings. The final product will be distributed to the
Mohawk Nation through schools, libraries, and language programs.

"First Nations, Inuit, and Métis languages are an integral part of our
country's identity, and our Government recognizes their importance for
Aboriginal communities and for all Canadians," said Minister Glover. "We are
pleased to support this initiative that will increase the knowledge and use of
the Mohawk language by community members."

"The lack of mother-tongue speakers of Kanyenke'ha (Mohawk language) affects
our language revitalization initiatives, and this project will document that
part of the spoken language that is only heard when fluent speakers are engaged
in informal communicative situations. Adequate knowledge and appropriate use of
this part of an oral language is an important indicator of communicative
competence. A metaphor is not simply a figure of speech, but rather it shapes
the way we think, act, and interact," said Callie Hill, Executive Director,
TKNOLC. "We are very grateful for the support from Canadian Heritage to
complete this project, which will support language revitalization efforts
across the Mohawk Nation."

The Government of Canada has provided funding of $43,080 through the Aboriginal
Languages Initiative (ALI) of the Department of Canadian Heritage's Aboriginal
Peoples' Program. The objective of ALI is to support community-based language
projects that contribute to the revitalization and preservation of Aboriginal
languages and increase their use in community settings.

Follow us on Twitter: @CdnHeritage

SOURCE Canadian Heritage

For further information:

(media only), please contact:

Marisa Monnin
Press Secretary
Office of the Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages
819-997-7788
Media Relations

Canadian Heritage
819-994-9101
1-866-569-6155
me...@pch.gc.ca

(This news release is available on the Internet at www.canadianheritage.gc.ca
under Newsroom.)

Canadian Heritage

                  Canadian Heritage - More on this organization

                  News Releases

Government of Canada

                  Government of Canada - More on this organization

                  News Releases