----- Original Message -----
From: my CNW
To: Portfolio E-Mail
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2013 10:25 AM
Subject: The Government of Canada welcomes the West Coast Spill Response Study

my CNW

      Transport Canada

      Government of Canada

Transmitted by CNW Group on : October 10, 2013 13:21

The Government of Canada welcomes the West Coast Spill Response Study
VANCOUVER, Oct. 10, 2013 /CNW/ - The Honourable Lisa Raitt, Minister of
Transport, today welcomed the study commissioned by the province of British
Columbia regarding the West Coast Spill Response Study and reiterated the
Government of Canada's commitment to a world-class tanker safety system.

"Our government is committed to protecting both the safety of Canadians and our
environment," said Minister Raitt. "Through our government's plan for
Responsible Resource Development, we are ensuring the safe and reliable
transport of energy resources through our waterways."

The Government of Canada has appointed a Tanker Safety Expert Panel that is
reviewing Canada's already robust system and will propose further measures to
strengthen it. Over the past six months, the panel has engaged stakeholders to
enhance the government's knowledge and understanding of how well the current
system is working, review our current preparedness and response capacity, and
propose new ways to bring Canada's tanker safety system to a world-class
status.

"We look forward to the results of the Tanker Safety Expert Panel review later
this fall," added Minister Raitt. "Our government shares a common goal with the
BC government - the responsible development of resources to benefit all
Canadians supported by a world-class Marine Oil Spill Prevention & Response
System."

Other measures announced by the Government of Canada as part of a World-Class
Tanker Safety System include increased tanker inspections; systematic
surveillance and monitoring of ships; implementation of an incident command
system; review of pilotage programs; new public port designations and
scientific research; a pan-Canadian risk assessment study on oil spills;
assessment of needs for new and modified aids to navigation; and a review of
the marine liability and compensation system.

Additional information can be found here:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/releases-2013-h031e-7089.htm.

SOURCE Transport Canada

For further information:

Ashley Kelahear
Senior Communications Advisor
Office of the Honourable Lisa Raitt
Minister of Transport
Ottawa
613-991-0700

Media Relations
Transport Canada, Ottawa
613-993-0055

Transport Canada is online at www.tc.gc.ca. Subscribe to e-news or stay
connected through RSS, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Flickr to keep up to date
on the latest from Transport Canada.

This news release may be made available in alternative formats for persons
living with visual disabilities.

Transport Canada

                  Transport Canada - More on this organization

                  News Releases

Government of Canada

                  Government of Canada - More on this organization

                  News Releases