HOUSTON’S FIRST PUBLIC MONTESSORI EIGHTH GRADE OPENS FALL 2009:
Major Fundraising Gala Planned for March 7, 2009

What:              Fifth Annual Friends of Montessori at Wilson Gala and Silent
Auction
When:             March 7, 2009, 7 to 10 p.m.
Where:            Treebeards on Market Square, 315 Travis Street
Why:                Funds a New Middle School at HISD’s Only All-Montessori
Curriculum Campus

The Friends of Montessori at Wilson announces its fifth annual Gala and Silent
Auction, to be held Saturday, March 7, 2009.  This year’s Gala comes at a
turning point for Wilson Montessori and Fine Arts School, as it prepares to add
eighth grade at what is already the first and only HISD campus with a
completely Montessori curriculum.  Wilson, located in the heart of the city at
2100 Yupon, serves approximately 435 students from throughout Houston and is
also a fine arts magnet.  The new middle school serves children in grades 7 and
8, and allows those who have completed elementary school at Wilson or any of
the other local Montessori programs to continue their education in a
complementary way.
The Friends of Montessori at Wilson nonprofit organization provides the
specialized teaching materials for Wilson Montessori and Fine Arts school.
Katherine Arbiter, Friends of Montessori at Wilson Chapter Vice President,
explains, “HISD provides the operating funds for the school; however, the
Montessori method requires specialized teaching materials for each classroom.
In a Montessori middle school, students work in small communities that foster
growth in all areas: intellectual, social/emotional, physical, and global
responsibility.  The curriculum blends challenging classroom work with
real-world experience as students engage in outdoor field work, internships
with local businesses, community service, and participation in a class-created
business.”
“The Wilson program has been a tremendous success, and we’re counting on this
year’s fundraiser to finalize the preparations for our eighth grade,” adds Mrs.
Arbiter. “Public Montessori schools are highly successful in other major
cities, and I am excited we can offer this option to the students of Houston
ISD.  Come help us make it happen!”
 The March 7 Gala takes place from 7 to 10 p.m., at Treebeards on historic
Market Square, 315 Travis. The event features a buffet dinner and the
opportunity to bid on fabulous auction items, including gift certificates from
local businesses, unique experiences, and vacations abroad.  Bidding is from
7-9:30 pm, with the live auction starting at 9:30pm.  Advance tickets are $30,
available by calling Kelley Slack at 713-417-3914.    Tickets will be available
at the door for $40, space permitting.
###
Contact:
Christine Soderstrom, Friends of Montessori at Wilson Gala Coordinator
Email: sunnys...@yahoo.com
Telephone: 713-880-2616
Web: www.allmontessori.org